Billy Batson

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I don't think RAH is at liberty to give out that type of information.

I think The Wizard of Oz and Gone With the Wind will be out on 4K/UHD disc in the coming months. I'm hoping that Gunga Din or The Roaring Twenties get released on Blu-ray before the year is out.
Yeah, I'd rather not know, & have the thrill of the announcements...I really should get out more.

I'd also love The Roaring Twenties, plus...ha, I won't start another boring list.

Matt Hough

Director
Reviewer
Real Name
Matt Hough
I agree with Alan. I'd rather not know ahead of time and let each announcement be a major surprise. Can't tell you how thrilled I was about The Thin Man, and I'd love to keep experiencing that thrill over and over during the coming months.

Astairefan

Second Unit
Real Name
Neil Powell
I don't think RAH is at liberty to give out that type of information.

I think The Wizard of Oz and Gone With the Wind will be out on 4K/UHD disc in the coming months. I'm hoping that Gunga Din or The Roaring Twenties get released on Blu-ray before the year is out.
Believe me, I don't expect an answer from RAH, my comment was mainly intended in jest. I don't deny, though, I almost wish I did know at least how many pre-1954 movies are coming from WAC, since they have been so rare (about 2-3 a year the last two years, and we're already up to three this year with The Thin Man being announced), and they are some of the "must support" releases for me!

Reactions: Mysto

Randy Korstick

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Why did possibility of a box set die when WA got them? They released a Bogard/Bacall box, granted only after the individual releases of the movies, so why not this much loved series?

$60 for a restored, BR, set of the 6 Thin Man series would be an instant purchase for me. I own the 6 movie box set on DVD and *will* be purchasing this individual BR release. I'd like to have all 6 movies on BR so a box set would be preferable as it would hopefully be a smaller footprint on the shelf.

I have all of the Busby Berkeley movies on DVD. I'm not much of a fan of those so have no need for them on BR, even 42nd Street which I consider to be the best of his output.

It's all a matter of taste.
Like you said that box set came out after actually long after the individual releases and was a real rarity for WAC Blu Rays as was the Shaft set but those probably needed minimal work. They normally release individual titles only. They have been releasing individual Tarzan films too. The Thin Man series need a lot of work to be blu ray ready so a box set is not realistic in todays disc market. I am happy to get them one or two at a time.

Will Krupp

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I credit this series (along with the PHILADELPHIA STORY) for instilling me with a genuine love for 'Golden Age" Hollywood as a kid. They used to show them quite often in the 1970's on our local Dialing for Dollars afternoon broadcasts (remember them?) and they were a never miss for me (It was the Merv Grffin show during "Elvis week" though!) I've been a husband/wife detective team addict ever since. At the time, and for many years afterward, I used to prefer the first sequel but came to warm more to the lean snappiness of this one as I got older (I am also able to see the warts in the later films more easily than I did.) I'm happy to get any of them on blu-ray as they are truly beloved to me and this is a no-brainer all the way.

I can STILL remember my excitement at getting this for Christmas in the mid 80's on VHS (remember those big yellow boxes?) and choosing it as my Christmas Eve present (I always, and still do, come to think of it, get ONE present on Christmas Eve and the rest the following day, lol) and watching it till all hours of the morning. I couldn't believe I had my very own copy! We've come a long way.

THESE were the films I would show to all of my friends (who didn't think they liked old movies) when we were in college and they were ALWAYS a huge hit.

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
62520949_10157442368801563_1409469517628702720_o.jpg

NEW 2019 1080p HD MASTER RESTORED FROM NEW 4K SCAN OF BEST ARCHIVAL ELEMENTS!

THE THIN MAN (1934)
Run Time 91:00
Subtitles English SDH
Audio DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
Aspect Ratio 1.37:1, 4 X 3
Product Color BLACK & WHITE
Disc Configuration BD 50
Special Features: 1936 Lux Radio Theater Broadcast Starring Powell and Loy (Audio Only); 1957 Episode of “The Thin Man” television series - "Scene of the Crime"; Theatrical Trailer (HD)

Nick and Nora Charles cordially invite you to bring your own alibi to The Thin Man, the jaunty whodunit that made William Powell and Myrna Loy the champagne elite of sleuthing. Bantering in the boudoir, enjoying walks with beloved dog Asta or matching each other highball for highball and clue for clue, they combined screwball romance with mystery. The resulting triumph nabbed four Academy Award® nominations (including Best Picture) and later spawned five sequels. Credit W.S. “Woody” Van Dyke for recognizing that Powell and Loy were ideal together and for getting the studio’s okay by promising to shoot this splendid adaptation of Dashiell Hammett’s novel in three weeks. He took 12 days. They didn’t call him “One-Take Woody” for nothing.

Mysto

Screenwriter
Real Name
marv long
Like you said that box set came out after actually long after the individual releases and was a real rarity for WAC Blu Rays as was the Shaft set but those probably needed minimal work. They normally release individual titles only. They have been releasing individual Tarzan films too. The Thin Man series need a lot of work to be blu ray ready so a box set is not realistic in todays disc market. I am happy to get them one or two at a time.
Well from my viewing most of the DVDs are in pretty good shape the weakest by far being the first one - the one they are releasing. So my guess is that if this sells (and I think it will) the rest "should" follow soon after.

And did I say - I'm excited!!!!

Reactions: PMF

Randy Korstick

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Well from my viewing most of the DVDs are in pretty good shape the weakest by far being the first one - the one they are releasing. So my guess is that if this sells (and I think it will) the rest "should" follow soon after.

And did I say - I'm excited!!!!
Pretty good shape for DVD yes but HD and Blu Ray is a whole nothing ballgame. I'm excited for this release too.

Arthur Powell

Second Unit
Real Name
Arthur
I actually thought the DVD was quite nice. The print was a bit ragged at times, but it was sharp and had a pleasing luminosity to it. Then again, I'm not the type who demands that the cue marks be removed. Given WAC's reputation for quality releases, I have no doubt that this blu-ray will be a substantial improvement over the DVD.

To put a positive spin on the absence of the Powell and Loy documentaries, perhaps they're being slated for release with the subsequent films.

darkrock17

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Why couldn't Criterion get this series as well as they've been knocking it out of the park lately with their screwball comedies releases. After they announced It Happened One Night, His Girl Friday, and The Philadelphia Story the Thin Man series and Bringing Up Baby were the next obvious titles.

Mysto

Screenwriter
Real Name
marv long
It occurs to me that when I joined HTF, one of my very first posts was about the absence of The Thin Man series on Blu Ray.

A couple of tidbits

These films were so popular that many other films of the same genre tried to copy the wise crack attitude (usually with little success). But they changed the style of mystery series movies at that time.

There was a discussion on HTF about the fact that this is one of those rare films where the hero's face is not shown on introduction. We see William Powell's back as he walks into frame. (Corrections - camera comes to him from the rear) My Bad!

Supposedly, when William Powell was making his entrance into the bar he was told it was a rehearsal so the take would be more natural.

ADDED: For those of you that are into vintage mystery series you may want to check out our thread on the subject. There are profiles on every US series made in the 30's and 40's plus a few more.
https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/mystery-crime-series-30s-40s.356939/

Last edited:

darkrock17

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew McClure
It occurs to me that when I joined HTF, one of my very first posts was about the absence of The Thin Man series on Blu Ray.

A couple of tidbits

These films were so popular that many other films of the same genre tried to copy the wise crack attitude (usually with little success). But they changed the style of mystery series movies at that time.

There was a discussion on HTF about the fact that this is one of those rare films where the hero's face is not shown on introduction. We see William Powell's back as he walks into frame.

Supposedly, when William Powell was making his entrance into the bar he was told it was a rehearsal so the take would be more natural.
Nick is introduced already in the bar of the hotel with a crowd around as he mixes a cocktail. Nora is the one who makes an entrance when Asta drags her to Nick.

Mysto

Screenwriter
Real Name
marv long
Nick is introduced already in the bar of the hotel with a crowd around as he mixes a cocktail. Nora is the one who makes an entrance when Asta drags her to Nick.
Of course you are right - I meant to say the camera comes in from the back. Duh! I'm juggling contractors today on a kitchen rebuild. Showed the correction but left in the mistake so all this makes sense. Thanks for the catch. One Atta-boy for you.:D

AnthonyClarke

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I have a very good friend of my own considerable vintage who insists on every visit on seeing 'The Maltese Falcon' on our projection screen. Nothing else will suffice, not even 'The Big Sleep'. I think that with 'The Thin Man' I might be able to wean him from this.
Maybe after that I'll try another favourite murder thriller, 'Pepi, Luci, Bom and the Other Girls of the Neighbourhood' .

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I have a very good friend of my own considerable vintage who insists on every visit on seeing 'The Maltese Falcon' on our projection screen.
Your friend seems like a great guy.

Sincerely,
The guy who watched the Maltese Falcon DVD every night for a month when it first came out.

Dick

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
So...are we to consider this a 5th title for July? If so, what a great month, and thanks, WAC! I would go five for five.

Forum Sponsors

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wadeheat3