What's new

Warner Bros Archive Wish List 2022 and Beyond!! (1 Viewer)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Hey there everyone, I'm jumping in here with an unusual question:

I've not bought WA releases in a while, and since their official store is now closed (still not over this as I'd usually buy directly from t hem) I wanna ask you all this:

I remember a few years back there was a debate on the quality discrepancy between the discs bought from the WA official store and the one that Amazon produces of the same releases.

1 a) Is this still an issue with the Amazon produced WA releases, especially the DVD's (got some serious Hanna Barbera shopping to do this year), but for the Blu - Rays as well. Or is it completely safe to buy from Amazon nowadays?
1 b) If the issue is still present, where is the other best place to buy WA releases from?

I've been concentrating on other releases recently, so I'm a bit out of the loop.

Thanks in advance to anyone who's going to assist me on this matter!

Best,
Stan.
IIRC, Amazon doesn't manufacture their own Warner Archive DVD-Rs any longer.

Warner Archive Blu-rays have *always* been replicated, not burned.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Hey there everyone, I'm jumping in here with an unusual question:

I've not bought WA releases in a while, and since their official store is now closed (still not over this as I'd usually buy directly from t hem) I wanna ask you all this:

I remember a few years back there was a debate on the quality discrepancy between the discs bought from the WA official store and the one that Amazon produces of the same releases.

1 a) Is this still an issue with the Amazon produced WA releases, especially the DVD's (got some serious Hanna Barbera shopping to do this year), but for the Blu - Rays as well. Or is it completely safe to buy from Amazon nowadays?
1 b) If the issue is still present, where is the other best place to buy WA releases from?

I've been concentrating on other releases recently, so I'm a bit out of the loop.

Thanks in advance to anyone who's going to assist me on this matter!

Best,
Stan.
Hi Stan,
It's safe to buy anything with the Warner label today, go for it!! I buy from them all the time, and I too used to buy direct from the old WB shop, but today (minus the deals) Amazon is almost as good...the quality is better than before.

justarandomstan

Second Unit
Real Name
Stan
Hi Stan,
It's safe to buy anything with the Warner label today, go for it!! I buy from them all the time, and I too used to buy direct from the old WB shop, but today (minus the deals) Amazon is almost as good...the quality is better than before.

Thanks, Todd!

That's exactly what I wanted to hear! As long as the disc quality is good, I can rest easy! Wally Gator will finally make his way back into my life alongside other HB favorites ♥

Last edited:

Jeff Heise

Grip
Real Name
Jeffry Heise
This is what I would wish for: KING'S ROW (with all the character teaser trailers as bonus material, as in the old laserdisc), GUNGA DIN, RAINTREE COUNTY, the Rick Schmidlin restoration of GREED, CAPTAIN BLOOD, THE ADVENTURES OF DON JUAN, ALL THIS AND HEAVEN, TOO, THE CROWD, THE WIND, THE FOUR HORSEMEN OF THE APOCALYPSE (1921), MIRACLE IN THE RAIN, THE DEVILS (original cut), THE DEVIL'S BROTHER, BONNIE SCOTLAND, CITY FOR CONQUEST, A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM, THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER, THE MERRY WIDOW (1934), FIVE STAR FINAL, the Fleischer POPEYES, TINY TOON ADVENTURES-HOW I SPENT MY SUMMER VACATION, more classic WB cartoons collections, BULLDOG DRUMMOND, RAFFLES, WUTHERING HEIGHTS (1939).

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
This is what I would wish for: KING'S ROW (with all the character teaser trailers as bonus material, as in the old laserdisc), GUNGA DIN, RAINTREE COUNTY, the Rick Schmidlin restoration of GREED, CAPTAIN BLOOD, THE ADVENTURES OF DON JUAN, ALL THIS AND HEAVEN, TOO, THE CROWD, THE WIND, THE FOUR HORSEMEN OF THE APOCALYPSE (1921), MIRACLE IN THE RAIN, THE DEVILS (original cut), THE DEVIL'S BROTHER, BONNIE SCOTLAND, CITY FOR CONQUEST, A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM, THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER, THE MERRY WIDOW (1934), FIVE STAR FINAL, the Fleischer POPEYES, TINY TOON ADVENTURES-HOW I SPENT MY SUMMER VACATION, more classic WB cartoons collections, BULLDOG DRUMMOND, RAFFLES, WUTHERING HEIGHTS (1939).
Some great titles here. You're in luck with one film. The Adventures of Don Juan was released on Blu-ray in July 2022.

