What's new

Warner Bros Archive Wish List 2022 and Beyond!! (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I’m right there with you on a new scan for Camelot. Those beautiful sets and costumes (both Oscar winning) and that glorious music supervised by Alfred Newman and Ken Darby (likewise Oscar awarded) would be rife with possibilities to upgrade. The photography tended toward the dreamy, misty look, so clarity of picture is of utmost importance here. And that stunning Lerner and Loewe music possibly could be afforded an all enveloping Atmos track to show off what Newman and Darby created to best effect. I know the film has many detractors, but like everything, it’s subjective. It likewise has many admirers, myself included.
Too many in-your-face close-ups. On video these might not seem off-putting, but for me, near the screen in a theater, it gave me a headache. I'd have liked to see more views of the costumes, the landscapes, and the sets than ones looking up someone's nostrils for what seemed like a good third of the running time.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
My wish for 2023 is that WB to just open up a bit and allow Brownlow's Photoplay or some company to release the silent masterpieces Greed, Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, The Crowd, The Wind, Student Prince in Old Heidelberg in HD form from already restored prints as well as any others lying in their vault. We know that WB will never release another classic silent in blu-ray form so why not give fans of these silents a break.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
My wish for 2023 is that WB to just open up a bit and allow Brownlow's Photoplay or some company to release the silent masterpieces Greed, Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, The Crowd, The Wind, Student Prince in Old Heidelberg in HD form from already restored prints as well as any others lying in their vault. We know that WB will never release another classic silent in blu-ray form so why not give fans of these silents a break.
Yes please! My fingers are numb from keeping them crossed for so long regarding these great silent movies.

xochipilli

Auditioning
Real Name
Duarte
We know that WB will never release another classic silent in blu-ray form.
George Feltenstein recently revealed that we can expect between three and four silent films in the next year and change, and maybe more after that. I wouldn't be surprised if The Wind and The Crowd weren't some of the ones chosen.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Or farm them out to a boutique studio that would show them some restoritive love and care. VCI, Flicker Alley, Criterion might...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I read that the 1933 adaptation of Little Women starring Katharine Hepburn has a new master streaming on HBO Max. Hopefully we'll see that on one Blu next year! I certainly wouldn't complain if we also saw the 1949 version.
I'm not sure that new master on HBO Max measures up to WAC standards as far as a BD release.

TheSteig

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
A few titles that I hope for are Tall Target, Woman on the Beach, Woman on Pier 13 and Across to Singapore. Basically I want every WAC DVD on Blu-ray but those stood out this morning :D Any fans of those films?

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Let's revisit the ones that never have received a proper US homevid release... namely the remaining WB classic-3D titles -- especially Phantom of the Rue Morgue, Dangerous Mission, Second Chance and Son of Sinbad.

But in 3D. No 3D No Sale.

And, yes, in a way that WB can make a profit.

It can be done. Time to think outside the box. ;)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
From the Allan Ladd catalog, Iron Mistress (1952) with Virginia Mayo stands out to me as MIA in restoration lane.

as well as The Black Knight (1954) with a young Peter Cushing

and Botany Bay (1953) with James Mason

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Now that the smoke from all the studio shuffling and buyouts maybe starting to subside, there seems to be a ray of hope among some studios, like Warner Bros. With George Feltenstein back in the saddle of WAC, I wanted to start a thread on the classic and hoped for releases that we collectors of phisical media would love to add to out ever expanding film collections.

Although some may have recieved dvd editions, some not at all...these are the titiles that we grew up with or maybe turned on to later in life. The thing is, as lovers and collectors of classic films, what are the titles that still need to be added to YOUR collection?

For me for restored editions in BD are:
Prince and the Pauper (1937), Kim (1950), Stanley&Livingston (1939), Northwest Passage (1940), The Canterville Ghost (1944), Captain Horacio Hornblower (1951), Sinbad the Salior (1941), The Iron Mistress (1952).
I am so greatful to those at Warner Archive Collection and WB and for those that give us all the heads up on the upcoming releases, it gives us all the hope that springs eternal!!!
ALL great titles my friend - Northwest Passage YES Stanley&Livingston
great confuses a lot of people FOX title ------

Does anyone know what Fox and MGM agreed to to loan Tracey to FOX?

Beckford

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ken
ALL great titles my friend - Northwest Passage YES Stanley&Livingston
great confuses a lot of people FOX title ------

Does anyone know what Fox and MGM agreed to to loan Tracey to FOX?
My guess is that Tyrone Power went to MGM for "Marie Antoinette" in exchange for Tracy's assignment at Fox.
Power was red hot and rising at the time so maybe Myrna Loy's participation in Fox's "The Rains Came" was also part of the deal. All speculation on my part but it could have happened that way.

Beckford

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ken
THANKS!!!! Did Myrna Loy The Rains Came? Could have been Tracey and Loy for Ty Power?
Gee I was just editing the Loy thing into my post as you were writing this. Just like Robin Hood splitting someone else's arrow when he hits the bull's eye.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarfunAMD
Recent bookmarks