1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Press Release Warner Archive Press Release: V: The Original Miniseries (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ronald Epstein, Jul 16, 2019.

1. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    Yeah, I respect Kenny Johnson a lot, but the whole "I was shooting it in widescreen for a theatrical presentation" always sounds like BS to me when I actually watch the film. He may have framed them in a way that minimized the loss when cropped, but it - does - look odd in some shots.

I am concerned about the aspect ratio, which you pretty much voiced how I feel about it when watching the DVD. I am also a huge fan of the musical score, but I am more of a fan of having the original sound mix as an option. But if the blu ray sound is mixed better than the DVD, which made the new sound effects really loud with the dialog lower, then that's fine honestly.

I still will pass on this release, the picture will bug me no end.

You did point up that vintage SF shows with heavy effects work doesn't really benefit fro HD. Even classic Trek with the TOS-R effects shows too much: Shatner's toupee line, Nimoy's ear seams, and so on. Until fairly recently, production companies hid behind the low res TVs and poor signals. HD takes away that safety net.

The Drifter likes this.
  2. Message #62 of 66 Sep 23, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    The Drifter

The Drifter Supporting Actor

Jim
    To add to my previous post, I watched V: The Mini series on the the regular DVD for the first time last week; it was my first time seeing the series in 25+ years (since the VHS days). Very good remastered picture quality. It was widescreen & the picture took up my entire set, and I didn't notice that too much of the picture (on the top/bottom/sides) had been lost - if any picture was lost, IMHO it was negligible.

(The only problem I had was that the DVD was that it was double-sided, which I don't like because it increases the possibility that one/both sides will get scratched.)

However, it sounds like the Blu is cutting off even more of the picture. So, I'll just stick with the regular DVD.

Agreed. Older SF shows had sub-par effects/prosthetics to begin with, so seeing these on Blu will really make them stand out. And, to add to the above, the limitations of the make-up/prosthetics in the original Planet of the Apes movies (1968-1973) are extremely obvious in HD.

3. Message #63 of 66 Sep 24, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    This is maddening: still don’t have this from my Amazon order. Called today, since it was supposed to be delivered today but hasn’t shipped (after it was supposed to be delivered Aug 21). No help. “It’s a popular preorder and we have to wait to get more in stock.” I don’t have to tell you why that’s bullshit. But I’m enraged that Amazon just tells me things to shut me up and get me off the phone!

FWIW, I cancelled this order with Amazon and ordered from Warner Archive. The few extra dollars are worth the loss of aggravation.

4. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

They're lying; they just have a bad relationship with Warners, is what. That's why all the new Archives take 1-3 months or whatever. Then suddenly they're in stock forever and ever. I pre-ordered mine the day it was available and so got it one day one. Some other stuff just vanished from my cart, got auto-cancelled or back ordered for months and months. I pre-ordered "DC's Legends of Tomorrow" season 4 and got it today (release day) so there's that. But other than that, I pretty much stopped buying Disney and Warners stuff from Amazon.

Sam Favate likes this.
  5. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Perhaps the problem is that they are cropping it all in the center instead of adjusting the framing shot-by-shot.

6. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

If Kenny truly composed this primarily for a cinematic ratio (which I don't believe for a second), then, surely, a centre crop would be all that had to be done. Shot-by-shot is usually more for when you're trying to make something widescreen that wasn't intended to be in the first place. The director surely would do the crop "in the camera", so to speak.