What's new

Warner/Blockbuster market plans DVD (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
It is indeed a rental problem.
My local video rental (Ingles Video) won't carry ANYTHING in widescreen if there's a fullscreen DVD as well.
I asked them why and they said they didn't think anyone was interested. Fine...I bought the titles I wanted from Wal-Mart and Best Buy instead...who carry both versions. :)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
As much as I hate Blockbuster and the major retailers, it ultimately is the general public's lack of acceptance in North America that is creating all of this static. Compare this to Europe or other regions. What a shame.

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
And that's weird...all of my local rental places (most of them Blockbusters) carry every single dual-release title only in widescreen.

PerryD

Supporting Actor
I tried to rent Scooby Doo at Blockbuster last Friday, and they only stocked the P&S version. I remember back a long time ago, with titles like 102 Dalmatians and Remember the Titans, where they stock the P&S versions, but they've been stocking the widescreen versions of dual released movies since then. I did complain to the manager, who seemed shocked that they didn't have the widescreen version available.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
It's started again.

My local Blockbusters only got the P+S Scooby Doo as well as the P+S Grease DVD for rental.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
My local blockbuster which had been EXCELLENT about getting only Widescreen now has only pan and scan versions of GREASE and SCOOBY DOO. The start of another disturbing trend?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
it looks like i'll be starting part time at my blockbuster around the corner.
i wonder what they will tell me to say to people who ask for the widescreen version dvd's of scooby doo and others.

does it look like only or mostly familyn titles are gouing to be full screen only at blockbuster?

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Nope. INSOMNIA is gonna be MARred as well. Looks like I say bye-bye to Schlockbuster. Unfortunately, they've closed down every other video store in the area. Grrrrrr.

George See

Second Unit
My blockbuster's weird....Death to Smoochy they had in Widescreen, Scooby Doo Was full screen only. I remember Jurrasic Park 3 in full screen only. I've tried to make suggestions to the manager but they don't care.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i think that it's not a store decision on the full or widescreen.

i think it is a higher up choice.

whenever we have these threads about this it seems that all the stores are the same.

George See

Second Unit
The manager of my store wasn't even able to give me anywhere to send feedback to. It's funny blockbuster always say people complain about the black bars....but who are these people complaining to? Cause I complain but it doesn't get heard.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Because they get alot of complaints from people renting DVDs and finding out they are WS...
So they claim they're actually listening to complaints by customers, eh? Well, now you all know what to do the next 6 (or so) months.... :)
Cees

Robert Dunnill

Second Unit
Why would a home theater enthusiast want to deal with them, anyways? When I was a U.S. resident, I rented my discs from Netflix and Rentmydvd.com which offered many times the selection, and widescreen wherever possible. Heck, when I got some BB rental coupons with my Panasonic player, I remember how difficult it was to find anything worthwhile to rent. Their small selection consisted mainly of new releases, whereas my interests like mostly in the area of older, obscure catalog titles.
The one time I had a BB gift card, I splurged it on a Braveheart disc.
RD

Greg_M

Screenwriter
I never rent from Blockbuster. Three video stores in my area have a better selection, unrated version & NC17-rated versions of films, widescreen films and way cheaper rental fees. But then again I live in Los Angeles Film capital of the World.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Was at my local BB tonight and sure enough, only MAR versions of Insomnia. I asked the girl behind the counter and she said that is all that they were sent. She immediately noticed the look on my face and said, "I know, I prefer widescreen too."

Well, I have two more rentals on my Monsters Inc. card and after that, no more BB.

-Keith

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks