What's new

Warner Archive: The Thin Man (1934) coming in July! (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Wow, kind of surprised by the remarks after my earlier post.

If I gave anyone the impression that I was not purchasing this day one, or that I wasn't glad that WB Archive was releasing this, let me dispel that notion and state for the record that I will indeed be purchasing The Thin Man.
I thought I was engaging with others on what I would like to see from WB, but I guess that some members find that to be a wrong thing to do here, as if I should just take what the studios give us and be grateful.

Sorry if you didn't like my post.
If people didn't like your post then that's on them. My point is that people generally want more than what they're getting which is our nature.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I’m here to complain about the complainers complaining about the complainers. In a very short time, these posts have also become cliche and frankly, I find them more annoying then the original posts being complained about, due to their air of superiority.

Please feel free to complain about this post, if so inclined.

PS. I’m all over The Thin Man when it gets released.
An air of superiority is overrated, especially on a board like this one.:)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I’m here to complain about the complainers complaining about the complainers. In a very short time, these posts have also become cliche and frankly, I find them more annoying then the original posts being complained about, due to their air of superiority. Please feel free to complain about this post, if so inclined.

Okay, I'm complaining about the complainers who complain with an air of superiority about the complainers with an air of superiority. :)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Back to the subject of The Thin Man. Of the six Thin Man movies, the original is the one that looks the most shopworn on DVD and of all the Thin Man films could use some spiffing up. Therefore, an HD release will (hopefully) rectify that. Still, I will wait on a review (hopefully from Mr. Harris) before purchasing.

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
I was lurker on this site ca 2002 when the DVD of the first film was announced, and I remember similar comments at that time about people wanting the full series released (which would eventually happen in 2005). It comes down to two matters - (1) impatience of which I will plead "no contest" and (2) a lack of confidence that Warners/WAC will release the whole series which in today's market is understandable. I would have loved to have seen WAC announce the full series in one swoop, but that's not happening. We're just getting the first film at this point in time, and I'm happy to see the announcement. That blu-ray will look nice sitting next to my complete series DVD set.
Vive le Asta in HD!

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I don't think Warner Archive will be releasing any Blu-ray film box sets (not films new to Blu-ray anyway). We got all those fantastic DVD sets (Marx Bros. Busby Berkeley, Errol Flynn et al), but it was a different world back then, & the films weren't cleaned-up & presented in near perfection like they are now (well most of them). Universal spoiled us rotten with those Legacy sets, but they seem to license out all their deep catalogue titles now days. I've never seen any of the Thin Man films (& I had no idea that the first one went all the way back to 1934 - the same year as Tarzan & His Mate), I might buy it, it looks like my kind of film, it would be my first Archive purchase this year. Hopefully there's a few more titles announced on Monday or Tuesday.

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
With all due respect to RAH, Warner Archive isn't known for releasing Blu-rays that aren't a huge upgrade over a DVD, especially, a DVD that was released 14 years ago.
WA is one of only two distributors whose tiles I'll order without reading a review first (the other is Twilight Time but mostly due to the limited nature of their releases and how quickly some sell out). I've been burned by others - never by WA.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
With all due respect to RAH, Warner Archive isn't known for releasing Blu-rays that aren't a huge upgrade over a DVD, especially, a DVD that was released 14 years ago.

I'm confused by this comment, Robert. Mind reminding me what I might have written?

As to classics, and in line with my few words a year or so ago, I believe this will be a big summer for Warner Archive, with The Thin Man being the tip of the iceberg...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm confused by this comment, Robert. Mind reminding me what I might have written?

As to classics, and in line with my few words a year or so ago, I believe this will be a big summer for Warner Archive, with The Thin Man being the tip of the iceberg...
@Robert Harris I"m sorry for the confusion, it has nothing to do with what you have written. I was simply stating a person doesn't have to wait on RAH's thoughts to purchase this Warner Archive release because they fear it's not a big improvement over the DVD that was released back in 2005. In short, this upcoming Blu-ray is going to be the best we've ever seen "The Thin Man" on any home video format.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
@Robert Harris I'm sorry for the confusion, it has nothing to do with what you have written. I was simply stating a person doesn't have to wait on RAH's thoughts to purchase this Warner Archive release because they fear it's not a big improvement over the DVD that was released back in 2005. In short, this upcoming Blu-ray is going to be the best we've ever seen "The Thin Man" on any home video format.
I certainly hope so. And it's probably the best we will ever see. Now if I could just get the rest and then Charlie Chan and then...

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
@Robert Harris I"m sorry for the confusion, it has nothing to do with what you have written. I was simply stating a person doesn't have to wait on RAH's thoughts to purchase this Warner Archive release because they fear it's not a big improvement over the DVD that was released back in 2005. In short, this upcoming Blu-ray is going to be the best we've ever seen "The Thin Man" on any home video format.

Ah, it was written then. Not a problem, thank you

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
The "tip of the iceberg?" Sounds good to me? Any hints how big is this "iceberg" going to be? And how many of them are going to be pre-1954 films (or is this information you can't give out)?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The "tip of the iceberg?" Sounds good to me? Any hints how big is this "iceberg" going to be? And how many of them are going to be pre-1954 films (or is this information you can't give out)?
I don't think RAH is at liberty to give out that type of information.

I think The Wizard of Oz and Gone With the Wind will be out on 4K/UHD disc in the coming months. I'm hoping that Gunga Din or The Roaring Twenties get released on Blu-ray before the year is out.

Reactions: PMF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks