What's new

WAC Releasing Auntie Mame onto Blu-ray 12-05-17! (1 Viewer)

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I saw Auntie Mame as a double feature with A Bridge to the Sun. I was in my early teens. I empathized with poor Carroll's woes in Japan but had a blast with the madcap Aunt; the misadventures of Miss Gooch; the steel magnolia Sally Cato; lushious Vera; and the genteel supremacists, the Upsons. What a wonderful , wonderful movie, and what a sublime performance. A movie to savor whenever your spirits need a lift.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Is this going to be the same HD transfer that is already on Amazon streaming?
Absolutely not. When asked about Auntie Mame George Feltenstein has always said that the current master is 1080i and not suitable for Blu-ray. This announcement would indicate that they have finally done a new scan.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
This really makes me happy. Years ago I tried to book, what was said to be a new print of Auntie Mane. The booker told me no, they had so many complaints of the new print that they went back and looked and did not know that it was filmed in Tecnirama and the print was all messed up. I’m glad to see this is a new transfer. Thank you WAC.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Well, actually you could; as "Up The Down Staircase" and "The Days of Wine and Roses" and "Mister Roberts and...well...never mind.
As the wicked witch had once said, "All in good time, my pretties, all in good time".:cool:

P.S. "Auntie Mame" will be a Day One purchase for me, too.:)
Yes, I want all of those, too, but I'm happy with what we're getting right now. And will keep my fingers crossed for more waves of anticipatory joy.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Absolutely not. When asked about Auntie Mame George Feltenstein has always said that the current master is 1080i and not suitable for Blu-ray. This announcement would indicate that they have finally done a new scan.

I have a recording of the old Auntie Mame version somewhere and it is in no way up to Warner's present standards.
Would be interesting to know which kind of work they did on this one but I am confident that there will be no reason to complain as their last two (Super) Technirama (70) releases were I believe King of Kings and Gypsy and both looked very good.

Reactions: PMF

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I want all of those, too, but I'm happy with what we're getting right now. And will keep my fingers crossed for more waves of anticipatory joy.

I know what you mean, overall we have been blessed with such a big number of worthy releases that I find it hard to keep up with all of them.
So while I am still waiting for a lot of titles I feel less inclined to ask for them that often due to all the other nice releases that still wait for me.

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I concur about WAC's releases. Who could truly complain? It's a funny thing about getting a great and spruced up release; it creates that immediate impulse to ask for more. It's sort of like, "Okay, WAC, now that you've got this title out of the way, can we finally have that title be released next?" In many ways, this is actually the highest of compliments to groups like WAC, as they leave us wanting more.

And speaking of Technirama; based on what others have seen of "King of Kings" and "Gypsy" on BD, can anyone give a percentage guesstimate as to how much better "The Music Man" would look with an updated transfer? Or is it fine enough, in lieu of other titles being released?

Either way; and once again; my thanks to WAC and their crackerjack team for all of their superb work.

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
The way I remember it The Music Man on Blu-ray had some image stability issues and some scene to scene variations plus it was even back at the time not based on the latest and greatest in technology. BUT: There is no excessive sharpening, noise reduction or pumping up of color saturation with this one so the possible level of improvement is significantly lower compared to what could be gained with a new release of a number of large format movies that fared worse with their Blu-ray release through Warner, so I would be revisiting one of them first.

Or to stay with Technirama how about a Blu-ray release of John Paul Jones which is one of the rarer movies about the American revolution and in such a splendid format. But then I don't want to be greedy - for now I am excited to be getting Auntie Mame!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks