1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Warner Archive: Summer Stock on Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Crawford, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Warner Archive Collection
    1 hr ·
    SUMMER STOCK (1950)
    NEW 2019 1080p HD MASTER
    Run Time 109:00
    Subtitles English SDH
    Sound Quality DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
    Aspect Ratio 4 X 3 FULL FRAME, 1.37:1
    Product Color COLOR
    Disc Configuration BD 50
    Special Features: Get Happy:The Making of Summer Stock (featurette); Vintage Pete Smith Specialty Short “Did’ja Know” (SD); Vintage Tex Avery cartoon “The Cuckoo Clock” (HD)Theatrical Trailer (HD)

There’s an unusual harvest at Falbury Farm: beans, hay…show tunes. It’s a bumper crop, too, with Judy Garland and Gene Kelly leading all the hoofing, singing and sparking. In her final MGM musical, Garland plays Jane Falbury, a farm owner more than a bit riled when her aspiring-actress sister (Gloria De Haven) shows up with a theatrical troupe that wants to stage a musical in the family’s barn. Any guess who becomes the show’s sudden star after its lead runs off with a Broadway actor? Highlights include Kelly’s shuffle-and-squeak “You, Wonderful You” dance solo making use of loose boards and newspaper on the floor, tuxedo-topped Garland’s leggy, joyous “Get Happy” and a Kelly/Phil Silvers country-bumpkin bit of “Heavenly Music” backed by woofing canines. After a show like this, how’re you gonna keep these kids down on the farm?

[​IMG]

MatthewA, PMF, AnthonyClarke and 10 others like this.
  2. Message #2 of 86 Mar 19, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2019
    Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    The price link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

PMF and Will Krupp like this.
  3. Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell Screenwriter

Andy Budgell
    It's really encouraging to see WAC release another Technicolor film (and more Judy Garland is always a great thing). It gives me hope that we still might see National Velvet at some point. It's celebrating its 75th anniversary this year!

MatthewA, PMF, Peter Keller and 7 others like this.
  4. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

A lot of people thought Show Boat would be the next Warners Archive Technicolor musical on blu ray but I had a sneaking suspicion it would be either Summer Stock, The Pirate or In The Good Old Summertime. Now bring on Good News, Warners!

MatthewA, PMF, Peter Keller and 6 others like this.
  5. Astairefan

Astairefan Second Unit

Neil Powell
    All I have to say is FINALLY WE HAVE A NEW-TO-BLU PRE-1954 MGM MUSICAL FROM WAC!!! I'm certainly anxiously awaiting this one! Personally, I'm not surprised it's not the '51 Show Boat, as I can't help but wonder whether Criterion might have gotten that one along with the '36 (maybe even Till The Clouds Roll By and the '29 version, which might explain what might be holding the release up, seeing as how the '36 DVD has been OOP for half a year by now).

6. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    I love musicals and I'm buying this disc! Don't waste your time trying to talk me out of it, boys! This baby's going to be mine!

MatthewA, PMF, Peter Keller and 2 others like this.
  7. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor
    Supporter

Allen
    Yes to Good News.

Will Krupp, PMF, Nick*Z and 6 others like this.
  8. lark144

lark144 Supporting Actor

mark gross
    Though I was hoping for THE PIRATE, I'll certainly buy this. In fact, I plan on pre-ordering through the Archive website, just to give it my support.

While for me this may be the weakest of Judy Garland's MGM musicals, it still has a number of amazing sequences in it, just more longueurs than usual in between. Anyway, as other posters have already stated, it's Judy. And Gene Kelly. And Charles Walters. And Technicolor. Reason enough to get it as soon as possible.

Anyway, I saw this with my Mom when I was 4, so it will bring back memories. As I've stated in other posts, these Blu-Rays are for me the equivalent of Marcel Proust's madeleines dipped in Chamomile tea.

No, I'm not old enough to have seen SUMMER STOCK when it came out, but in the mid 50's, the Loew's Strand in downtown Syracuse started showing MGM films oriented towards children at 11AM on Saturdays, and this was one of them. I remember what year it was as I was wearing my brand-new Davy Crocket hat. Other films in the series were THE WIZARD OF OZ, SINGIN' IN THE RAIN & THE THREE MUSKETEERS. The nice thing about this program of MGM classics was that when THE WIZARD OF OZ started showing annually on TV, unlike most of my friends, I was aware that most of the film was supposed to be in color.

MatthewA, Will Krupp, PMF and 8 others like this.
  9. lark144

lark144 Supporting Actor

mark gross
    Let me also say that the Loew;s Strand had an interior lobby next to the Men's and Women's Lounges (for that is what they called them in those days) that was an Italianate piazza with multi-colored tile and a balcony with wrought iron in the shape of clinging vines out of Romeo & Juliet, which was a great place to hang if the movie was a bit boring. I was inconsolable when the theater was razed in 1960 to make room for a parking garage.

PMF, Peter Keller and Todd Mattraw like this.
  10. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I bought the HD version on iTunes several weeks ago and have enjoyed it a couple of times since I bought it. It looks beautiful. I'm sure the Blu-ray will look even more spectacular, and I'll see for myself when it's released. It's Judy, and I will buy every movie of hers on Blu-ray.

PMF, Peter Keller, GlennF and 4 others like this.
  11. Garysb

Garysb Cinematographer

I wonder if the cover is in error and if it will be changed. Gene Kelly never got billing over Judy Garland. Usually the billing on blu rays maintains the original billing.

12. Mark B

Mark B Supporting Actor

Mark

I hope they fix the goof made when refreshing the soundtrack for DVD. At 2:47 the "Charge!" is missing.

ponset and JoelA like this.
  13. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor
    Supporter

Allen
    CF89E016-8E34-424D-860D-9870772660E0.

All the US advertising material does have Garland first and Kelly second. However, some foreign advertising had it reversed as in this Belgium one-sheet, which the Blu-Ray cover seems based on.

14. Message #14 of 86 Mar 20, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    Garysb

Garysb Cinematographer

See this is the type of detail that people on this board and others spot but no one noticed the 20 seconds cut from "Psycho" almost 60 years ago until the German blu ray was released. Don't understand it.

As for the missing "Charge" in "Summer Stock", I am guessing that was not on the pre recording used in the remaster of the film audio. Whether they used the stems for the songs and it was missing instead of the soundtrack from the negative or however that works. Basically to get better sound quality they used a source missing that word. It might have been a conscious decision to use a source with better sound and lose the word rather than an error.

Mark B likes this.
  15. Ken_Martinez

Ken_Martinez Second Unit

Ken
    Other than the film itself, the most noteworthy announcement is a Tex Avery cartoon that is going to be presented in HD.

None of Tex' MGM cartoons have ever been given anything than antiquated videotape masters. If that press release isn't in error, this will be the first time any of them have been prepped for high definition. Hopefully this indicates that WAC is gearing up for a much-needed, much-delayed release of his cartoons.

MatthewA, PMF, Randy Korstick and 5 others like this.
  16. Message #16 of 86 Mar 20, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    JoelA

JoelA Producer

Joel Arndt
    untitled.
    What a great announcement and I have to admit, I was one of those who predicted the 3-strip title would be Show Boat. It makes total sense that all the Show Boats may be released by Criterion at some point. I'm just as pleased about this, if not more so. A delightful film that belies the enormous headaches that went into its filming. Much to enjoy here with a talented cast at the top of their form which includes two of the best solo music performances ever caught on film, Garland's Get Happy and Kelly's newspaper dance to You Wonderful You. It's always a cause for celebration anytime a 3-strip gem from the golden age is released on Blu-ray. And attached here is the one sheet poster art with which I'm most familiar. In the US, Garland was always billed over Kelly.

Will Krupp, PMF, Peter Keller and 2 others like this.
  17. Harold Chasen

Steven
    I'm excited to get this film, and even more excited because it maybe (hopefully, probably) means more 3-strip Technicolor movies controlled by Warners will be released on Blu. I had despaired of that, since most of the Warner Archive releases - even Seven Brides For Seven Brothers - were from already existing interpositives, and that won't work well for most 3-strip titles.

For me, the most-wanted musical title is The Pirate. Most of the other musicals look good or better on DVD, but The Pirate looks faded and flat. I haven't been able to watch the Laserdisc from the Judy Garland box set in some time, but I remember it as being much more colorful.

18. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    I surely hope you're right!

PMF likes this.
  19. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

I thought they were concentrating on the Cinemascope MGM features for a while, in which case, "Jupiter's Darling" might have been next. I don't think they've touched any of Esther Williams' films on blu yet.

20. Message #20 of 86 Mar 20, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    JoelA

JoelA Producer

Joel Arndt
    They have been focusing on the Scope Anscocolor/Eastmancolor/Metrocolor films. This came out of left field. The elements must have been in great shape. The DVD looked good back in the day. And count me in for Jupiter's Darling. Highly underrated film. The only Esther Williams film on Blu-ray (if you can call it that) is Deep in My Heart and her scene with George Murphy in Girlies of the Cabaret was cut before release. It's a bonus feature on the disc.