What's new

Warner Bros. – We Want A Richard Donner Re-Cut of Superman II (1 Viewer)

Greg Rossiter

Auditioning
Since Superman the Movie SE came out on DVD, I've been showing it regularly to friends who haven't seen it in a while. They've all been astounded by it and have thoroughly enjoyed revisiting this classic film. It's a delight to the senses and their reactions are always accompanied by a bit of surprise because they've forgotten somewhat of how well-made, fun, heroic, beautiful, and heartfelt this film is in its presentation. Others like myself awaited its release with great anticipation. There are so many memorable moments and it's imbued with a truly unique spirit and sense of grandeur and goodwill that perhaps even the creators weren't fully aware of while making it.
But what they did know from the start is that the story was always meant to be two parts of a single, unified adventure. As we all know, this companion piece to the first film, similar in tone, style and quality of execution was nearly finished, and indeed was, but never as was first intended. Those who worked on the original production all agree that it was destined to be yet another classic of equal or greater standing to its predecessor. That never quite came about, and in my opinion, the success of Lester's Superman II, while a notable achievement in its own right, drew much of what magic it had from the groundwork laid by Donner's production.
Obviously, I'm adding my vote here, but also offer that the suggestion that this petition merely represents the support of those who have already been educated somewhat to the history of Superman II's production and original intent. There are potentially thousands upon thousands of more supporters and fans worldwide, many who already love the S2 we have now, but are unaware that there is this more-than-just-alternate version out there, a true and transcending classic waiting to be known and appreciated, crafted by the man who best understood the legend and delivered a masterpiece.
Let's put a happy ending on this story and bring Donner's Superman II to the world!
Greg R

ElaineC

Auditioning
Please add my vote to a Richard Donner Superman II re-cut!
My thoughts and feelings on the subject have been perfectly expressed in other posts in this thread, but I still want to say this: I already own the Superman Collection DVD box set, and I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to buy a Richard Donner Superman II SE DVD if it is released by WB. Donner's verion of Superman II deserves to be seen by the public!

Oliver Harper

Auditioning
Superman II was just as popular as the first, so it deserves proper treatment. Everyone I know is dying to see more of Donners work and more of Brando. This is what I think should be on the DVD.
Special edition two disc set
Richard Lesters directors cut version ( Isolated score by Ken Thorne ) remastered
Richard Donners directors cut ( New John Williams score )
Commentary by Lester and Bob Paynter and one by Donner and Tom Mank.
Dolby Digital 5.1 EX and DTS and the original Dolby Stereo mix.
Original making of
New documentary ( about the problems with SII )
Loads of trailers, TV spots, storyboards and interviews.
Because I live in the UK I would pay £30 for this double disc set.

Jeffrey C

Auditioning
Warner Brothers, it would be a crime against fine cinema to not re-release "Superman II" as Richard Donner originally intended it. Think about it. Look how many people want this, and you STILL don't act? You're sitting on top of a ton of money and you don't even know it. If you don't do this, an ungodly amount of people will be extremely disappointed in you.
If a Donner re-cut of "Superman II" happens, here are the scenes I'd like re-instated into the film:
Please re-instate the entire Trial of the Villains scene from STM at the beginning.
Use CGI to cleap up Lester's scene of the Phantom Zone escape. No need to create a brand-new shot.
Donner's original opening at the Daily Planet.
ALL the Marlon Brando scenes.
A CGI-created scene of the Zod, Non and Ursa taking over the world. No East Houston please.
A CGI-created Metropolis battle. But you'll have to use SOME of Lester's footage. Edit out the bad sight gags.
Also, use all Donner footage from the various TV extended cuts broadcast in the early 80's, plus any Donner scenes that were filmed but never released.
By doing this, you will be making nearly 95% of the film Donner's. (It includes all the footage he shot and any new CGI or model effects done under him if this re-cut happens.)
So WB, you've seen the response. Wake up, smell the roses, and release Donner's "Superman II". All the fans, and yourselves, won't be disappointed.

Kevin McCorry

Stunt Coordinator
Naturally, I want a recut of Superman II if it makes
for a better narrative by giving us the key Brando scenes and an elimination of some of the cornier humor and poor effects (e.g. watch Non plowing through the building after being punched by Superman and see the strange thing on his back).
But there are some Lester version material that I do prefer.
1) The Paris sequence and the exploding elevator. This was an exciting start to the movie, and the H-bomb explosion would seem a more credible scenario for releasing the villains than the Hackinsack missile thrown into space by Superman. What would make the missile explode? It would have to hit something, wouldn't it? If it hit the actual Phantom Zone, wouldn't that kill the villains. Not even they could survive the direct impact of a nuclear missile. In any event, I don't think this issue has ever been addressed. It was just assumed that the missile just detonates in the vicinity of the Phantom Zone.
2) All of the currently extant scenes at Niagara Falls are fine by me, including Lois jumping into the falls and Clark tripping into the fire. Also, for the orange juice line to make sense, we'll need the earlier Daily Planet scene where Lois is squeezing oranges.
3) The East Houston scenes are corny but the attack on the villains by the military is great. I'd hate to lose that.
4) Leave the Metropolis battle mostly as is, especially the Coke sign and Superman reversing Zod's heat vision and the "Cool It" sign. But cut out the man on the telephone, the backwards rollerskater, and some of the sideline commentary by Metropolis citizens. There's also a flopped shot of people watching as Zod is going to throw the concrete slab at Superman.
One thing that has always bothered me is the villains talking to each other on the Moon. Sound in a vacuum is an
error almost always done in science fiction/fantasy, but if it's extraneous to the plot, it can be overlooked. Here, it's part of the plot and spoils the verisimilitude that Donner wanted to inject. I don't how how to get around it, though, since the dialogue here is essential.

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
The Paris sequence must go. Donner's opening is far better and the way it was intended to be. But the Paris scene in the deleted scenes section. Lester's Honeymoon sequence must go as well.
Tom

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
I had the chance to ask Christopher Reeve (indirectly) about this topic, I wish I had a lot more questions, but I didn't have time to think properly. When I say indirectly, I mean a world famous TV station :) But anyway, I've been told that Chris doesn't see Donner doing this, I await the entire quotes which will be transcribed next week.
[Edited last by Dharmesh C on October 27, 2001 at 02:04 PM]

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
I would rather here from Donner, rather hearing what people think Donner may or may not do.

Robb D

Auditioning
You can definitely put my vote down for this one. If the money required to fund the location and restoration of footage is a problem, I would be willing to give a donation to WB. There's not really much I can add to this that hasn't already been said. I know that a lot of my friends that didn't buy the entire boxed set of the Superman movies did so because of the lack of extra features on the sequels. If Superman II came out with the same treatment that was given to the original, I know that a lot of them would happily re-buy the movie.

Emmy

Auditioning
I think I am among a great many Superman fans when I say that I did NOT purchase Superman II on DVD because it did not contain anything in the way of extra footage and I felt it to be a waste of money.
In reality, there was very little on the DVD that I could not already experience while watching my VHS copy...and this was a great disappoitment to me. The SE of the first movie was spectacular...I can't say enough good things about it. Friends who are NOT Superman fans have actually asked me to show them the documentaries, and they STILL found them engrossing.
If WB were to release a Donner cut of Superman II, maybe containing more interviews with the likes of Mankewitz, Reeve, and Donner (not to push my luck)...not only would I buy it the second it became available, but I would pay a substantial sum of money for it. Even without documentaries or interviews.
You have no idea, WB, what a gold mine you are sitting on here. If you pass this opportunity up, it would be a mistake of huge proportions.
This is all I can send you. I hope it'll do the trick.
Thank you.
~Emmyjean

yaniv

Auditioning
hi everyone!
my name is yaniv and i'm a superman fan ever since i remember myself.
i and my brother are serious superman collectors!
i would just like to say that a superman 2 recut by donnar would be bought by soooo many people here in israel, you can't imagine how many fans these movies have here!
i can't beg you guys at warner bros. enough to make this happen.
watching the extended superman 2 that was on u.s.a and aussi tv really blew me way!
add my vote, my brother's vote and 2 more superman nuts i know that don't have internet.
thank you very much!
yaniv from israel

