Warner Box set : Henry Fonda: The Signature Collection 19 september

Discussion in 'DVD' started by oscar_merkx, May 24, 2006.

1. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Warner has just announced the DVD release of Henry Fonda: The Signature Collection for 9/19 (SRP $39.92). The 4-disc set will contain Advise and Consent, Battle of the Bulge, Mister Roberts and The Wrong Man, each of which will also be available separately.

2. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I hope I'm wrong, but I think this will just be a repackaging of what's already available. I like all of these except the Wrong Man, but that means I own 3 of these already, and it'll take a very noticeable upgrade in PQ for me to rebuy them.

Actually I guess I already own all 4 of these, as the Wrong Man came in the Hitch box last year. So I own it, though I'll never watch it.

3. GregoryMesh

GregoryMesh Supporting Actor

Gregory Mesh
    Advise & Consent was in Controversial Classics box, The Wrong Man was in Alfred Hitchcock: Signature Collection box and Battle of the Bulge was in World War II Collection: Battlefront Europe box. Only Mister Roberts gets from snappers to keepcase switch, but the disc is going to be the same.

4. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

[​IMG]

what's the point?

As Gregory mentioned, these films were all released as part of more interesting box set collections within the past 2 years... At least I can't complain that Warners are including any 'new-to-dvd' exclusives in the package which would upset me.

Oh well, this seems redundant. And an odd pairing of films for a Fonda box too.

I definitely don't need this one.

I guess I'll pick up Mister Roberts if it's released individually in a keepcase though, as I still don't have that one.

5. JohnPM

JohnPM Second Unit

Not a lot of major Henry Fonda titles owned by Warners, but I guess they could have come up with a box of fresh ones --- "Slim", "That Certain Woman", "The Male Animal", "The Big Street", "The Mad Miss Manton" ... any others Warners own?

http://greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot.com/

6. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

I got excited there for a second...until I saw what the titles were[​IMG]

7. Corey

Corey Screenwriter

me too...i was like, "i didn't know this was on the radar and now it's just a re-hash of previous movies. would've loved to see the male animal and the mad miss manton.

8. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug
    I was worried for a second. I thought I was going to have to buy yet another Warner box set!

9. Corey

Corey Screenwriter

i wish they would hurry up and announce the bogie v2 or the spencer tracy set. i need them in my life

10. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    I cound have sworn that in one of those chat sessions with Warner Home Video, they said that they were going to steer clear of having the same titles in multiple box sets!

11. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    This set makes sense if someone is a fan of Henry Fonda. You can get pretty much the cream of his output that Warner controls (minus "Jezebel" and "Fort Apache") at a reduced price. Collectors are not left in the cold since nothing is exclusive to the box.

Regards,

12. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I think that's to say -- they wouldn't put out a new Bogie Collection with remastered titles and include, say "The Treasure Of The Sierra Mardre", which would admittedly piss people like myself off.

I don't see how this would really effect anyone.

I guess it's for the Fonda fans? (...or maybe not)

I assume any DVD collector / classic film enthusiast would at least own the Hitchcock and Controversial Classic Collections, so it's not like WB is burning anybody with this release. I'd personally rather pick up the box sets I didn't already own to get these titles than buy this one. But it is what it is.

Now the day if/when WB starts issuing new-to-DVD titles alongside entries from previous collections (like the Bogart example cited above), I'll voice my complaints.

13. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Well, it's a good value if people don't want any of the other films in the three box sets.

14. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve

Bingo. If Fox were putting this out it would be $20 more since they charge $60 for their 4 DVD collections.

I think this is a good move on Warner's part to move some inventory and maybe entice some Fonda fans who either missed the earlier releases or didn't want to pay retail for the singles to get these at a fairly good price.

15. GregoryMesh

GregoryMesh Supporting Actor

Gregory Mesh
    Actually, Fox just released 5 boxset of previously released DVDs with 4 titles per set for only 29.95 list price. It's only exclusives are getting $60 list price.

16. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Mr. Roberts could do with a new transfer, but I doubt it'll get one.

17. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Hi ya

Did not know that some of these were released in previous boxsets such as Advise & Consent in The Controversial Classics Vol 1.

Time to purchase that one

18. Tim Tucker

Tim Tucker Screenwriter

I was wondering if Warner moved up the release date of this box, because I've just seen it at Costco.

19. Garysb

Garysb Cinematographer

The Fonda set has been at Costco since the Gable set was released last month. Seems exclusive to Costco for now.