1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We will be interviewing Criterion soon. Click here for details on how you can submit a question for us to ask.
    Dismiss Notice

Warner Bros.: 2-Disc SE Suggestions

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Bill Burns, Oct 12, 2003.

1. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    Have to agree with another poster, a new UNCUT version of "Cruising" starring Al Pacino is a must.

2. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

The Wild Bunch

Deliverance

Dog Day Afternoon

Forbidden Planet

The Searchers

The Devils (FULLY uncut)

Any chance for any/all of these?

Gordy

3. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

The most complete version of Cruising ever assembled was apparently submitted to the British Board Of Film Classification (BBFC - the British equivolant of the MPAA) but has yet to be certificated. Film Four is apparently the distributor.

This could be false, but my source has been right many times in the past.

Any US release is another matter, but if true, this would be encouraging news.

It's an outrageous, provocative film, with many radical touches. Long overdue on DVD, in my opinion.

Gordy

4. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

Perhaps needless to mention, I don't think the "Ultra-Resolution" process (scanning in safeties in their entirety, and compositing them in the digital domain) would work for anything but 3-color Technicolor negatives. I don't think the resolution is high enough (at 2k or even 4K) to properly scan 70mm sources, though the technology breakthroughs come around every day.

What this means is, a movie like "On The Town" could be restored for DVD, this way, but a movie like "The Searchers" or "Oklahoma!" could not. In the case of these 70mm movies, the restoration will have to be done in the film domain, and then the movies can be scanned and transferred normally.

As Mr. Harris has previously noted, VistaVision pictures, in particular, need film restoration, though "North by Northwest" does look pretty keen on DVD. Note how this movie looks compared to "To Catch A Thief," released just 4 years earlier (and a year later on DVD). Admittedly, these aren't Warners disks.

Mr. Harris has also stated here that the Rodgers and Hammerstein organization is allowing their most important franchises, i.e., the 70mm negs, to deteriorate, alarmingly, and these include Oklahoma!, Carousel, South Pacific, Flower Drum Song, and The Sound of Music. While these are not under the power of Warners, it's worth noting it here.

edelweissflower likes this.
  5. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

How about a 4-disc Ultra Deluxe Complete Woodstock with 5.1 sound.

6. Bill Burns

Bill Burns Supporting Actor

7. John Richard

John Richard Auditioning

What about Criterion-type DVD sets based on artistic collaborations between directors and actors.

A good example would be a set featuring the William Wyler/Bette Davis films:

JEZEBEL (1938)
    THE LETTER (1940)
    THE LITTLE FOXES (1941)

Remastered or cleaned-up versions of Jezebel and The Little Foxes would be a welcome improvement over what is currently available on DVD. The Letter is currently unavailable in this format, so what an auspicious debut it would have being included in such a set.

One could only imagine what "extras" might be out there to add to the mix. I envision a documentary, which includes a film historian's thoughts on this professional and personal relationship, which by all accounts was stormy, but obviously fruitful. Many consider Wyler one of greatest directors of all time. His meticulous attention to detail and almost obsessive habit of demanding excessive multiple retakes from his actors in the search for perfection, are well known.

As for Davis, being nominated ten times for the Academy's highest honor for acting, certainly puts her in contention as one of the greatest actresses of all time. Her almost pathological need to be in control and her reputation for demanding the highest possible quality in the automated production line mentality of 1930s & 40s Hollywood is legendary.

The coupling of these two artists had electrifying results. Wyler and Davis' romantic liaisons would be the aspect of the story that would satisfy today's movie fans who gravitate towards the "E" Hollywood True Story or "Backstory" approach to film exploration.

Whether this type of DVD set is even feasible or ever comes to fruition is anyone's guess, but quality remastered transfers of any of these titles would be a must-have or anyone who appreciates Hollywood's classic golden era.

I can think of many director/actor collaborations, both classic and modern that would fit well into this potentially new and interesting, not to mention profitable, DVD set offering.

Just dreaming out loud...

John

8. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Cinematographer

Peter Fitzgerald
    SERGEANT YORK
    WHITE HEAT
    FORBIDDEN PLANET
    THE SEARCHERS
    THE WILD BUNCH
    THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING

9. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew

10. Rob Pritchard

Rewatching my tatty old VHS of Gunga Din (1939) the other day reminded me of just how badly this masterpiece is in need of a showcase presentation.

A splendid action-comedy with an incredible cast - Cary Grant, Victor McLaglen and Douglas Fairbanks Jnr - brilliantly staged and edited fight sequences, a script co-written by Ben Hecht and ace direction by George Stevens.

It's something of a puzzle why this hasn't yet appeared on DVD at all. It should be considered as a priority for release IMO. It's a hugely entertaining film for everyone.

11. Ken N.

Ken N. Stunt Coordinator

Ken
    The long rumored Scorsese Box would be great, any word on a release date?

Some others as well.
    • H E A T
    • Batman
    • Blade Runner
    • Network
    • Bullit
    • Dog Day Afternoon

12. Victoria K.

Victoria K. Extra

The most complete version of Cruising ever assembled was apparently submitted to the British Board Of Film Classification (BBFC - the British equivolant of the MPAA) but has yet to be certificated. Film Four is apparently the distributor.

This could be false, but my source has been right many times in the past.

Any US release is another matter, but if true, this would be encouraging news.

It's an outrageous, provocative film, with many radical touches. Long overdue on DVD, in my opinion.

Gordy

If that rumor is true. That is great news. Considering Warner is releasing the uncut version of The Damned(originally X rated,then heavily cut to get an R later on) next year. Could that mean good news for their other controversial films like The Devils,Cruising & Performance?

But I do have some bad news as well about Crusing. You state the this most complete assemble of the film has not been submitted for approval yet. Meanwhile over on the imdb.com board for Cruising. A person mentions it being listed on the BBFC site & that basically it is the U.S. R rated version minus the 1 second of hardcore subliminal inserts durring two sequences.

Hopefully that is not the version that is rumored for release since it is far from complete.

13. edelweissflower

STEPHEN COWLEY
    All the Rodgers & Hammerstein should be remastered and available on UHD 4K by now

14. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Producer

Joel Henderson
    ^Please check how old a post is before you respond to it. Thanks.

15. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    More to the point: post in the appropriate forum. Why is a demand for a UHD release in a DVD forum?

edelweissflower likes this.
  16. edelweissflower

STEPHEN COWLEY
    sorry yes I should have realised