What's new

Warner Bros. CONFIRMS Cats & Dogs WILL BE PAN & SCAN ONLY!!! (1 Viewer)

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Well that sucks to hear, as Warner does another fine job on a dvd and will piss off more people again. Don't they know that their Omsiso Jones(sorry for the typo) movie failed because people are boycotting WB. Well here comes more fuel for the fire. Let just hope they don't decided to recalled Goonies for a "few addtions".
------------------
gosalyn.gif

Support the DVD release of the Disney Afternoon for her.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
This is really freeing up a lot of cash with which I can buy Disney & Columbia family product. Columbia is actually heading in the right direction as evidenced by their Fly Away Home re-release, and I think they deserve my money as a result.
Warner's decision not to provide widescreen versions of family films because "families like fullscreen" makes about as much sense as it would to crop Citizen Kane to 1.78:1 because "film buffs like widescreen". These titles have one correct aspect ratio, determined by filmmakers rather than marketing employees or consumers, and that is how they should be presented. DVD is not VHS.
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Marc Carra

Supporting Actor
My original post was modified by HTF Admin, so I deleted it. Just like Warner Bros DVDs, if you can't see it in it's original form, it doesn't deserve to be seen.
Marc.
[Edited last by Marc Carra on August 16, 2001 at 08:30 AM]

Tyler Ruggeri

Stunt Coordinator
I was really looking forward to this disc, but now I am seriously pissed off at the WB. Goonies is looking to be the last WB title I buy for a LONG TIME if this does not shape up. I'll probably buy Citizen Kane for the movie and hopefully they'll do it right. But this has to stop, WB is made up of such fucking idiots. Don't they know they'll make more MONEY $$$$$$$$$$$$ with widescreen? I'm big time disappointed with the WB. You officially suck.
Tyler Ruggeri

SteveK

Supporting Actor
I was really hoping that Warner would learn their lesson from the outcry against Willy Wonka. Obviously, this is not the case. How many titles are they going to destroy? It looks like the only lesson they learned was not to change specs at the last minute; it's being announced from the beginning. As if that is supposed to make it more palatable.
frown.gif

After seeing the movie, I never had any intention of buying Cats and Dogs anyway, but I hate to see what WB is doing to DVD. How ironic that the very studio that did the most in DVD's early days to promote the format is now working so hard to destroy what it helped create.
Unbelievable, WB, simply unbelievable.
Steve K.

Skoobooz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
Do we know what aspect ratio Chris Columbus is shooting Harry Potter in? (If this seems irrelavant, hold on.) True, his Home Alone and Adventures in Babysitting were in 1.85, but Mrs. Doubtfire and Stepmom were in 2.35. So, perhaps if we do get The NeverEnding Story and it is indeed in its correct 2.35 aspect ratio, AND if Chris Columbus is shooting Harry Potter in 2.35 (trailers don't necessarily reveal the true aspect ratio), maybe that will mean that Warners won't pan and scan the Harry Potter DVD!
(Yes, I understand that I'm grabbing at straws, here, but I'm just so sickened by this whole thing that I'm trying to find some positive notes
frown.gif
)

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Well another non-purchase on a Warner title. In the early days Warner was the bulk of my collection, recently I have bought fewer and fewer and fewer of their sub par releases. Thank god Donner decided to put Warner in their place regarding Goonies. That title is quickly beginning to look like one of the last Warner titles I will be purchasing.
J

Kevin McCorry

Stunt Coordinator
Were it not for Fawlty Towers and Doctor Who,
I could easily boycott Warner. Neither Wonka nor
Cats & Dogs were on my to-buy list, but as I have
no love for Warner for making it impossible to replace my
VHS collection of Looney Tunes, catalog titles, etc. with
DVD, it does feel good at last to know I'm not the only
one to regard Warner as the poorest of the major DVD studios.
No to PPV, Warner.

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
I had planned on buying this movie because I could never motivate myself to go to the theater to see it. The better my home theater gets, the harder it is to justify the cost and travel to see a movie on the big screen.
But I will not be buying any title that Warner (or any other studio for that matter) releases in Pan And Scan only, ignoring the original aspect ratio. While I currently own a 4:3 ratio set, I will eventually be moving up to a 16:9 set, and Pan And Scan is simply a BAD INVESTMENT any way you look at it. Given the dictate of the FCC to move toward 16:9 content, you would think that Warner would tighten up on this...
And doing it with children's titles is just BEYOND LOW. Kids don't buy 300+ DVD's -- I DO!
Oh well... enough soapboxing. Off to plan my future Dreamworks DVD purchases.
wink.gif

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Ugh....this movie will really get P&S'ed on DVD.
Even though it was filmed open matte, this movie features a TON of CGI...and you know what that means!
I think Warner really should be releasing this movie as a double-sided disc since it's not that long (just about 90 min.). I really could care less about Cats & Dogs being released on DVD period, but Warner isn't making a lot of home theater buff friends by doing this.
The only thing I'd like to know if this is official...I find it strange that WB would announce a open-matte/P&S-only version RIGHT after all this Wonka stuff. Even the DVD websites have conflicting information.
At least WB is doing Citizen Kane and Doctor Zhivago right. I still think it's foolish to boycott WB wholly because they're so double-sided. They'll give classics the quality treatment they deserve and give family titles a good treatment, but only aimed for non-HT buffs.
Well, at least Cats & Dogs isn't a panavision movie! There's something positive!
tongue.gif

------------------
P.S.: There's no P.S.

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
Erg! I missed this one in the theater and was looking forward to the DVD. Not any more. Anyone want to go in with me and buy the Warner films from AOL?
biggrin.gif

------------------
photo11.jpg

Adrian Jones

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Do we know what aspect ratio Chris Columbus is shooting Harry Potter in?
From what I have heard, it's shot Super 35. Heard this from a few sources, and my good old aspect ratio, film format guru and HTF member Jason Whyte is barking the same answer too.
Dan (UK)

Youssef

Stunt Coordinator
it seems many of you guys are worried about the dvd version of "harry potter" being P & S instead of the OAR but the movie has not even been released yet so who knows if this movie is going to be good or maybe suck big time. I think it'll suck big time but we'll have 2 see. as far as cats and dogs being P & S, i say good job warner! lol. j/k. i dont understand why they just won't include the widescreen version on the disc as well.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Youssef,
The "buzz" on Harry Potter is excellent. Several early viewings have gotten raves. No matter, WB will be issuing it eventually and I'll bet it will be a 2 disc set with both Full Screen and Widescreen on it. Sometime in late 2002 for sure.
------------------

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
At least WB is doing Citizen Kane and Doctor Zhivago right. I still think it's foolish to boycott WB wholly because they're so double-sided. They'll give classics the quality treatment they deserve and give family titles a good treatment, but only aimed for non-HT buffs.
Patrick,
Just because they give a few classics the quality treatment, it doesn't resolve them of their past and most recent Pan and Scan dvd releases nor their lack of dvd output of many classic films. Right now, many of us are not in the mood to ignore the message Warner is sending serious film buffs.
Crawdaddy
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks