What's new

Warner Archive Press Release: V: The Final Battle (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 11.03.37 AM.png

New 2020 1080p HD master!
V: THE FINAL BATTLE (1983)
Run Time 267:00
Subtitles English SDH
Audio Specs MONO - English, DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
Aspect Ratio 1.33:1, 4 X 3 FULL FRAME
Product Color COLOR
Disc Configuration BD 50, BD 25

Is there life out there? Finally, we know. Because they are here. Alien spacecraft with humanlike passengers have come to Earth. They say they come in peace for food and water. The water they find in our reservoirs. The food they find walking about everywhere on two legs.

That saga that began with V now culminates in a struggle to save the world in V: The Final Battle. Sci-fi film stalwarts Marc Singer, Robert Englund and Michael Ironside head a large cast in this tense adventure that leaps from the stunning revelation of reptilian beings concealed by human masks to the birth of the first human/alien child to the harrowing countdown to nuclear doomsday. The future begins or ends here.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Glad to see this coming so soon. I suspect the season of the TV show won't be that far behind.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Glad to see this coming so soon. I suspect the season of the TV show won't be that far behind.

They should re-unite the cast to do a table read of the unfilmed final episode, kind of like they did on the "Lost in Space" blu-ray. This won't happen, but I do have a lot of pipe dreams.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I would be stoked if the Final Battle had the NBC recaps, They were mini-movies by themselves. I have them off YouTube and they were in the 1987 syndicated runs, but never on official video.

I'd also be stoked to have the whole series on Blu Ray, with commercial breaks restored and the "last time on V" recaps.

They should re-unite the cast to do a table read of the unfilmed final episode, kind of like they did on the "Lost in Space" blu-ray. This won't happen, but I do have a lot of pipe dreams.

The "final episode" wasn't - to my knowledge - a fonalized script. It didn't close anything out, in fact it introduce a new direction for the series. With a talking car...

http://vicki_98.tripod.com/episodes/attack.htm

Honestly, the final aired episode works really well as a finale: the Leader calls for peace, Elizabeth goes with him to unite both races and Kyle stows away to be with her. The only actual dangling thread is Diana's planted bomb. Cut that line out and we're all good.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
It wasn't; the show had the usual 13 episode order at the beginning of the season. The budget made it the most expensive show on television, but the ratings were middling. However, they were still granted the back 9, with the caveat that they reel in the budget. (I don't blame the ratings. The fall episodes were fine; pretty much what the show should have been as a weekly. There's a handful of very good episodes in that first run. But it didn't help that they scheduled it against Dallas during most of its life, which was usually the #1 or #2 rated show, battling it out with Dynasty at the time).

When V started airing its Back 9 eps with the reduced budget, the ratings sunk even lower. Probably because they'd fired half the cast and turned in some lousy, quick scripts, frankly. And most of them were cheap "bottle" episodes. If you notice, the first Back 9 ep was a "bottle" episode in which the human woman is trapped in an abandoned building, about to give birth while the Visitors are trying to get at them. Then you have the same...exact...plot a couple weeks later, this time with a Visitor woman about to give birth in an abandoned building. Fan weren't having it...they sensed the cheapness and repetition and annoying stock footage and started tuning out. Good for Dallas.

V was not cancelled during the 19th show as most people think; it was put on hiatus for a little retooling. The hiatus was called when "The Return" was actually in mid-production. Cast and crew were told to finish out the episode and don't worry, they'd be back in a few weeks and wrap up the next 3 hours and Faye Grant was told she'd be let go as she'd been begging since the beginning (she really didn't want to do the weekly show).

The matter was reported at the time by TV Guide, but the final three shows never came to be.

NBC's mandate was for V to come up with a clear, new direction that would be cost-efficient yet pleasing to the viewership, rather than just the rambling from place to place with no clear purpose, as we'd been seeing in the Back 9 eps. The premise following "The Attack" was intended to refresh the show in that way, but NBC wasn't pleased with the ideas and decided to cut its losses.

sjbradford

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
sjbradford
I would be stoked if the Final Battle had the NBC recaps, They were mini-movies by themselves. I have them off YouTube and they were in the 1987 syndicated runs, but never on official video.

“There will be one last chance to save Julie from the conversion chamber!”

Cast and crew were told to finish out the episode and don't worry, they'd be back in a few weeks and wrap up the next 3 hours and Faye Grant was told she'd be let go as she'd been begging since the beginning (she really didn't want to do the weekly show).

I’m glad it didn’t continue - killing off Julie (as was being reported) would have ruined the whole thing for me.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
It wasn't; the show had the usual 13 episode order at the beginning of the season. The budget made it the most expensive show on television, but the ratings were middling. However, they were still granted the back 9, with the caveat that they reel in the budget. I don't blame the ratings. The fall episodes were fine; pretty much what the show should have been as a weekly.

Where did this budget go? There were maybe two new shots of skyfighters, some composite shots of flyng ships here and there, and that really nice shot of the fleet by the moon at the end of Liberation Day. After that, it was stock footage, the obligatory (and sometimes gratuitous) face ripping scenes and laser blasts. Sets and costumes were mostly carried over from the mini-series (some new outfits were made, but not a lot), there were the same old laser rifles, the Resistance had typical 80's macho firearms from Earth (why they didn't start collecting fallen Visitor weapons always bugged me) and the Visitors resorted to jeeps and motorcycles. For all of it's much-vaunted expense, the series looked cheap. After the first few episodes, it felt cheap. The main draw for me were the cast (which was mostly excellent) and the astounding music by Dennis McCarthy. I loved the actors and when V was cancelled and Marc Singer moved over to Dallas, looking just like Mike Donovan and easily as likable, I couldn't accept it.

There's a handful of very good episodes in that first run. But it didn't help that they scheduled it against Dallas during most of its life, which was usually the #1 or #2 rated show, battling it out with Dynasty at the time.

The episodes where they were in the Casablanca world of an open city were really great for the most part, considering they aimed more toward kids than Ken Johnson did (yet the series remained surprisingly violent and cold-blooded). However, even The Final Battle showed signs of that change. The first episodes felt more like extensions of that vision than Johnson's.

V made the time slot switch against Dallas right after The Betrayal aired. We only had one VCR in the house back then and it was my sister's. I was taping every episode of V and then she'd grab Dallas. As soon as V moved, I was overruled. My episodes stopped at The Betrayal and the only reason I was able to record The Return was because Dallas was pre-empted that night. When V went into summer reruns, I was able to grab the unaired Breakout but they didn't run the whole series, so I didn't get the remaining episodes until I bought them from a collector in really crummy quality. So, the first 17 had a chance on its own up against the final season of The Dukes of Hazzard, explaining why I didn't see any of those final season episodes first run, That show ended as V made their switch to 9 pm.

I was absolutely, utterly obsessed with this series when it was on, and for the next few years after it was cancelled. It didn't get a full rerun until the Sci-Fi Channel ran it and then I grabbed every VHS video release it got (WB sell through VHS for the two mini-series and Columbia House for the series - finally the DVDs).

Anyway, this brings back fond memories...

Last edited:

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
It cost $1 million per week in the Fall. As to why the money is not on the screen, I expect that some at the top were taking mighty big checks.

I mean, if they'd just bought some new aerial footage to superimpose behind the fighters footage they already had, it would have helped immeasurably; the footage was nauseatingly ripped repeatedly from the superior original mini.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
It cost $1 million per week in the Fall. As to why the money is not on the screen, I expect that some at the top were taking mighty big checks.

I mean, if they'd just bought some new aerial footage to superimpose behind the fighters footage they already had, it would have helped immeasurably; the footage was nauseatingly ripped repeatedly from the superior original mini.

To my recollection, they did that one time for The Dissident. When Donovan and Tyler grabbed Galen from the mothership, the ensuing chase used the original mini-series skyfighter persuit over new aerial footage. And okay episode with Donovan and Tyler walking into the ship and all the way to where Diana was torturing Galen with ludicrous ease. "We're gonna raid Diana's little playpen," Donovan says, as if they're planning to go food shopping. They never even mentoned Fifth Column help. If it were that easy for two dudes to get that far, why didn't they try this like the first day?

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
the Resistance had typical 80's macho firearms from Earth (why they didn't start collecting fallen Visitor weapons always bugged me)

Me, too, but the reason was that (according to an interview with one of the producers at the time), they said that the laserblasts were expensive enough to produce (this was before doing them as digital FX) that they were "counting" how many laserblasts they could have per episode. I'm sure that's why some were just sound FX and for sure is the reason that the resistance fighters almost never had a Visitor weapon.

I can't remember if the interview was in Enterprise Incidents or TV Guide, but I think they were saying each animated laserblast was about $800-900.

Cost was also one of the stated reasons that they did away with the voice reverberation on the aliens (and was convenient when Donovan and Julie had to sneak aboard the mothership later in the season).

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I can't remember if the interview was in Enterprise Incidents or TV Guide, but I think they were saying each animated laserblast was about $800-900.

I remember in the OM commentary, Johnson would repeatedly say “$1000” each time there was a laser blast.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Me, too, but the reason was that (according to an interview with one of the producers at the time), they said that the laserblasts were expensive enough to produce (this was before doing them as digital FX) that they were "counting" how many laserblasts they could have per episode. I'm sure that's why some were just sound FX and for sure is the reason that the resistance fighters almost never had a Visitor weapon.

Yeah, I figured that. It would have been nice to have at least one on-screen explanation: the lasers were coded to only work on visitor DNA prints or some such BS. That would just leave why Willy didn't use one (bad shot, pacifism, whatever).

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I figured that. It would have been nice to have at least one on-screen explanation: the lasers were coded to only work on visitor DNA prints or some such BS. That would just leave why Willy didn't use one (bad shot, pacifism, whatever).

Just like with the lack of voice modulation, they decided just to ignore it rather than have some sort of in-universe explanation. That seems to be the way a lot of vintage TV shows did things... just ignore certain changes and assume (or hope) the viewers didn't notice or care. Y'know, like Chuck on Happy Days!

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Just like with the lack of voice modulation, they decided just to ignore it rather than have some sort of in-universe explanation. That seems to be the way a lot of vintage TV shows did things... just ignore certain changes and assume (or hope) the viewers didn't notice or care. Y'know, like Chuck on Happy Days!

when I first became apparent that the voice reverb was 86ed, I lost a lot of hope for the series.

also killing off Martin in the first episode (at least the show runners kind of realized their mistake and essentially brought him back as his “brother” with identical skinsuit, Philip)

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Has anyone picked this up? I finally got a copy this week. The picture is...well...washed out. The colors aren't even as vibrant as the earlier DVD. I'm happy to have this in its original aspect ratio and all, but I'm a little disappointed.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone picked this up? I finally got a copy this week. The picture is...well...washed out. The colors aren't even as vibrant as the earlier DVD. I'm happy to have this in its original aspect ratio and all, but I'm a little disappointed.

Maybe they didn't remaster it, and just used the old 4:3 VHS/laserdisc transfer from the mid-'90s?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lamywaby
Recent bookmarks