What's new

Warner Archive: The Sea Hawk (1940) on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The announcement says original theatrical edition. Is this the version the was shown theatrically in the US or the version shown in the UK with some references alluding to the then current world war. The DVD was the UK version. Just curious. In any case I will be getting this.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Apparently inclusive of orig elements for the final US version, along with the extra material from, as I recall, the BFI. There should be a shift in quality, but unavoidable.

Can’t wait to see what they’ve done with this.

Jeff Heise

Grip
Real Name
Jeffry Heise
THE SEA HAWK (1940)
NEW 2018 1080p HD Master!
Run Time 127:00 (Original Theatrical Release Cut, Restored)
Subtitles English SDH
Sound Quality DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
Aspect Ratio ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO - 1.37:1, 4 X 3 STANDARD
Product Color BLACK & WHITE
Disc Configuration BD 50
Special Features:
Leonard Maltin hosts Warner Night at the Movies 1940 (SD) with Newsreel, Alice in Movieland theatrical short, Porky's Poor Fish cartoon(HD), Virginia City Theatrical Trailer (SD).
Featurette (SD) "The Sea Hawk: Flynn in Action".
Sea Hawk Theatrical Trailer (HD).

Cannons thunder, blades clatter and Erich Wolfgang Korngold’s incomparable music swirls and flourishes in The Sea Hawk. In one of his best roles, Errol Flynn plays Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe, who commandeers a 40-gun galleon, endures captivity, then boldly escapes to warn England of Spain’s armada. Working on his 10th of 12 movies with Flynn, Michael Curtiz (Casablanca) masterfully directs the film’s blend of royal intrigue and derring-do heroics – made on a then-lavish $1.7-million scale that included construction of two full-sized ships. The film was stirringly topical in its day. When Queen Elizabeth (Flora Robson) exhorts her country to maintain fighting readiness against tyranny “now and forever,” audiences knew forever had come: Hitler had launched his World War II air siege of England.

46459202_10156910571666563_6097764794700398592_n.jpg
About damn time! Now, where are NOW, VOYAGER and THE SHOP AROUND THE CORNER?

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
I've done my part by sending in my pre-orders for The Sea Hawk and the Popeye release. Let's hope that WAC will give Errol Flynn the same treatment given to Humphrey Bogart and John Wayne. I'd love to get blu-ray upgrades for Captain Blood, The Charge of the Light Brigade, They Died With Their Boots On, Gentleman Jim, San Antonio, etc.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've done my part by sending in my pre-orders for The Sea Hawk and the Popeye release. Let's hope that WAC will give Errol Flynn the same treatment given to Humphrey Bogart and John Wayne. I'd love to get blu-ray upgrades for Captain Blood, The Charge of the Light Brigade, They Died With Their Boots On, Gentleman Jim, San Antonio, etc.
Thank you. I think Captain Blood, The Charge of the Light Brigade and perhaps They Died With their Boots On are coming one day. Not too long ago, I watched the HD download/spring of The Charge of the Light Brigade on iTunes and it looked really good.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I've seen The Charge Of The Light Brigade in HD on TV & it looked really nice, & I thought the best looking film in the Flynn DVD box set was They Died With Their Boots On, I looked at it again recently & thought it looked great. I don't think I've seen Gentleman Jim since the early sixties, of course I'd buy it. My first choice for the next Flynn would be, The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex (1939), not a great film, but worth having for the amazing 1939 Warner opulent production design & colour photography, & it's my favourite Korngold score. But let's enjoy the hell out of The Sea Hawk first.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
Yes, more Errol Flynn would be nice. Pity it can't include his first official film(not counting In the Wake of the Bounty made in Australia and survives on disc) made in Warner's UK Teddington Studios and lost along with many other films produced there for, mostly, the British market.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks