What's new

Warner Archive: Summer Stock on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...]Would you believe I was 15 when I joined the HTF! :D
Ah-ha, Taylor*D is proof pudding that there is an existing presence from a younger generation who enjoys the classic films of pre-1954.
Taylor*D, you've made my weekend.
And may Warner's and all other studios take full note;
for here we have a gentleman who joined HTF at 15;
and is still here with us at 29;
and is also looking forward to "Summer Stock".

Wonderful !!!:cheers:

Last edited:

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I grew up in the “golden age of television” when all these movies played over and over either in the mid afternoon or late at night. I only saw them in black and white of course!

Bill Kennedy out of Detroit had a show for decades where he would introduce and play movies from classic Hollywood. Sometimes he would pick an artist say Bette Davis and over a period of months play all her movies.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
Ah-ha, Taylor*D is proof pudding that there is an existing presence from a younger generation who enjoys the classic films of pre-1954.
Taylor*D, you've made my weekend.
And may Warner's and all other studios take full note;
for here we have a gentleman who joined HTF at 15;
and is still here with us at 29;
and is also looking forward to "Summer Stock".

Wonderful !!!:cheers:
Well, there are some of us here! I'll admit to being a little older at 32, but I'm still young, and I very much prefer a lot of the film musicals of the 30s through the 50s (and am really glad to see WAC trying to extend that period again, instead of just a small section of it)!

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I'm curious as to why they haven't really dipped into the 40s MGM technicolor musicals. They've only put out (I think) Anchors Aweigh and of course Meet me in St. Louis (which is an evergreen title anyway). Where are the Harvey Girls and Ziegfield Follies?

And as mentioned earlier, they've never done any Esther Williams films, no Jeanette MacDonald and they've also never touched any of Mario Lanza's stuff, not even "The Student Prince" in which Lanza is better heard than seen.

You'd think they'd at least put out some of Lucy's MGM movies (no, 'Mame' doesn't count) because she's still popular. They seem to lean towards Gene Kelly's 1950s output, and they've only put out the really popular ones anyway. The only flop of his they've put out yet is "It's Always Fair Weather." Where are his other (beloved) flops such as the Pirate and "Invitation to the Dance?" I'd rather watch a Gene Kelly flop than another superhero movie, I can tell you that.

If you want lesser-known MGM flicks that are always good for a laugh, you can't go wrong by:

Two Weeks With Love
Luxury Liner
Good News
Two Sisters From Boston
DuBarry Was a Lady
Jupiter's Darling

This isn't even a complaint, because most of the MGM canon is on dvd in the Archives for all to see. I just wonder at the glacial pace of the blu-rays, even though from where I'm sitting I can see on my shelf I have already collected 25 of them.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
I'm curious as to why they haven't really dipped into the 40s MGM technicolor musicals. They've only put out (I think) Anchors Aweigh and of course Meet me in St. Louis (which is an evergreen title anyway). Where are the Harvey Girls and Ziegfield Follies?

And as mentioned earlier, they've never done any Esther Williams films, no Jeanette MacDonald and they've also never touched any of Mario Lanza's stuff, not even "The Student Prince" in which Lanza is better heard than seen.

You'd think they'd at least put out some of Lucy's MGM movies (no, 'Mame' doesn't count) because she's still popular. They seem to lean towards Gene Kelly's 1950s output, and they've only put out the really popular ones anyway. The only flop of his they've put out yet is "It's Always Fair Weather." Where are his other (beloved) flops such as the Pirate and "Invitation to the Dance?" I'd rather watch a Gene Kelly flop than another superhero movie, I can tell you that.

If you want lesser-known MGM flicks that are always good for a laugh, you can't go wrong by:

Two Weeks With Love
Luxury Liner
Good News
Two Sisters From Boston
DuBarry Was a Lady
Jupiter's Darling

This isn't even a complaint, because most of the MGM canon is on dvd in the Archives for all to see. I just wonder at the glacial pace of the blu-rays, even though from where I'm sitting I can see on my shelf I have already collected 25 of them.
I don't have any insider information, but I would assume low sales and/or high restoration costs must be the problem. You mentioned Anchors Aweigh, which, along with On The Town, were the last Warner-owned MGM musicals from the forties to come out on blu, and the transfers on both of the those releases were TRASHED by everybody here (since that was before WAC quality was implemented for WHV). As I have been saying, this upcoming blu of Summer Stock is WAC's first new-to-blu pre-1954 MGM musical, and WAC's first new-to-blu pre-1954 musical from ANY of the studios since Thank Your Lucky Stars four years ago. If Gene Kelly's output has been emphasized through WAC, it's because he had a few movies that he made/appeared in after 1954, and apparently, they must have sold, if their first attempt at a pre-1954 musical is another Gene Kelly musical. And it's not just the MGM musicals, their output of pre-1954 movies has really slowed the last few years, with only three new-to-blu movies last year through WAC, and two the year before (meanwhile, in 2016, they had more releases from that time period than the last two years combined). I do wonder how much the difference in aspect ratios is part of what affects that. And, as has been mentioned earlier in this thread, WAC has had very few 3-strip technicolor releases, which tells me they must be expensive to restore. Again, if we want more, we HAVE to support these releases with day 1, full price purchases, instead of waiting for 4 for $44 sales, which don't do WAC as much good (or us, either, if we actually want these releases).

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
You can't go wrong with 'Two Weeks with Love'. What a gem of a musical.
You most certainly can go wrong with Two Weeks With Love. The MOD disc is totally sub-standard! I'm not at all surprised that Warner Archive have not released this film on Blu-ray disc.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, the DVD-R is color timed badly and is too dark, but the musical itself is really entertaining and not nearly as lauded as it should have been.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
My comment of course was about this marvelous musical, not the present DVD, which I do view occasionally despite its faults. Surely a better presentation could be managed for Blu ray, even if not a perfect one. It's a blissful little movie, especially for Jane Powell's 'Oceana Roll' which I still play on its original MGM 78 rpm disc, and for Debbie Reynold's everything....

Real Name
Benjamin Burke
I'm wondering if this is only coming out on blu-ray, because the Master for the DVD was nothing short of ravishing. If so, I guess that means that the possibility of other 3-strip musicals (whose quality on DVD is not as great) making it to blu-ray is much slimmer, because the restorations would be much more costly. Anyway, I'm over the moon at the thought of this coming out on blu-ray! What an incredible film! There should be more of MGM's three-strip musicals on blu-ray by now and hopefully more will come in the future. EVERYONE, BUY THIS DISC.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I'm wondering if this is only coming out on blu-ray, because the Master for the DVD was nothing short of ravishing. If so, I guess that means that the possibility of other 3-strip musicals (whose quality on DVD is not as great) making it to blu-ray is much slimmer, because the restorations would be much more costly. Anyway, I'm over the moon at the thought of this coming out on blu-ray! What an incredible film! There should be more of MGM's three-strip musicals on blu-ray by now and hopefully more will come in the future. EVERYONE, BUY THIS DISC.
Welcome aboard!

I assume you're referring to Summer Stock. Undoubtedly a major reason this is coming out on Blu-ray disc is that the elements are in good condition. It has been a recurring characteristic of the Warner Archive Blu-ray program that films that already looked good on DVD are given a Blu-ray outing while films that looked bad on DVD languish in the vaults. There have been one or two exceptions to this rule but not many.

Real Name
Benjamin Burke
Welcome aboard!

I assume you're referring to Summer Stock. Undoubtedly a major reason this is coming out on Blu-ray disc is that the elements are in good condition. It has been a recurring characteristic of the Warner Archive Blu-ray program that films that already looked good on DVD are given a Blu-ray outing while films that looked bad on DVD languish in the vaults. There have been one or two exceptions to this rule but not many.
That's what I was afraid of...I guess we have several possibilities to look forward to then. Such as The Harvey Girls, Till the Clouds Roll By, and even Good News. There are several others that don't look great that I think would be too good to pass up though. Maybe Criterion will pick those up if they're passed on by Warner.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
That's what I was afraid of...I guess we have several possibilities to look forward to then. Such as The Harvey Girls, Till the Clouds Roll By, and even Good News. There are several others that don't look great that I think would be too good to pass up though. Maybe Criterion will pick those up if they're passed on by Warner.
I join in welcoming you here!
Personally, I would say that I have my doubts that Till The Clouds Roll By will come from WAC for two reasons (both guesses on my part): 1) that movie is in a quasi-public domain status (some think it is PD, some don't), which, considering WAC's reluctance to release any pre-1954 MGM musicals on Blu-ray until this release of Summer Stock, seems unlikely to come soon, and 2) we think Criterion has licensed AT LEAST the 1936 Showboat (since the WAC DVD release is out-of-print, and that shouldn't be the case if it hasn't been licensed out), and they might also have the '29 and '51 versions (and maybe Till The Clouds Roll By, as they aren't as bothered by releasing PD stuff). Of course, I agree with your sentiment in your previous post, that we need to support Summer Stock with Day 1, full-price purchases if we want more!

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I join in welcoming you here!
Personally, I would say that I have my doubts that Till The Clouds Roll By will come from WAC for two reasons (both guesses on my part): 1) that movie is in a quasi-public domain status (some think it is PD, some don't), which, considering WAC's reluctance to release any pre-1954 MGM musicals on Blu-ray until this release of Summer Stock, seems unlikely to come soon, and 2) we think Criterion has licensed AT LEAST the 1936 Showboat (since the WAC DVD release is out-of-print, and that shouldn't be the case if it hasn't been licensed out), and they might also have the '29 and '51 versions (and maybe Till The Clouds Roll By, as they aren't as bothered by releasing PD stuff). Of course, I agree with your sentiment in your previous post, that we need to support Summer Stock with Day 1, full-price purchases if we want more!
I like your intuition. It makes perfect sense that the reason that the '36 Show Boat is now out-of-print might just be because there is a Criterion Box of all three versions in the works. I hope you're right!

moviepas

Supporting Actor
That long list of MGM films that should be on Blu Ray is great and I agree with the best moments songs listed. There is a problem with The Great Ziegfeld(no not the length) in that the surviving materials are very scratched overall and would take a lot of work if it can be cleaned up. When the Clark Gable Mutiny on the Bounty(1935) came out on Laserdisc(I have it still) they noted that the surviving materials, thru overuse of the negative were below par. Ziegfeld is way below that an I had no problem with the quality of Mutiny. Here's hoping we get more of these soon. George F did say in a recent podcast that they had a musical planned from the 50s, perhaps it was Summer Stock. It is worth noting that the UK title was very similar to the title of Judy's last released feature film(originally going to be called The Lonely Stage and we have a trailer made for that title). Summer Stock was stage in UK due to the phrase "Summer Stock" not known there. A series of Twofer LPs of MGM musicals that were released in UK years later retained the UK release title on the cover for Summer Stock.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
I like your intuition. It makes perfect sense that the reason that the '36 Show Boat is now out-of-print might just be because there is a Criterion Box of all three versions in the works. I hope you're right!
Well, I can't claim to be the first person to think it. I just latched onto it, since it was the first indication that ANYTHING that Warner Bros. owned from the thirties was being considered for Blu-ray for the first time since 2015. I really don't see what else it could be. I know Warner should still have the rights, and I doubt they would be pulling it for a new transfer, considering this was released for WAC's fifth anniversary (and not in their first year before they started remastering). I can't see Shout licensing it (since they don't seem to be getting DVD rights), so unless Warner has licensed out to anybody else (and they've been keeping it a secret for half a year), it would have to be Criterion. And with that long delay, I can only believe they are planning a box set (and, again, I hope they include the full Till The Clouds Roll By)!

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The copyrights to "Till The Clouds Roll By" and "Royal Wedding" were not renewed after 28 years which was necessary prior to a change copyright law . Once something is in public domain it can't be put under copyright again. However there could be elements in the film(s) that are still protected by copyright such as the music. There is no list of films that are public domain. Anyone can publish anything without permission. It is up to the owners of the work to assert their rights. Reasons for owners not asserting their rights could be because they are dead without leaving any heirs or perhaps the cost to defend their rights exceed the benefits. If no one objects then the person who put out a copy without permission can continue to do so. Anyone can use the characters of Dorothy, the Scarecrow, etc from the novel , The Wonderful Wizard of Oz" because the book is in public domain but they can't use the music from 1939 MGM musical or the Ruby Red Slippers without permission because they were created for the MGM film which is still protected by copyright. The novel and musical, "Wicked" did not have to pay the estate of Frank L Baum or Warner Bros to produce their book and musical. However if anyone makes a movie with the characters they can't call "The Wicked Witch of The West" by the name Elphaba, because that is unique to "Wicked" and they would need to obtain permission from the "Wicked" rights holder to do so.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
The copyrights to "Till The Clouds Roll By" and "Royal Wedding" were not renewed after 28 years which was necessary prior to a change copyright law . Once something is in public domain it can't be put under copyright again. However there could be elements in the film(s) that are still protected by copyright such as the music. There is no list of films that are public domain. Anyone can publish anything without permission. It is up to the owners of the work to assert their rights. Reasons for owners not asserting their rights could be because they are dead without leaving any heirs or perhaps the cost to defend their rights exceed the benefits. If no one objects then the person who put out a copy without permission can continue to do so. Anyone can use the characters of Dorothy, the Scarecrow, etc from the novel , The Wonderful Wizard of Oz" because the book is in public domain but they can't use the music from 1939 MGM musical or the Ruby Red Slippers without permission because they were created for the MGM film which is still protected by copyright. The novel and musical, "Wicked" did not have to pay the estate of Frank L Baum or Warner Bros to produce their book and musical. However if anyone makes a movie with the characters they can't call "The Wicked Witch of The West" by the name Elphaba, because that is unique to "Wicked" and they would need to obtain permission from the "Wicked" rights holder to do so.
All I'm trying to say is that the public domain status of these movies leaves me guessing that WAC is unlikely to bother with them. After all, if they are barely releasing ANY musicals on Blu-ray that were made before 1954, then why would they try to lead with PD movies, where sales might get hurt purely because of that fact? I mean, on that same subject, we haven't exactly seen Father's Little Dividend to go with their release of Father Of The Bride nearly three years ago. If Criterion licenses any of these, though, then there might be hope, as they aren't bothered by this as much.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks