1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Warner Archive: The Thin Man (1934) coming in July!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Peter Apruzzese, Jun 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. battlebeast

battlebeast Cinematographer

Warren
    I tweeted the Warner Archive to see if ALIAS NICK AND NORA would be on the disc, but no reply... yet. They seem to not like to reply to me.

2. AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke Screenwriter

Anthony
    Can't wait. I do hope though that they cut out any references to alcohol.

3. battlebeast

battlebeast Cinematographer

Warren
    UNCUT, Please!

AnthonyClarke and LeoA like this.
  4. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    That would run about 2 1/2 minutes. ;)

5. mark-edk

mark-edk Second Unit

This is the sort of thing that has limited my Blu-Ray purchases lately (as is the one-film-at-a-time Val Lewton release schedule). This should be a set of all six, like the DVDs. Instead it's one film at a time which could run up the cost to three figures by the time they're done with it. If I have to buy one film at a time I can do it on iTunes, where I've already bought Thin Man and Song of in HD when they were on sale for 4.99 each. All six aren't available as HD downloads yet, but the downloads already have a head start over the Blu-rays.

Brent Reid likes this.
  6. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I got those two tiles in HD digital too on iTunes, but there is no guarantee that we'll ever see the other five titles on Blu-ray any time soon. I can't blame Warner for not releasing all six films on Blu-ray with soft sales today on physical media.

mark-edk likes this.
  7. Arthur Powell

Arthur Powell Second Unit

Arthur
    I hope your wife will soon purchase the WAC dvd-r reissues of the last two films so the entire series will be covered. :D

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  8. dana martin

dana martin Producer

Dana Martin
    [​IMG]

Adam Lenhardt, LeoA and Will Krupp like this.
  9. TheSteig

TheSteig Screenwriter

David
    I LOVE The Thin Man and will be getting this .. I would love the others in the series as well or at least the majority of them so I can retire the box set :)

Jack K likes this.
  10. RICK BOND

RICK BOND Second Unit

RICK
    I hope there is something from My wish list in July from WBArchive. The Roaring Twenties ? High Sierra ? Ivanhoe ? Day's of Wine and Roses ????

dana martin likes this.
  11. Message #31 of 90 Jun 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    Rodney

Rodney Screenwriter
    Supporter

If I had my druthers this would be a box set with plenty of extras. This is an important series in cinematic history and I would pre-order an updated blu-ray box set with commentaries, documentaries, and not just on Powell and Loy but Skippy (AKA Asta) too.

Nora: "They say you were shot in the tabloids."
    Nick: "They never got near my tabloids."

Brent Reid and mark-edk like this.
  12. Astairefan

Astairefan Second Unit

Neil Powell
    While it's understandable, I'd like to know why everybody keeps going on about wanting this in a box set? Short of being licensed out to somebody like Criterion, the moment that WHV gave up on catalog titles and let WAC at everything, all hopes for a box set of all of these movies together DIED (or should have). One good reason: this is a six-film series. For all six to be in one box set, based on the other WAC Blu-ray box sets, the price would be about $10 per film, or $60 total (not allowing for whatever discounts a retailer would give). That alone kills it, as I JUST looked at the wbshop for their prices before making this post, and NONE of the WAC releases are being priced any higher than $47.99. NONE. Any lower than that $60 price tag, and the movies are being priced at less than $10 a film at full price for the set, and that for a decade that has very few releases from WAC on Blu-ray, partly due to some combination of high restoration expense/ low sales. Now maybe TWO box sets of three films each could be done, BUT NOT ONE OF ALL SIX.
    And another thing: let's leave the importance of these movies out of it, as that likely does NOT factor into sales. Otherwise, would somebody like to tell me how, after nearly 4 years, 42nd Street remains the only Busby Berkeley musical on Blu-ray from WAC? I was under the impression from RAH comments on that release, that that restoration was expensive and that any further Busby Berkeley musicals from the 30s would be "full restorations." 42nd Street was an "important" movie, too, but that doesn't mean it sold well enough to bring any more of that series to Blu-ray. And, again, it took 4 YEARS to get another 30s film from WAC (and my impression based on comments I have seen, since I haven't heard the podcast that said so, was that they had one 30s film coming for Blu-ray, not six). Again, you want the rest of the Thin Man series (or any other 30s films)? Then buy this release, full price, right away! Or we might otherwise be waiting for them to be licensed out (which might take too long).

13. mark-edk

mark-edk Second Unit

It's not just price that concerns some collectors. It's also practical matters like shelf space. Imagine all the Charlie Chan films doled out one at a time. (You don't really have to imagine much, the Fox Chan films may have been sold in box sets, but each set just bundled together standard 1-DVD cases. They take up just as much space as individual releases would.) I thought I planned well ahead with my DVD shelves but I've already got stuff piled up on top, on a nearby couch, and on the piano. (Also I'm not a fan of removing them from the original packaging just to save space.)

Brent Reid and BobO'Link like this.
  14. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Why did possibility of a box set die when WA got them? They released a Bogard/Bacall box, granted only after the individual releases of the movies, so why not this much loved series?

$60 for a restored, BR, set of the 6 Thin Man series would be an instant purchase for me. I own the 6 movie box set on DVD and *will* be purchasing this individual BR release. I'd like to have all 6 movies on BR so a box set would be preferable as it would hopefully be a smaller footprint on the shelf.

I have all of the Busby Berkeley movies on DVD. I'm not much of a fan of those so have no need for them on BR, even 42nd Street which I consider to be the best of his output.

It's all a matter of taste.

LeoA, Rodney and mark-edk like this.
  15. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Finally a bona fide genuine classic film from the 1930s gets released on blu ray by the Warners Archives. You'd think there would be singing and dancing in the streets by those who have been crying for months and months about the WA not releasing pre-1953 product. Yet we get complaints that it's not part of a box set! Ah, Warners, you just can't win. Damned if you do and damned if you don't :) Frankly, I'm beginning to wonder why you even bother at all.

16. Message #36 of 90 Jun 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    If you look at any thread announcing any Blu-ray release, you will see comments from people wanting more than what is being released like some other title. It's like human nature to ask for more than what is coming.:)

17. Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell Screenwriter

Andy Budgell
    I think it's completely unrealistic to expect these films to be released as a boxed set. I'm just thrilled it's coming at all and I'll definitely be supporting it, with the hope that we'll see more 1930s films in the future.

18. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Yeah, I seem to remember when Criterion announced their release of Swing Time that it dashed hopes of WA ever doing an Astaire and Rogers blu ray box set and some weren't happy about that. But with physical media on the wane, I'm like the hungry dog grateful for any bones tossed my way. If I growl, I just might not get any more bones. :)

19. Rodney

Rodney Screenwriter
    Supporter

Wow, kind of surprised by the remarks after my earlier post.

If I gave anyone the impression that I was not purchasing this day one, or that I wasn't glad that WB Archive was releasing this, let me dispel that notion and state for the record that I will indeed be purchasing The Thin Man.
    I thought I was engaging with others on what I would like to see from WB, but I guess that some members find that to be a wrong thing to do here, as if I should just take what the studios give us and be grateful.

Sorry if you didn't like my post.

ThadK, Brent Reid and RMajidi like this.
  20. Mike2001

Mike2001 Supporting Actor

Mike
    I’m here to complain about the complainers complaining about the complainers. In a very short time, these posts have also become cliche and frankly, I find them more annoying then the original posts being complained about, due to their air of superiority.

Please feel free to complain about this post, if so inclined.

PS. I’m all over The Thin Man when it gets released.

ThadK, Lee Smith, Brent Reid and 2 others like this.