Warner Bros. back to double-sided discs for "DUKES"...why?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by MarkDukes, Feb 19, 2006.

1. MarkDukes

MarkDukes Stunt Coordinator

Perhaps Gord or David can help us out here...as to why Warner has decided to go back to double-sided discs for the upcoming May release of DUKES season 6, when after the last several seasons were one-sided affairs.

Anyone have a guess?

2. Pete Battista

Pete Battista Screenwriter

Pete
    I don't know... but I am really disappointed about this myself. I much prefer the single sided discs. [​IMG]

3. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

At least WB's double-siders aren't as bad as Universal's. It may have something to do with making the packaging as compact as possible, by using fewer discs. I posted this from another thread:

Interesting industry article on the increasing use of slim cases for DVD releases from Video Business Online:
    http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6308533.html

A few blurbs from the article:

4. Dan*T

Dan*T Supporting Actor

I agree, I was hoping for single sided for the remaining releases. Although I noticed that W.B. uses double sided disks for their Dallas releases as well..

5. RogerH

RogerH Supporting Actor

Yeah I was hoping for single sided discs as well [​IMG]

6. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Anyone who prefers single-sided discs in those overlapping cases to half as many 2-siders is NUTS!

7. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I was going to say, "Well, then I'm nuts," but I read a little more carefully and saw that I agree with you. [​IMG]

Thinner packaging, yay!

8. Pete Battista

Pete
    I still prefer single sided discs... and space don't have to be an issue... look at Charmed: Season 2 on... Macgyver: Season 2 on... and sure many other that is not popping to mind this early in the morn...

6 discs in 3 thinpaks... takes up no more room then the double sided discs in a digipak.

9. MarkDukes

MarkDukes Stunt Coordinator

What are the chances of Warner doing a box set or special edition release for all the seasons of the DUKES after they release the final season 7?

10. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

Probably zero. But if they did, it'd be cool if the entire series was contained in a miniature "General Lee", complete with working horn! Just pop the hood or trunk to access the discs.

11. Pete Battista

Pete

Even if they do... which is possible... but I don't think likely... I am happy with what I got... it would take an aweful lot (lots more extras... all single sided... much better packaging) for me to upgrade the sets.

12. Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge Cinematographer

Where are you guys basing this information from? I've seen no information about Warner Brothers going back for Dukes 6th Season since there have been no reports on this from any media sites.

13. Pete Battista

Pete
    Mark...
    We are not basing the info from anywhere... it was asked if we thoought it was possible... everyone that replied to it said we thought the chances was almost zero. and then we were just saying what it would take to actually double dip... it is just a "What if" game here.

14. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

15. Pete Battista

Pete
    LOL... ok.. I didn't think of that for some reason. :p)

16. Mark Talmadge

Ah ... and Ouch.

17. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I watched "Witness Jesse Duke" last night, and fell asleep for about 15 minutes. It wasn't the show--I just started it later than I should have. Anyway, I woke up before it was over and at first figured I got the gist and didn't need to rewind, but I finally decided to do so. I'm glad I did. I wouldn't have wanted to miss

Boss turning his back on his money in favor of his old friend. That was a great scene. I always knew Boss had a heart somewhere in there. [​IMG]

It'll never happen, but would anyone else like to see a show called "The Ridge Runners" about Jesse and J.D. when they were young? I don't know how much of the Duke family history was revealed, but maybe he would have to help raise his brothers and sisters, who would go on to become the parents of Bo, Luke, Daisy, Coy and Vance. In the meantime, he'd be running shine with J.D. at his side. Then you have the Smallville/Star Wars moments where J.D. starts going bad. [​IMG] Seriously, it could be a fun show if done right. Wonder who'd play young Jesse and J.D., though. . . .

So, I've watched the last Coy and Vance episode, and it's on to the return of Bo and Luke. I have to say, I'm glad I didn't skip S5. I am anxious to have the originals back, but I rather enjoyed watching the replacements.

18. Mark Talmadge

I have to admit that there have been quite a few episodes off this season that nI did enjoy.But, their actying did seem kind of stiff.

But, Warner Brothers does need to do a history of the Duke Family during Uncle Jesse's earlier years up until the series begins for DoH.