Beckford

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
As I eagerly await the rest of Warner Brothers' centennial celebrations, here's a list of a dozen Golden Age Warner Brothers stars and the Warner films (for each) I'm most hoping to see emerge on Blu:

JAMES CAGNEY
Blonde Crazy(1931)
Lady Killer(1933)
A Midsummer Night's Dream(1935)

JACK CARSON
The Hard Way(1943)
Roughly Speaking(1945)
It's a Great Feeling(1949)

JOAN CRAWFORD
Humoresque(1946)

BETTE DAVIS
Juarez(1939)
The Corn is Green(1945)
Beyond the Forest(1949)

ERROL FLYNN
Captain Blood(1935)
The Prince and the Pauper(1937)
Footsteps in the Dark(1941)
Desperate Journey(1942)
San Antonio(1945)
Silver River(1948)
Rocky Mountain(1950)
The Master of Ballantrae(1953)

KAY FRANCIS
Jewel Robbery(1932)
Confession(1937)

SYDNEY GREENSTREET
The Mask of Dimitrios(1944)
The Verdict(1946)
Three Strangers(1946)

IDA LUPINO
The Hard Way(1943)
The Man I Love(1947)

DENNIS MORGAN
The Return of Dr. X(1939)
The Hard Way(1943)
My Wild Irish Rose(1947)
Cheyenne(1947)
Cattle Town(1952)

ELEANOR PARKER
Of Human Bondage(1946)
Caged(1950)

DICK POWELL
Dames(1934)
Gold-diggers of 1935(1935)
Colleen(1936)
Cowboy from Brooklyn(1938)

JANE WYMAN
Cheyenne(1947)
Johnny Belinda(1948)

Stefan Andersson

Second Unit
+1 vote for:
Blonde Crazy(1931)
Lady Killer(1933)
Juarez(1939)
The Corn is Green(1945)
Beyond the Forest(1949)
Jewel Robbery(1932)
The Verdict(1946)
Three Strangers(1946)
The Hard Way(1943)
The Man I Love(1947)

Also:
Boy Meets Girl (1938)
Lady Without a Passport (1950)
The Lusty Men (1952)

justarandomstan

Second Unit
Real Name
Stan
BTW, I was wondering - I'm about to start collecting the Miller - Boyett shows that the Archive released over the past decade.

I was wondering - are the Family Matters, Step By Step and Perfect Strangers releases, for example, sourced from the new HD masters created for the shows in the past couple of years?

I recently watched Perfect Strangers on Freevee and Family Matters on HBO Max and both shows looked incredible.

Don't know of I should hold my breath for a Blu Ray release of any of those shows, probably not....

Beckford

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
As I eagerly await the rest of Warner Brothers' centennial celebrations, here's a list of a dozen Golden Age Warner Brothers stars and the Warner films (for each) I'm most hoping to see emerge on Blu:

JAMES CAGNEY
Blonde Crazy(1931)
Lady Killer(1933)

JACK CARSON
The Hard Way(1943)
Roughly Speaking(1945)

JOAN CRAWFORD
Humoresque(1946)

BETTE DAVIS
Juarez(1939)
The Corn is Green(1945)
Beyond the Forest(1949)

ERROL FLYNN
Captain Blood(1935)
The Prince and the Pauper(1937)
Footsteps in the Dark(1941)
Desperate Journey(1942)
San Antonio(1945)
Silver River(1948)
Rocky Mountain(1950)
The Master of Ballantrae(1953)

KAY FRANCIS
Jewel Robbery(1932)
Confession(1937)

SYDNEY GREENSTREET
The Verdict(1946)
Three Strangers(1946)

IDA LUPINO
The Hard Way(1943)
The Man I Love(1947)

DENNIS MORGAN
The Return of Dr. X(1939)
The Hard Way(1943)
My Wild Irish Rose(1947)
Cheyenne(1947)
Cattle Town(1952)

ELEANOR PARKER
Of Human Bondage(1946)
Caged(1950)

DICK POWELL
Dames(1934)
Gold-diggers of 1935(1935)
Colleen(1936)
Cowboy from Brooklyn(1938)

JANE WYMAN
Cheyenne(1947)
Johnny Belinda(1948)
Couldn't resist adding a few more names. Three performers who were prominent at Warners in the pre-code era, then moved on to other studios and/or freelancing.

DOUGLAS FAIRBANKS JR.
Love is a Racket(1932)
Union Depot(1932)

WARREN WILLIAM
Goodbye Again(1933)

LORETTA YOUNG
She Had to Say Yes(1933)

Didn't give a separate listing to Warners' irreplaceable pre-code queen Joan Blondell. But she's memorably present and percolating in many of the films I've mentioned in conjunction with Cagney, Dick Powell, Warren William and Fairbanks Jr.

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
At the top of my wish list:

afyc.jpg
afyc2.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks