What's new

Warner Blu-Ray and TrueHD (1 Viewer)

Mark Basile

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone have insight as to why Warner's HD-DVD releases from Day 1 have had TrueHD audio, but as of yet, no titles have been announced for Blu-Ray with it yet?

Since Warner is using the same encode for video now that all their titles are VC-1, they can do the same for the audio track as well. I'm really surprised that they didn't put a TrueHD track on their first BD-50, Superman Returns.

To the team at Warner, can we make this happen?

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Conspiracy!!

Shenanigans!! :laugh:

Forgive me, I'm a bit hungover and rambunctious after my birthday outing.

It's a good question. Of course, when I feel like this, I think all puzzles and problems stem from an elaborate government conspiracy.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
IMHO it looks like HD-DVD has leaned towards Dolby True HD even though there are really not that many titles right now. And Bluray seems to be using DTS-HD over Dolby True HD. There are many Bluray titles coming out with DTS-HD instead of Dolby. If Bluray wins this format war Dolby may find itself fighting to get there product on software titles for the first time in there history. That would be a big boost to DTS to be the lossless format of choice for HD titles being released.

Hope you had a good time there Grant, Happy Birthday :emoji_thumbsup:

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

They are waiting for Dolby TRUE BD, since True HD is obviously for HD-DVD.:laugh:

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Haha. Thanks for the birthday wishes.

You know, the HD format wars have really had a pleasant side effect--it takes me back to my college days when I first had Internet access and educated myself about DVD. I believe I lurked on the Home Theater Forum all through college, but didn't join or post until after I graduated.

Again, I get to learn something new every day. The latest was the DD Plus on HD-DVD vs. DD on Blu-Ray. At least Blu-Ray titles aren't being slighted there. All nomenclature so far. Glad to hear lossless tracks are coming. Sad that they had to skimp on some of the MPEG-2 titles out now, but, hey, it's an infant. At least it's stepping.

Bob Black

Stunt Coordinator

I would guess this is due to the fact that no BD player on the market currently can decode the TruHD soundtrack.

Mark Basile

Stunt Coordinator
Perhaps, however "Phantom of the Opera" was released with a 5.1 True HD track that no HD-DVD player could play at one point.

RobertDW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert D Wehe

From day one the Toshiba players could decode TrueHD but only output two channel. After firmware 2.0 we got full 5.1 TrueHD.

I believe the Pioneer BD player may do TrueHD but at $1500 for the player I will stay with my HD DVD player thank you. :)

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
It doesn't matter if a BD player can decode TrueHD or not.

TrueHD on BD has a mandatory "core" DD backwards compatible track that's playable on any player.

In any case the PS3 will have full TrueHD 5.1 out of the box capability.

The real reason there isn't TrueHD from Warner yet is because they haven't made the authoring tools fully available. Warner uses a special transcoder to get the VC-1 video track, but it doesn't apply to the audio track since BD uses a different method of streaming the audio than HD DVD does, which is based on the DVD method and which is why DD plus MUST be used for bitrates above 448kbps.

What I don't get is why Warner can't simply encode multichannel PCM like the other studios can.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
It'd be a nice surprise if the Samsung is eventually able to be upgraded to decode TrueHD soundtracks. And I'm guessing Warner isn't doing PCM tracks because it takes up a ton of space? I don't know. It doesn't make sense to me either, especially on those releases that are encoded with VC-1. If Superman Returns featured a PCM track, I'd be buying it on BR, no doubt because it'd be cheaper than the HD-DVD combo. However, the TrueHD track alone will be worth the extra few dollars.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks