Warner Archives in 2015, Take A Shot!

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Henry.
I would like to see WAC maybe let WHV have a go at Harry O, one of the (Warner) TV shows I would buy once more then.

Randy Korstick

Producer
Reaction score
Unless you bought these from Amazon all 3 seasons of Courtship of Eddies Father are pressed. Mine are. Warner Archive will always replace DVDs that are defective for you at any time if you bought them from them so you should never throw them away. Harry O is also pressed. Its possible that they may have recently run out of some of these but there have been very, very few that they have run out of so far. I'm still slowly buying the FBI and every season I get is pressed. Only the first 2 seasons were not. There are a few shows like that were the first couple seasons were not pressed because they were done before they started doing pressed discs but the vast majority of multi-season shows from WA are pressed.

As Jack mentioned below I have had far more defective pressed discs than DVD-R's. Other than being easier to scratch there is no difference in Quality studio made DVD-R or Pressed. There is no proof that one lasts longer than the other. All my oldest WA DVD-R from early 2009 still play perfectly.

I have never had a problem with a flipper disc either. The only discs I ever have problems with are DVD-9's. Buy I have only had about 20-25 bad ones over the past 18 years that I know of. I haven't checked my old discs in awhile.

I have had maybe 4-5 WA discs that I received bad and they were immediately replaced.

HonkyTonkMan said:
It isn't true that Warner Bros. only does DVD-R MOD releases for one season shows. Warner Bros. has released all three seasons of the Bill Bixby, Brandon Cruz and Miyoshi Umeki television series The Courtship of Eddie's Father on DVD-R. I bought the first two seasons of The Courtship of Eddie's Father and both of the sets had a defective disc. I then very soon afterwards threw away both of those DVD-R sets. I made a commitment right then and there that I wouldn't ever buy another DVD-R release again. I have refused to ever buy the DVD-R release of Season 3 of The Courtship of Eddie's Father. The Courtship of Eddie's Father is the only television series that I've ever bought any DVD-R releases of. Warner Bros. really needs to re-issue all three seasons of The Courtship of Eddie's Father exclusively on factory pressed DVD's. DVD-R's have way too high of a defect rate. There's also many other classic television shows that ran for a few seasons or more that Warner Bros. has released on DVD-R's.

Reactions: Rob_Ray

phenri

Second Unit
Reaction score
Real Name
Paul
Randy Korstick said:
Unless you bought these from Amazon all 3 seasons of Courtship of Eddies Father are pressed. Mine are. Warner Archive will always replace DVDs that are defective for you at any time if you bought them from them so you should never throw them away. Harry O is also pressed. Its possible that they may have recently run out of some of these but there have been very, very few that they have run out of so far. I'm still slowly buying the FBI and every season I get is pressed. Only the first 2 seasons were not. There are a few shows like that were the first couple seasons were not pressed because they were done before they started doing pressed discs but the vast majority of multi-season shows from WA are pressed.

As Jack mentioned below I have had far more defective pressed discs than DVD-R's. Other than being easier to scratch there is no difference in Quality studio made DVD-R or Pressed. There is no proof that one lasts longer than the other. All my oldest WA DVD-R from early 2009 still play perfectly.

I have never had a problem with a flipper disc either. The only discs I ever have problems with are DVD-9's. Buy I have only had about 20-25 bad ones over the past 18 years that I know of. I haven't checked my old discs in awhile.

I have had maybe 4-5 WA discs that I received bad and they were immediately replaced.
I'll have to disagree with you on this. The first season of Courtship of Eddie's Father was only made as a MOD set, along with the first two seasons of the FBI and the first season of Medical Center. After these sets were released, WB then started to release pressed discs.

I do agree with Jack and Randy that there is nothing wrong with DVD-R discs. I don't know what causes the phobia with these. Do people think that these will go bad over time? Has that been proven?

Randy Korstick

Producer
Reaction score
I think you misunderstood me I mentioned above they released a few multi season shows as DVD-R in their early days like FBI and Cheyenne before they started doing pressed. I guess it been so long that I forgot about season 1 of Courtship of Eddies father. I just remember watching pressed discs of the show so it must be just season 2 and 3. Since they started doing pressed all multi-season shows that I know of have been pressed.

Yeah I believe the phobia started from people that made their own DVD-r using lower quality media and a simple DVD-r recorder so not surprisingly those may not last long. But there is no comparison to Quality studio made DVD-r's and homemade DVD-r but the urban legends and phobia continues. Both have stood the test of time. The only thing that is certain is that no disc will last forever.

phenri said:
I'll have to disagree with you on this. The first season of Courtship of Eddie's Father was only made as a MOD set, along with the first two seasons of the FBI and the first season of Medical Center. After these sets were released, WB then started to release pressed discs.

I do agree with Jack and Randy that there is nothing wrong with DVD-R discs. I don't know what causes the phobia with these. Do people think that these will go bad over time? Has that been proven?

Reactions: Conrad_SSS

LouA

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Lou Antonicello

I've bought many Warner Archive releases , both MODs and pressed . I did have a couple of problems early on with WBs DVD-Rs . None recently . If a show is only available in that format , I don't hesitate in buying it. So I wouldn't call it a phobia . But as a consumer I still prefer pressed DVDs . We don't really know what will happen to discs in either format over the passage of time . Hopefully all of our discs will last and give us enjoyment as long as we want them to.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Chris
I prefer pressed discs over MOD discs.

However, at this point, I realize there are some things that are only available on MOD and will be that way for the forseeable future. If I'm going to be able to see certain shows, I'm going to have to be flexible, which means I will have to accept MOD releases.

So far, MOD discs seem equivalent to pressed discs regarding performance and longevity. Maybe a longer time frame will prove different, but who can say?

When I can get pressed discs, I will. If MOD is the only alternative, then I will pick up the MOD release.

Also - Warner Archive has always replaced defective discs for me without any problems.

Neil Brock

Producer
Reaction score
oldtvshowbuff said:
I think Mr. Broadway would be a good choice, starring Craig Stevens (Peter Gunn) and co-starring Horace McMahon (Naked City) with a jazz theme and score by Dave Brubeck. Produced by David Susskind's Talent Associates and listed by Wikipedia as being from Warner Bros.Television and CBS Television Studios. Only lasted 13 episodes in 1964-65 on CBS.
Produced by Susskind's company, Talent Associates. Warner had nothing whatsoever to do with the show. And the internet misinformation continues...

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Frank
Looking suspiciously like that's it for September. Not real impressed with them the last few months. Lawman Season 2 and a bunch of modern stuff. Since they go on hiatus over the holidays, I'm really hoping October and November will bring us at least 2 good releases, although I'm suspecting more 90's-present stuff is about all we are going to get.

LouA

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Looking suspiciously like that's it for September. Not real impressed with them the last few months. Lawman Season 2 and a bunch of modern stuff. Since they go on hiatus over the holidays, I'm really hoping October and November will bring us at least 2 good releases, although I'm suspecting more 90's-present stuff is about all we are going to get.
I've heard that Colt 45 and the Alaskans will be among the next projects WBA will tackle . You have to figure that they will give us the old shows one or two at a time as long as we continue to buy them. The detective shows are more problematic ,due to music clearance issues, and I'm beginning to lose hope we'll ever see them.

It would be nice for WBA to try an old sitcom, like Room for One More .

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Paul
I had some freezing issues with an MOD disc for season 1 of Alice, but was able to get a replacement. I've had far more issues with flippers than MOD discs.

Reactions: Tony Bensley

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Reaction score
Website
ron1973.blogspot.com
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Off topic slightly, but how does Courtship of Eddie's Father compare to other shows Bill Bixby did? I only recall seeing an episode or two. I loved him in almost anything else he's did, so somebody give me the low down!

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Frank
IMO this is a really nice little show. It's one of the few (and certainly one of the first) family sitcoms where you could actually feel a strong father/son bond between the characters. While most other sitcoms of that era primarily went for laughs with family situations. "Eddie" was one of the first I recall where you saw quite a few tender moments between father and son. Cruz has said repeatedly since the show exited the air that during filming and after, Bixby functioned as a type of surrogate father to him and that really comes through on screen.

As for Bixby, this is the first show where you realize that he is in fact a really good actor. He goes through a great range of emotion as Tom Corbett and does it well. You can really feel the pain (and joy) he goes through trying to raise a young child on his own. He make mistakes sometimes and many times needs to go to others for advice. But the ongoing thing that comes through with this show is that these two are going through all this truly together. It's a very heartwarming show and I'm not the "sappy" type who usually cares for those things.

ScottDombrowski

Second Unit
Reaction score
Real Name
Scott
I agree with everything Frank said about Courtship of Eddie's Father. I also love the relationship that both Tom and Eddie have with their housekeeper, Mrs. Livingston, wonderfully played by Miyoshi Umeki! Of course, as with all classic TV series, there's a long list of great guest stars too. I haven't seen the whole series yet and have heard that the third season changed direction a bit but maybe others know more about that. All in all though, I would say that if you're a fan of Bill Bixby, you'll probably love this show!

Reactions: Regulus

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Frank
It was also truly one of the very first of its kind to show are more real depiction of being a dad than the popular shows that came before it (Beaver/Father/Ozzie/Donna Reed). Its a move away from just seeing the father figure as a breadwinner and authority figure/advice giver and making the character more human, caring and loving but faulty and capable of making mistakes. Now, don't get me wrong, Ward, Ozzie, and Jim Anderson had many episodes that showed they cared about their kids and weren't perfect, but it really wasn't until this show (and Family Affair) where it appeared ok to depict a father as tough but tender on a consistent basis and show that sometimes maybe "dad didn't always have all the answers."

Of course either one of these portrayals of a man is still miles above today's standard depiction of a father in today's sitcoms as an emasculated inept goon who knows nothing, is capable of nothing, and has to defer to his wise all knowing wife to solve all the family problems....but don't get me started.

Reactions: Ron1973

mayberry66guy

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Real Name
Phil
Ron1973 said:
Off topic slightly, but how does Courtship of Eddie's Father compare to other shows Bill Bixby did? I only recall seeing an episode or two. I loved him in almost anything else he's did, so somebody give me the low down!
I love Courtship of Eddie's Father. To me what made those special moment between Tom and Eddie Corbett work is the combination of writing and acting. Brandon Cruz was so convincing in the role. To me, very few child actors have that raw talent and believability factor when it comes to delivering lines--comedic or dramatic. Ronny Howard and Jodie Foster are two other actors who did a amazing acting work as kids.

Randy Korstick

Producer
Reaction score
I grew up watching reruns of Courtship of Eddies father in the late 70's and agree with what Frank and Scott have said. Its a great family sitcom. I would rate it as my favorite Bill Bixby show with The Incredible Hulk a close second.

Reactions: Regulus

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Frank
Well it looks like that's it for September, so if we assume their ususal holiday hiatus, we are only talking about 2 months of possible releases left and since they recently announced an animation release and the next to last season of Growing Pains coming, I wouldn't expect more than a couple things left for the year as far as the pre 80's non animation stuff goes.

In case you are wondering, the stats for the year are not great so far and they definitely indicate Warner's quite possibly is heading in the direction of the others with regard to the older stuff. Here is what I found. With regard to classic non animation pre mid 80's, For 2012 so far:

9 releases - Bronco (2 releases), Lawman (2 releases), Daktari (1 release), Kildare (1 release), Dakotas (1 release), Jericho (1 release), Chips (1 release through WHV). Hopefully I haven't missed any.

Now by comparison to last year, by this time 2014, there had been 15 releases of non animated pre mid 80's shows, so you can clearly see the slowdown.

This is particularly troublesome to me because we now only basically have three players in this hobby, Warner, Shout/Timeless and VEI, so a slowdown at Warners really takes a bite out of possible future classic releases as a whole. I mean to really face facts, out of the three, they are really the only one doing anything at all with pre 70's stuff added to the fact that Shout has slowed to a crawl with anything pre 90's. The jury is still out on where VEI will go from here and if sales are less than expected with this glut of stuff they licensed from CBS, I wouldn't really expect to see much more from them beyond these currently tricking out.

Point being, if we can't depend of WA for the older stuff, there aren't many other options.

Reactions: Flashgear

Randy Korstick

Producer
Reaction score
You left out Spenser for Hire and several other shows from the 80's and 90's and that brings their release total to the same or more than last year. Last year we did not have as many newer titles so they are doing more this year. I know you are only looking at older shows but I think WA does not see it that way, they see it as total TV releases.. They are a special case and every year will be different because they have no set schedule or timetable for anything. For the most part; they release titles as they are cleared and re-mastered. So what ever is ready is ready. It is the same with their Animation. 1 year we get mostly 60's and 70's titles and then the next we get mostly 80's and 90's titles. Its really hard to try to box in their release schedule like a studio doing retail releases. Next year could easily be mostly older TV titles. It Just depends on what they clear and are working on.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Frank
Randy Korstick said:
You left out Spenser for Hire and several other shows from the 80's and 90's and that brings their release total to the same or more than last year. Last year we did not have as many newer titles so they are doing more this year. I know you are only looking at older shows but I think WA does not see it that way, they see it as total TV releases.. They are a special case and every year will be different because they have no set schedule or timetable for anything. For the most part; they release titles as they are cleared and re-mastered. So what ever is ready is ready. It is the same with their Animation. 1 year we get mostly 60's and 70's titles and then the next we get mostly 80's and 90's titles. Its really hard to try to box in their release schedule like a studio doing retail releases. Next year could easily be mostly older TV titles. It Just depends on what they clear and are working on.
You are right Randy, I was only counting releases pre 80's so I did nto include Lopez, Growing Pains, or Spenser and by that count there were substantially less older releases this year than last. I really do hope you are right however, and maybe it will pick up next year depending on what they can clear. Only they know.

Forum Sponsors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cynthia1