1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Press Release Warner Archive Press Release: V: The Original Miniseries (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ronald Epstein, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Message #1 of 53 Jul 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    66672498_10157527584176563_8643401033550135296_o.

NEW 2019 1080p HD MASTER!

V: THE ORIGINAL MINI-SERIES (1983)
    Run Time 197:00
    Subtitles English SDH
    Sound Quality DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
    Aspect Ratio 1.78:1, 16 X 9 WIDESCREEN (As authorized by the film’s director)
    Product Color COLOR
    Disc Configuration BD 50
    Special Features: Commentary by Writer/Director Kenneth Johnson; Behind-the-Scenes Documentary.

Fifty spaceships, each three miles across, hover ominously above Earth’s major cities. The Visitors that emerge are humanlike in appearance and extend the hand of friendship. Our planet’s resources are just what these aliens need to survive. And for its future survival, unsuspecting humankind will need… a miracle! Kenneth Johnson's science-fiction spectacular V mixes dynamic special effects with cliffhanger thrills. As fascist rule enslaves the globe, freedom fighters battle to save our species. Marc Singer heads an epic-sized cast of human defenders and — behind sleek uniforms and benevolent behavior — reptilian invaders. For unparalled extraterrestrial excitement, the invaders of V are unstoppable.

The price link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

2. David Weicker

David Weicker Producer

David
    I will purchase this, but I am disappointed that the Original Aspect is not also included.

Rodney likes this.
  3. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

Sorry, but no OAR (and no original sound mix), no sale. I can understand including Johnson's 'approved' version, but a second disc with the OAR and original sound mix as a bonus would have been a fair compromise. As much as I like Kenny Johnson as a person, this is all a little bit George Lucasy...

Brian Himes and ScottRE like this.
  4. Message #4 of 53 Jul 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    I am in total agreement. There was no effort put into this. Even the bland art is still the same. Hard pass. Which sucks because I am a HUGE fan of V. From mini series to subpar weekly.

5. Rodney

Rodney Screenwriter
    Supporter

What would have been a for sure purchase had they offered both aspect ratio's now has me pondering whether to buy or not. Definitely not first day, maybe, maybe not on a sale day.

6. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    Eh...I'm perfectly fine with the 16x9 version, especially since the 4x3 version was never entirely definitive itself either (visible boom-mics dropping into shots, etc.). Johnson framed for both aspect-ratios, and the previous DVD looked great in terms of composition, with added details visible on the sides of the framing that aren't present in the 1:33.1 version.

B-ROLL, Jimbo64 and Blimpoy06 like this.
  7. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    I'd be more on board with the 16:9 if the sound mix had the original as an option.

8. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

Anybody still got their off-TV recordings to confirm if the visible boom mics were visible at the time? I'm just wondering if later releases showed more area (i.e. overscan) that got revealed in the later VHS and Laser releases.

9. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    Well, I have the VHS released from WB and Columbia House. Tell me where they were and I'll check...

10. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    Bill Hunt today on Twitter:

[​IMG]

FrankPitt and Josh Steinberg like this.
  11. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I don't always agree with Bill, and I think he's late to the party in this realization, but he's right.

We're very near the endgame for physical media.

Studios have heard feedback for years with requests for certain titles on disc. If consumers don't buy them (as is their right, of course, don't pay for what you don't want), the studio is not going to get the message the consumer might think they're sending. The studio won't see low sales and think "Gosh, we should have put it out in a different aspect ratio." They will see the low sales and think, "There really isn't an audience for content on disc anymore."

Sam Favate and joshEH like this.
  12. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    Ugh. I can't disagree, but damn...

Ron1973 likes this.
  13. PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    :angry:...:mellow:...:(

14. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    I confess that I barely remember this series from when it aired, but I do recall I liked it.

As such, I will gladly buy the blu-ray. I really don't care that much about the aspect ratio. The way I see it is this: Studios want to future-proof their catalogs, so that they can run on every streaming service under the sun, and to do that they have to be 1) in high definition and 2) widescreen.

Sure, home theater enthusiasts like us would prefer to see the original aspect always preserved, but we're watching these things on our 40-50-60 inch screens. The future of the industry is for people to watch anywhere, which mostly means on their phones and tablets. It still seems stupid to me to watch a movie or a show on your phone, but so many people do it. And having a widescreen presentation is much better for phone viewing.

I'm just glad they're still releasing older material. I will gladly support it and encourage them to keep doing so.

15. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    This was definitely framed with international theatrical in mind i’ll Pick it up
    And I unfortunately agree with bill. I’m going to hug my collection and plex server now

joshEH, Jimbo64 and Randy Korstick like this.
  16. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

As big studios will abandon physical, more niche hobbyist boutique labels will pop up producing more BD. I buy almost all my catalog titles from Twilight Time, Criterion, and a ton from KL...and many labels beside. there have been so many titles I want to purchase in the last couple years, I can't even keep up.

It will be a shame to have to buy all newly released movies digital only, but for older catalog titles which is my main interest anyway, I think I will be good. When studios stop licensing out their films that is when the trouble starts.

17. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Normally I would not like an older TV production like this cropped for widescreen but that isn't the case here. It really isn't cropped it was protected or framed with 1.78:1 in mind for a European theatrical release. So one could argue 1.78:1 is the original aspect ratio. When the widescreen DVD came out there were comparisons done with the earlier full frame VHS/Laserdisc release and the Widescreen version revealed some extra information on the sides not seen in the full frame version and the loss at top and bottom was usually dead space since it was protected for widescreen.

joshEH likes this.
  18. Worth

Worth Cinematographer

Nick Dobbs
    Pretty much anything shot for television prior to the HD era was framed with major overscan in mind, so there's quite a bit of wiggle room to allow for both decent looking 4:3 and 16:9 versions.

B-ROLL, joshEH and Mark-P like this.
  19. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    I agree. This is a bit George Lucasy for my taste.I'm not sure if I'm going to get this or not yet. I'd like to upgrade to single sided disc but the lack of OAR and sound mix is bothersome.

I wish I could disagree with this but it's been on the horizon for a while now. I guess I just need to look at my collection and relish it.

20. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    Case in point: I mentioned in the "What Did You Watch This Week" thread about someone uploading a great assortment of Hee Haw from the 1979-80 era to YouTube. Along came some idiot demanding to know why they weren't in widescreen! I replied nicely that the content provider had uploaded them the way they should be watched, 4x3, and it they were presented in widescreen, they wouldn't look correct and be stretched out of shape. Oh, no, that didn't suffice. He told me other users had uploaded it in widescreen and how great it looked! I didn't bother to continue the conversation. Yeah, I watch a lot of 4x3 content on my hi-def TV. I understand there will be black bars on the side. I'm not bothered in the least, but I guess I'm in the minority. The mentality seems to be because they have 55" of screen that they should fill it all. :huh::eek::angry::unsure::wacko:

Gary16 likes this.