What's new

Warner Archive Show Boat : Universal logo chopped off (1 Viewer)

Ken Volok

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ken Volok
While I'm still stoked to have scored a pressed disc of James Whales' Show Baot, my initial joy was diminished when I discovered the vintage Universal logo had been chopped off. Why??????

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Hard to say. It may have been removed from the negative when MGM acquired the film. Seems to be the case with many of these sorts of films that MGM bought off from other studios. Yet strangely most have the ending studio credits intact and Show Boat is no exception as it still has the airplane globe "The End" card present.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I looked on the playing surface of my copy and it sure looks like a pressed version too, not the funny colors and odd spacings of a DVD-R.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
The original batch was pressed in anticipation of high demand. No idea how long that lasts but you can be sure that this time next year it'll be burned.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
There's a layer change when Joe is shelling peas before breaking into "I still suits me". Sorry I didn't get the timing. It's too bad the disc doesn't have any scene index: all the menu has is one choice, to play the film.

Are burned discs still single layer? Been a long time since I checked.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
DVD-R's are dual-layer when they need to be; the disc will most definitely still be dual-layered when it shifts to MOD production.

Ken Volok

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ken Volok
I'm pretty sure the Criterion laserdisc had the Universal logo. It's really surprising how neglected this film has been.

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
All the theatrical prints I have seen have had both MGM and Universal logos.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Please stop talking about this Show Boat. It makes me feel so left-out since Warners refuse to sell this title to Australia.
Yes, it may one day ... may ... be available through another online retailer such as Amazon, but by then it will be a burn-on-demand disc, not pressed.
You people are so lucky to have it, with or without the Universal logo ....

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Ken Volok said:
I'm pretty sure the Criterion laserdisc had the Universal logo. It's really surprising how neglected this film has been.
This is the very last film I've had on VHS. I can finally send my VHS deck off to the happy hunting ground.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
This one should be up on Amazon.com eventually. Seems like it was a temporary WAC exclusive for a time.
ajabrams said:
All the theatrical prints I have seen have had both MGM and Universal logos.
The WAC DVD doesn't include the MGM logo either. It goes straight to the title card. Which is good, because an MGM logo would look even more wrong.

In this case, you win some, you lose some.

Aunt Peg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William Edwards
AnthonyClarke said:
Please stop talking about this Show Boat. It makes me feel so left-out since Warners refuse to sell this title to Australia.
Yes, it may one day ... may ... be available through another online retailer such as Amazon, but by then it will be a burn-on-demand disc, not pressed.
I am in the same boat as you so I purchased a copy of the pressed disc through one of the sellers on Amazon. The postage is a cost killer but at least it is a pressed disc.

Roger Grodsky

Stunt Coordinator
SHOW BOAT (1936)

[*]Main titles
[*]The show boat comes to town (“Cotton Blossom”)
[*]Parade
[*]“Captain Andy’s Ballyhoo”
[*]Frank and Ellie dance
[*]Just one big happy family
[*]“Where’s the Mate for Me?”
[*]“Make Believe”
[*]Joe and Queenie
[*]“Ol’ Man River”
[*]Kitchen scene
[*]“Can’t Help Lovin’ Dat Man”
[*]“Can’t Help Lovin’ Dat Man” (part 2)
[*]Saloon and rehearsal
[*]Miscegenation scene
[*]Life on the wicked stage
[*]After the show
[*]“I Have the Room above Her”
[*]The Parson’s Bride
[*]Pandemonium/Captain Andy goes solo
[*]“Gallivantin” Around”
[*]A secret meeting
[*]“You Are Love”
[*]The wedding
[*]In the kitchen
[*]“Ah Still Suits Me”
[*]Card game/storm/Kim is born
[*]Living the high life in Chicago
[*]The letter
[*]Convent scene
[*]“Make Believe” (reprise)
[*]The Trocadero
[*]“Bill”
[*]“Can’t Help Lovin’ Dat Man” (reprise)
[*]Rag it!
[*]New Year’s Eve
[*]Captain Andy, flirt
[*]“Good-bye, Ma Lady Love”
[*]“After the Ball”
[*]Magnolia Ravenal, superstar
[*]Kim Ravenal, superstar
[*]Plantation number/reunion
[*]“You Are Love” (reprise)
[*]End titles
[/list]

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
In one of the prior HTF chats, WHV explained that it is their corporate policy to chop off the logos of other studios when they release a film that had one. Now, obiviously, there are a lot of exceptions to this. It doesn't apply to RKO, which is defunct, and it doesn't apply to MGM, and it doesn't apply to certain licensed product (Samuel Goldwyn, Paramount), but it apparently applies here and to the Wilma Flintstone Columbia lady at the beginning of A Man Called Flintstone. Overall, it's a really stupid policy that alienates fans, but it's very rare for WB to ever change a corporate policy.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
And yet, the Screen Gems Film Presentation credit was allowed to remain at the close of The Flintstones TV series, seasons 1-3. The dancing sticks and the S from hell logos of SG were chopped off from seasons 4-6, and that never sat well with purists.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
The loss of the Universal Logo at the front of 1936 SHOWBOAT might have been part of the sale agreement of the film to MGM. When the deal was struck MGM did not have any intention of ever releasing that version or the 1929 version. In their eyes the true SHOW BOAT would be their 1951 epic. Thank goodness for TV sales for then the 36 version became worth something.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
AnthonyClarke said:
Why not have a friend in the U.S. (or even someone on this forum) buy it for you and send it over? Could be a symbiotic relationship, as there are Australian titles not available here.

Roger Grodsky

Stunt Coordinator
I would be happy to trade a SHOW BOAT for an Australian blu of DOCTOR DOOLITTLE. Anthony can email me privately if he's interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks