What's new

Warner Bros. – We Want A Richard Donner Re-Cut of Superman II (1 Viewer)

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Someone going to the convention plead with him and steer him towards this thread and the online petitions, PLEASE!!!

Dan

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
It would be great if someone can mention this petition to Donner. I hope someone reports back.

Sean Hill

Auditioning
I think I could get carried away with all the things I'd like to see in a Donner re-cut of Superman 2, but I'd just be reiterating all of the stuff that's been discussed already in this post. Really only one thing needs to be done; give Richard Donner total and complete control over how this movie should be redone! Everything else (John Williams score, cut scenes etc) will fall into place.

Count me in towards voting for this must-have project to see the light of day!!!!!

Sean Hill

Australia

Adam Sha

Agent
I agree with alot of the comments made. I've made pleas to Warners to do this for ages. How come nothing is happening with this fiasco why isn't anything going forwards? You'd think the constant asking by online websites like this would make some news or headway by now.

If Warners Brothers know of this why don't they make some noise as to when or how on the situation of the Superman 2 debacle, which the movies fans and film lovers know of. Isn't it about time something happened with this film. Should we voice our opinions through magazines asking for his to be a reality, go to comic conventions and campaign for it there or use other forms to address the issue and make this well known to Donner, the studio, anyone who will really listen to everyone who wants a "Superman 2 Special Edition" or director's edition! to be released. Are there any other outlets, other sources we should address other than this thread that we could take advantage of?

This posted thread has been here for so long, doesn't "Warners" care for it's consumers at all! DVD's are being made into special editions all the time. Lesser films even, are getting better treatment done. Yes the complicated situation of the past is clearer now.

**Marlon Brando settled in court. His problems about the money he was owed by the Salkinds didn't he?**

**The Richard Donner footage still exists in some film cans somewhere right. after the they dug up film cans of for the special edition DVD of Superman The Movie. (but for how long?)**

So all thats left is finding out if Richard Donner is interested in doing it and re-doing Superman 2, and Warners Brothers allowing him to do it. With Alien and Alien 3 being recut for a special edition DVD boxset this year, why won't Warners take the advantage of the situation and make this happen for crying out loud?!

I'm sick of hearing nothing but silence from them! Easy money is being passed up here. Count me in with Sean Hill here, i want it badly so, stop beating around the bush Warner Brothers. On top of all that money your making with releases such as Matrix sequels and the Harry Potter films think about the money you'd make from Superman fans who love the classic films. Take advantage of our need for wanting this to come to light and don't wait to cash this in with a new superman film from you.

Sorry but we hear all those problems with the new Superman films and are certainly not interested in a big name, CGI filled version?

Director's more and more love to play around with their films and do something the didn't do with it before. Please let Richard Donner do this with "Superman 2" before it's too late and all is lost.

JamesSBarr

Grip
As much as I would love to see a Donner edit of Superman II, the legal trickery would have to be resolved, and I don't even know if Warner Bros. would even pursue it, given the legal problems they encountered with the Supeman: The Movie SE DVD. (Speaking of that, was that ever resolved?)

AlexBC

Second Unit
I'm all for Donner's cut of Superman 2. I'd buy at least three for crying out loud.

Alex B. C.

Brazil

Adam Sha

Agent
Count me in yet again i still want a new Superman 2 done by original director Richard Donner!

I'd also like to ask a question to all the Superman 2 movie fans if they know if there is any truth about Richard Donner shooting Superman 2 footage in Yugoslavia! I've heard that he may have shot footage of the 3 villains causing mass destruction when they arrived on Earth. I just want to know if that can be confirmed?

On the DVD, Donner said he had several film units shooting in different countries and since Superman 1 and 2 were shot back to back. I'm wondering if Donner originally completed the scenes where General Zod, Ursa and Non took over the world.

Do any pictures of this exist, or is it only rumors. I'm hoping he did since he filmed up to 80% of the sequel.

Come on Warners we all want a Donner recut of Superman 2.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Being a huge Donner fan and fan of the original 2 films; I would physically cry to see Donners name in the front credits.
SUPERMAN II
DIRECTED BY RICHARD DONNER
:D
Hopefully my wish may come true.
One more vote for a recut.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Warner Bros., I only have three words to say about it:
BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Or to quote Gollum, "We wants the preciousssss!" :)

Conor R

Grip
Come on WB we want this. Donner is 73 years old now and will be 74 in April I think. We want this so bad and the best way it can be seen it the way Donner wanted it. I find WB are a bit Looney. Think about this. Reeve was an unknown and is the best Superman and will never be topped. A great director did it also and he had a love for making films not just money and did research into Superman cos he knew he shouldn't change the superman mythology cos it would anger fans. Thats a sign of a great director. So they do 3 crappy sequels to what cud have been great films but where money grabbers. SII is ok but nothing on STM. SII, SIII and SIV put together didn't make anything near what STM did. Common sense kicks in here. Do the same for the new movie and this. Superman deserves to be an epic lik STM, not a cheap version. Think about this. A movie that keeps making money for years afterwards and still has a big money earning theattical relase will make you way way more money that this pathetic thing you's are going to make. SII Donner version can be what SII whould have been. Do it like it should be done since it's not fans you care for but money. This will bring you the money you only care for. I can't see how Warners are where they are cos they are just so... uh it's undescribable. "Wohoo Jon Peters is the man wohoo. Lets get a crappy director, a crappy star and a crappy cast and male an ok B movie with an A movie budget". Make something epic for Gods sake. SII should have been epic. Make it like it should.

Does anyone know how to contact Richard Donner directly? I found the mailing address for Richard Donner Productions on the web. I don't know if it's for the same Richard Donner, but my guess is that it probably is. Here's the address:

Richard Donner Productions

4000 Warner Blvd.

Burbank, CA 91522

Here's the phone number (and fax), take no prisoners!

Phone (818) 954-4437

Fax (818) 954-4908

If the suits at WB won't listen to us, then maybe Donner will, and he'll convince them to give us a Donner Superman II DVD!

Dax Cushman

Auditioning
I'll buy the Richard Donner re-cut of "Superman II." I just hope he can complete his movie with the footage and technology available.

DaveB

Stunt Coordinator
I purchased the Superman: the Movie DVD but have held off on Superman II. A Donner re-cut of the latter is EXACTLY what I'm waiting for!

David

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
Well, it's been a while since I posted, but here is some interesting news. Richard Donner is making the rounds promoting Timeline and in a recent interview with IGN.com the subject of his Superman II came up. Here is the portion where Superman was mentioned:
IGNFF: People have also been clamoring for you to make a "director's cut" of Superman II, or wondering why Warners hasn't offered you a new Superman film…
DONNER: People would have to ask Warners…
IGNFF: Is it even a franchise that you would want to revisit?
DONNER: It all depends on the material. If they make it with the same respect it should be made, I'd be interested. If they make it with little respect but strictly "How do we catch up to everybody else that's making these?" – I don't want to be involved.
IGNFF: Is it even possible, at this point, for you to do a director's cut of Superman II?
DONNER: I don't think so, anymore. I don't think the material even exists.
IGNFF: If the material that you shot still exists, would it be possible?
DONNER: Oh sure. Yeah, if it was around I could put that material back together. I would love to. We had terrible times finding that stuff. I don't know what the Salkinds did with it. That's negative, man, and it's got to be treated right or it doesn't exist. And I don't know where they have all the outtake negative.
IGNFF: Well, it wouldn't be the first time they did something they shouldn't…
DONNER: Oh, you are so right…
------------------------------------------
So once again Warners....he's interested! He says openly we should "ask Warners".... so I'm asking! What in God's name are you waiting for? Don't let that footage rot!
You can read the entire interview here: http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/441/441900p1.html

WillG

Senior HTF Member
It's Great that he's open to the idea. I just hope Warner Bros will see this before "It's too late" if you know what I mean. It was mentioned by Ron that a Warner chat is scheduled for next month, so maybe the desire can be conveyed again

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks