What's new

Warner Bros. – We Want A Richard Donner Re-Cut of Superman II (1 Viewer)

Adam Sha

Agent
Relax fella, i'm absolutely honest and truthful about what i say and pass on here. Nobodys spoil anything.

sometimes its good to not say something more then you say to spoil the situation that is going to happen.I would trust that when you hear something about it.. that is news worthy.. then it happen.

JACOB
Well we are 13 or so pages into asking Warners for a Superman 2 Recut/Special Edition/Director's Cut and yes these things take time. But everyone asking all the time,yet we have not really gotten any concrete answers. I think everbody here deserves an anwser from a straight up question that been asked for years on here.

I really don't see how my post is any different from anybody else asking the exact same thing over and over etc. What i had to say WAS news worthy, i just decided to let you know is all. Perhaps you want to keep saying the same thing over and over, without any answers year in year out JACOB. Being reasonable about this, their comes a time when you have to get some kind of responce. Cos i'm positive many other campaigns similar to ours, would have had anouncement handed out to them in the media by now! Don't be afraid to discuss this subject matter openly now.

I can't seem to remember the last time Warner Brothers brought up news of a revamped "Superman 2" special edition or said anything of any plans for it. On websites or in magazines. although i did love hearing about Margot Kidder's article in Starlog this year about the unseen hour or so footage and the REAL Superman 2 we've yet to see.

Its time for a direct answer is all! I want to see this happen so badly. How many voices crying out for this does Warners want?

Next year is the 25th Anniversary of 'Superman 2' perfect time for Warners to release a special edition DVD disc of the movie. Remastered, spruced up with everything we're asking for if possible. Warner Brothers could at least acknowledge us by saying yes or no? Then not only would we have an answer. This thread could moving in a different direction.

Like excitement over what would make the Speical Edition DVD discs extra list. Or talk about how the theatrical re-release would go etc.

Warners knows far by now where we all stand on this.

When was the last time news broke on this with a solid reply to all these pages? Or big news came about of a Superman 2 Special Edition just how many times has this been bought up or fandom informed of this particular movement. For a few years now i've chatted about this with friends whether or not this would actually come around at all. Frustrations are setting in on people i know, hell you'd be lying if anyone said 'silence' was golden for a campaign like this?

It time fans of this movie and casual film lovers had an answer! Don't be afraid to tell it as it is.

Superman 2 Donner Version!

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I am the webmaster for the Jack O'Halloran website. I also have a site on Sarah Douglas. which is why I had responded to you. it would not surprise me if they get it ready when the new superman movie is released.. warner bros tends to do that. which would be 2006. They are planning to release the batman SE dvds next year with the release of the new batman movie.

JACOB

Adam Sha

Agent
which is why I had responded to you. it would not surprise me if they get it ready when the new superman movie is released.. warner bros tends to do that. which would be 2006. They are planning to release the batman SE dvds next year with the release of the new batman movie.

As for your point on the DVD releases along side new movie releases of the same product. Yeah it does indeed seem so. I was very pleased hearing how Bryan Singer and co want to follow suit after Superman 2 and that the new film will do justice and pay honor to the Richard Donner films.

Wanting to get Terrence Stamp onboard to somehow involved as General Zod in the new film in some capacity after all these years in a continuation movie. Speaks volumes of a well planned masterstroke of genius, i for one hope any of these things being said are true.

Yeah i'd love to see a "Superman 2" recut just before any of that comes to pass! Then i wouldn't mind the usual fanfare of the DVD re-release before the new movie version came out.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I still have the pictures.. somewhere.. I like to rotate the pictures around.. I think i have some in the sarah douglas pictures/gallery section. there are about 10 or 12 pages of pictures.. goto the superman related links to find it.

JACOB

Ryan_M_M

Stunt Coordinator
I remember when this campaign started over three years ago. It is plainly obvious that Superman II SE is a sought after release that will sell. Nearly every comic book fan in the world wants to see this one. It's a shame Warner have continued to remain silent after all this time. Frustrating to say the least. My hope would be they would release this DVD to tie in with the new movie.

MichaelSloan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Sloan
I'd love to see the cut Richard Donner has expressed interest in editing and releasing many times in the news. If it happens maybe Warner should do some new box set like with The Matrix or what Fox did with the first 4 Alien films(as apposed to future sequels I've read some director's and actor's appear to be interested in http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hp&cf=prev&id=1808402883)Anyway to get back on topic, regarding Superman 3 and 4, they're not great films but for some reason I think I'd rather have bad movies with special features then bad movies by themselves. Warner would be just foolish not to some sort of new DVD work as a tie-in for the new movie.
The two Columbia serials are pretty easy to find in VHS format, if every movie on VHS gets a DVD those should too. They would also make good tie-ins when the new movie comes out.
It might have been the digital bits staff's reviews of the first film more then anything else that created for me a greater appreciation of the first Christopher Reeve film. I haven't met a single person in my hometown who likes these movies. Idiots.
We view ourselves as such a great and advanced species yet even after many thousands of years of existance we still can't fix a broken neck. It's stupid.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I too would very much like to see a Donner re-cut of Superman II and would glady purchase one if released.

Adam Sha

Agent
Jump for joy people, Latino Review reports Bryan Singer's new Superman movie next year will intergrate Singer's new version with Richard Donner's original unseen footage from the deleted Brando and Reeve's footage from Donner's Superman 2.
Bryan Singer's version is a continuation long after Superman 2. The new Superman movie will show some of Donner footage along side the new take of the Superman legend in Bryan Singer version. Showing Richard Donner movie versions as past events that has already happened?
All i can say is wow.
Here is the Latino Review link.
http://www.latinoreview.com/scoops/jorel-superman.html
:emoji_thumbsup:
Marlon Brando in Bryan Singer's new Superman film! anyone want to say Bryan Singer's da man.

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
I just hope Singer doesn't use any footage that would be used for Donner's Superman II. Outtakes are fine and I am all for it.... but if they use Brando's Superman II scenes for the new film, it would make the scenes redundant if we ever get them restored back into Superman II like we hope.

Tim Moore

Auditioning
P.S. The Superman Cinema site appears to have moved as the old domain expired.
I can't post the proper URL as I haven't got enough posts! :frowning:
but it's basically the same as the one on the front post but with .co.uk instead of .net
The first post needs updating if possible.

Jeff_Ro

Auditioning
Superman II: The Director's (Richard Donner) Cut would be one of the best gifts the WB could give to Superman fans. We all understand there were issues back then that resulted in a lesser sequel to the greatest comic book/superhero movie of all time. But we have been "understanding" for over 20 years now. It's time the exec's sat down with Dick and figured this thing out. Open the vaults. Give us a chance to see the movie we were supposed to see.

Jeff Roman

Waterford, MI

Adam Sha

Agent
I want to see all that Derek Meddings footage he shot for S2. Whereas Lester used only a small piece, Meddings must have done alot for the 3 villians invasion of Earth for Richard Donner's version. Wasn't there a rumor a few years back of part of 2 being filmed in the former 'Yugoslavia' which i've heard is where the Salkinds came from kinda?

Did Terence Stamp, Sarah Douglas and Jack O'Halloran do filming of Donner's two they've never told anyone about and can't reveal? or was that rumor just untrue? I take it Donner would have to use some CGI (not too much)if he did his version again today, for a special director's edition. He didn't get to shoot his 'Metropolis Battle' between Superman and the three villians from Krypton did he? As i've heard Meddings did footage for those FX scenes. All the miniatures and whatnot.

[The extended flying chase between Superman and Non in the extended TV version, and apparently the deleted version from Donner's S2 where Superman kicked Non into The "Statue Of Liberty's Arm" holding the burning Torch!]

I really hope if Richard Donner goes ahead with recutting his sequel to Superman from 1978. He calls back Terry, Sarah and Jack to do the 'Foreground plates' they were supposed to but didn't/couldn't because of the Salkinds and intergrate them to the already existing FX effect work Meddings and Chilvers did or possibly did. So we can finally get the shocking invasion the 3 renagades from Krypton should have had back in 1980. General Zod gave his threating speech to the world from ontop the "Washington monument", not some little town in the middle of nowhere. (although Donner's version believe or not should still keep the little U.S. town invaded by the 3 villians scenes as a warm up for the "taking over the world" sequences that would be edited back in!)

Donner would expand his vision a little more even, and have Terry, Sarah and Jack do a lot more in S2 than they were meant to, along with their DVD commentary afterwards for the Special Edition.

Along with the 3 legendary Marlon Brando footage scenes that was originally cut out from 2, the alternate opening from the Mackiewicz's 1977 Donner version shooting script, all of the said 5 minutes from the Clark and Lois making love scene. Lois shooting Clark Kent with 'blank bullets' to reveal his Superman identity.

All of it. 25 years plus is more than long enough to wait for something extraordinary from this film series. we got part 1 of it (Superman: The Movie DVD version)

I want to see it all. The rest of it (Superman 2 Director's cut special edition)

Warners 25 years is a nice number, 'IT MEANS ANNIVERSARY' doesn't it?

This long wait is annoying everybody, the fans especially. Why can't Warner Brothers just make an announcement already? Asking people to wait for years on end is just plain rude. What? Only for them to turn around and say it ain't happening anyways.

I'm praying for a double "whammy". For Bryan Singer to use Donner's footage in Superman Returns and for donner to come along and do Superman 2: Director cut SE [this year!] as well!

I'll keep sending letters for this "thing" to happen. But i hope this isn't in vain after all this time!

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Saw the article today in EW about a recut that was going around and I guess it has been removed from the site. But hope this is a step in the right direction and we'll get a new cut of Superman 2.

Ning Wong

Stunt Coordinator
i saw the same article too -- hopefully Warner Brothers will understand the extreme interest and profitabilty this Donner cut will have !!!

stan heck

Auditioning
Here is the only way we will see an offical release of "Superman 2" that will have the Richard Donner footage.

1) Richard Donner will get involved

2) Warner Brothers wants to do it.

3) The SALKINDS will release the Donner Footage at " VAULE" that will make this a money making project for Warner Brothers !

Please Note with the new movie "Superman Returns" Coming out NExt year this would be a great marketing op. for Warner Brothers To release the NEw "SUPERMAN II SPECAIL ED DVD"

A few weeks before "Superman Returns" hits movie screens OR

"Superman II" the Special Edition can hit the DVD MARKET the same time that "SUPERMAN RETURNS" is released on DVD!

HOWEVER I will bet you anything that Warner Brothers will first release the movie on The NEW DVD FORMAT called HD-DVD! Can you imagine the PRESS if they do that!

Lets keep our finger crossed that we will see this a specail editon Someday!

Dan Schmidt

Auditioning
I think a DVD release of the Donner version of Superman II would be a great way to advertise Superman Returns which supposedly is a sequel to Superman I and II. I think it would be great to get the real story before seeing Superman Returns. So WB please release Superman II in the way it was meant to be seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks