Warner Archives in 2015, Take A Shot!

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Frank
Some updates from their page....and no great news here.

Kildare - Confirmed release of last season but no ETA. Probably means not this year anymore

Enos - Clearance issues still present and then mastering necessary. Will be awhile if at all.

Chico and The Man - Clearance issues. Noncommittal either way.

Alice - Season 5 - Clearance issues. No ETA.

When you look at the above and consider the already mentioned clearance issues of many of the most requested titles (The 4 detective shows, Head of The Class, Knot's Landing, Mr. Novak, Roaring 20's, etc) it kind of seems like they have hit a proverbial clearance "wall" with much of the stuff left in their library that people really want. Kinda makes me a little worried that we won't be getting much of this stuff down the line. I'm just kind of wondering what they are looking at for 2016 seeing as how most of the more requested stuff is not possible at this time. I personally don't care much for their recent focus on releasing the late 80's+ stuff. (Growing Pains, Lopez, Spenser). happy for you fans of that stuff, but it seems that is all we have been getting lately (save Lawman Season 2).

The only things I've even heard rumors of them starting soon are Colt 45....and Hangin With Mr. Cooper (Yippee, another 90's sitcom)

Jack P

Producer
Reaction score
We had more than a year's wait for S4 of "Dr. Kildare" and the reason was clearly music clearance in their "variety show" episode as well as the endless renditions of the title song in the multi-part "Rome Will Never Leave You" episode. It wouldn't surprise me if there's another Chamberlain singing episode or two in the last season that's causing the slow pace for S5.

Randy Korstick

Producer
Reaction score
The short lived series: The Alaskans has also been rumored for next year. Since they don't announce their release schedule far in advance one thing is certain, there will always be surprise releases from WA which will result in comments like: oh wow I didn't see that one coming or wow they must have cleared the rights to this one but I didn't think it was coming so soon.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Reaction score
Website
ron1973.blogspot.com
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
They told me Monday that The Chicago Teddy Bears was a possibility when I asked.

Reactions: Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Frank
Ron1973 said:
They told me Monday that The Chicago Teddy Bears was a possibility when I asked.
Never saw this show but would love to check it out. Great cast. Not only Dean Jones and Banner, but Jamie Farr, Marvin (Henry) Kaplan and Bowery Boy Huntz Hall.

This show must have had to have some serious bad writing to have flopped that bad with that cast.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Frank
Since we have a pretty good idea what isn't coming out in the next few months, I guess the big question is what can we expect from WA for the remainder of the year? Assuming they go on holiday hiatus as they have done historically, I'm figuring on about 4 (maybe 5) non animation releases up through the end of November. So what will it be?

I was initially thinking they would finish Kildare before the end of the year, but based on their recent Facebook post it doesn't appear that will happen that soon.

My own thought is that since they appear to be fast tracking their mid 80's+ stuff now (just finished Spenser), I would expect to see the last season of Lopez (6) and next to last season of Growing Pains (6) released between now and the end of November. That would leave 2-3 releases appoximately. Other than a release of the next to last season of Medical Center, It's very hard for me to even guess what else they might have in mind seeing as how most of their other series in their recent rotation have either been recently finished (Spenser, Daktari, Bronco), further down the road (aforementioned Kildare), or stalled (Falcon Crest, Alice). I guess there's an outside shot they could squeeze one more Lawman release in before the year is out, but 3 in one year is a lot for them.

What's your take?

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Dave
Still hoping to see the next season of Medical Center (Season 6) this year.

Awhile back, I asked on the Facebook page about the Spenser spin-off A Man Called Hawk. I didn't get a response, but I'd say that a lack of response is at least slightly better then an automatic No. Still, I doubt it would happen this year.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Tom Hunter
I dunno (re: A Man Called Hawk). A year and a half ago I got what seemed to be a positive response when asking about Young Maverick and still nothing has been released. Let me add that I would def pick up A Man Called Hawk as well.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I dunno... unless there are the usual music rights or other issues, maybe the 20-episode dramatic anthology, Conflict (1956-57) or the 33-episode G.E. True (1962-63)?

Series episodes of Then Came Bronson (1969-70)? I remember it getting a lot of play on TNT in the 1990s, along with the already-released The Courtship of Eddie's Father, and the pilot movie has already been out on MOD disc through WA.

Lucan (1977)? There are only 11 episodes (plus the TV-movie pilot), and they've already been available on Warner Archive streaming.

JMas

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Real Name
John Mason
They have been streaming McClain's Law on the Archive. I wonder if it will be released on DVD.

There is only one season of How The West Was Won to go, so they could finish that up.

Randy Korstick

Producer
Reaction score
How the West was won is a possibility but we haven't heard anything yet that this is now in WA hands. This series is being released by WHV. But if they were not happy with the retail sales then a WA release is probably what will happen. Its the same situation for Mayberry R.F.D.

JMas said:
They have been streaming McClain's Law on the Archive. I wonder if it will be released on DVD.

There is only one season of How The West Was Won to go, so they could finish that up.

Neil Brock

Producer
Reaction score
What about The Practice and A Man Called Shenandoah which were both streaming. We know they have good transfers and I'm assuming no clearance issues? I'm hoping for Hank before the end of the year and maybe Sam Benedict. Would love to see The Alaskans, not that its a good show but its the rarest of the classic era Warner shows. Still don't know how they will get around all of the Dorothy Provine music numbers. Many Happy Returns would be great but I don't see much clamoring for it. That was the first show to ever follow a Lucy series and finish out of the Top 30.

Reactions: Flashgear

LouA

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Neil Brock said:
What about The Practice and A Man Called Shenandoah which were both streaming. We know they have good transfers and I'm assuming no clearance issues? I'm hoping for Hank before the end of the year and maybe Sam Benedict. Would love to see The Alaskans, not that its a good show but its the rarest of the classic era Warner shows. Still don't know how they will get around all of the Dorothy Provine music numbers. Many Happy Returns would be great but I don't see much clamoring for it. That was the first show to ever follow a Lucy series and finish out of the Top 30.
I'd buy Many Happy Returns .I haven't seen it in years , but I remember enjoying John McGiver's performance when it aired on CBS way back in 65. I'd likewise be interested in the other shows you mention. There are still a few of us out there , but I guess as time goes on not nearly enough.

Wezzo

Second Unit
Reaction score
Not archive programming, but The Middle S6 seems pretty likely for October.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Frank
If anything else is being released this month, we should be hearing about it within the next week IMO. The Facebook page hasn't offered any clues as of yet.

LouA

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Anyone buy LAWMAN season 2 ? Just wondering if it's replicated or MOD. It's on my list to order this week.

phenri

Second Unit
Reaction score
Real Name
Paul
LouA said:
Anyone buy LAWMAN season 2 ? Just wondering if it's replicated or MOD. It's on my list to order this week.
Lawman season 2 is pressed.

I've found that the only time that a program ordered through WB is MOD is if it is a one season show, like Jericho or Gallant Men.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
James Beer
I think Mr. Broadway would be a good choice, starring Craig Stevens (Peter Gunn) and co-starring Horace McMahon (Naked City) with a jazz theme and score by Dave Brubeck. Produced by David Susskind's Talent Associates and listed by Wikipedia as being from Warner Bros.Television and CBS Television Studios. Only lasted 13 episodes in 1964-65 on CBS.

Reactions: Flashgear

HonkyTonkMan

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Real Name
Erik
phenri said:
Lawman season 2 is pressed.

I've found that the only time that a program ordered through WB is MOD is if it is a one season show, like Jericho or Gallant Men.
It isn't true that Warner Bros. only does DVD-R MOD releases for one season shows. Warner Bros. has released all three seasons of the Bill Bixby, Brandon Cruz and Miyoshi Umeki television series The Courtship of Eddie's Father on DVD-R. I bought the first two seasons of The Courtship of Eddie's Father and both of the sets had a defective disc. I then very soon afterwards threw away both of those DVD-R sets. I made a commitment right then and there that I wouldn't ever buy another DVD-R release again. I have refused to ever buy the DVD-R release of Season 3 of The Courtship of Eddie's Father. The Courtship of Eddie's Father is the only television series that I've ever bought any DVD-R releases of. Warner Bros. really needs to re-issue all three seasons of The Courtship of Eddie's Father exclusively on factory pressed DVD's. DVD-R's have way too high of a defect rate. There's also many other classic television shows that ran for a few seasons or more that Warner Bros. has released on DVD-R's.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rebccalim