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
I would rather here from Donner, rather hearing what people think Donner may or may not do.
Me too, but Reeve may have already discussed it with Donner. Anyway I await the transcribed interview before making a judgement.
Margot Kidder would be a wonderful ally.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
More from Actor Jack O'Halloran (Non in Superman 2)
Superman I&II where actually shoot together we were doing five units at
once. Minatures models sets were all over the place . Richard Donner was
working his ass off and the picture looked great both pictures the only
trouble we had came from the lies that the producers keep coming up with.
They were trying to get two pictures for the cost of one.They shoot all the
footage for Marlon Brando for two fims and had certain deals financially to
him for two. They made a lot of promises that were never kept. When we were
into filming Superman two it was so good that Donner didn't want to stop.
But there were contract deals that made them finish Superman I . Then Gene
Hackman who was smarter than most involved in the picture had a stop date
which meant the Salkins had to pay him a lot of money for everyday over his
stop date. They tried to negotiate but Gene stuck to his guns because the
rumor of Donner being replaced was already being spread. And Lester shpwed
up walking around. So they shoot everything Gene had to do in both pictures
face wise.And when they decided to bring us back to finish SupermanII they
tirmed down there budget and cut Marlon out of the movie so they would not
have to pay him and Gene they screwed around and used body doubles because
they had his face shoots already done.They simple replaced Marlon with
Supermans mother and because everyone looked different well Maggie for sure
they reshoot certain scenes to fill things in and they still lied about how
much they wanted to shoot and everyone was held over for the fight scenes
which if Donner had shoot them they would have been much better.I could tell
fifty stories and still not cover the bullshit the salkins and Piere
Spangler did I don't think Spangler did manby pictures after Superman his
reputation was that bad.And what they did to Pinrwood Studios was
apalling.After Santa Claus the studio went under and has never been the
same.
------------------
The #1 Unoffcial Site Of Sarah Douglas
www.sarah-douglas.com
Please vote for the uncut version of Conan The Destroyer on dvd
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/002724.html

Davey S

Auditioning
There is no way that I can top the comments made throughout this thread, I would just like to state that I am in full support of a Donner version of Superman II.
I really hope WB is reading this because I think it's important to point out that the internet communities are only a small percentage of people who would love a Donner Recut/Special edition. Ever since the Superman SE DVD was released I have been asked by many non internet users why Superman 2 was not released as a special edition.
WB has a potential gold mine with the Superman films, its about time they realised it.

Johan Stensson

Auditioning
I'm all for a Director's Cut SE treatment of Superman II. The result that is Superman: The Movie SE DVD must be enough to convince people to this to other movies as well. If SII could become less corny and campy, (guy in telephone booth, etc) it's great.
Regarding this petition, will someone deliver this list to WB? And wouldn't it be good to complement this list of comments with a large petition on www.petitiononline.com where people just have to sign their name? I'm sure that thousands of people would sign it. Petitiononline.com helped deliver for example, widescreen versions of Lord of the Rings (animated), Cats & Dogs and Willy Wonka for DVD.

BrianS

Stunt Coordinator
Count me in. I have not yet bought Superman II for many of the reasons above.
I, personally, would love a 2 disc edition with the original theatrical release (b/c that is what I saw as a child in the theater many times!) and a disc for the Richard Donner version.
Warner...you better do it now while everyone is still alive!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks