What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Press Release: The Yearling (1946) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
year.jpg

THE YEARLING (1946) New 2021 1080p HD Master sourced from 4k scan of Original Technicolor Negative!
Run Time 128:00
Subtitles English SDH
Audio Specs DTS HD-Master Audio 1.0 - English
Aspect Ratio 1.37:1, 4x3 FULL FRAME
Product Color COLOR
Disc Configuration BD 50
SPECIAL FEATURES: Screen Guild Players Radio Broadcast; Cartoon Cat Concerto; Theatrical Trailer

Life abounds in the 1870s Florida scrubland that’s home to young Jody Baxter. There are bears to hunt, cash crops to plant, evenings of storytelling with Pa and Ma. And there are timeless lessons of love and letting go that Jody learns from Flag, the orphaned pet fawn that follows him around with devotion. From Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings’ Pulitzer Prize-winning novel, and sensitively directed by Clarence Brown (National Velvet), The Yearling is superb family entertainment that knows well what a shiny harmonica means to a lonely boy or what a six-day rain means to hard-luck farmers. Gregory Peck, Jane Wyman and Claude Jarman, Jr. play the Baxters in a resplendent film nominated for seven Academy Awards® and the winner of two, plus a Special Award for the year’s Outstanding Child Actor to young Jarman.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This one always leaves me teary eyed. Definitely needed a new transfer which is why I imagine it took so long to get a blu release.
Yup, that's two Technicolor movies so far in May and they should look beautiful. It's too bad "Escape from Fort Bravo" isn't in Technicolor instead of that less attractive Anscocolor.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I believe The Yearling and National Velvet were among the MGM Technicolor titles that were in the worst shape. I don't know where I read that information, some film niche magazine more than likely, but I'm glad to see this one coming to us at long last on Blu-ray.

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
This one always leaves me teary eyed. Definitely needed a new transfer which is why I imagine it took so long to get a blu release.
I can relate. I first saw it on the big screen as part of MGM's Children's Matinee reissue series in the early 70s. Beautiful film and a day one purchase for me.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I can relate. I first saw it on the big screen as part of MGM's Children's Matinee reissue series in the early 70s. Beautiful film and a day one purchase for me.
Me also ... A recent interview of Mr. Jarman is included in the Olive Signature blu-ray of Rio Grande

1617663831778.png
:cool:.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
It's too bad the archive doesn't do Bonus features... I would have loved to hear an interview with Jarman about this film and his Oscar win.

• Agreed
Reactions: PMF

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
Day 1 purchase for me.
I am disappointed they are only including the SCREEN GUILD radio play.

It was also produced on LUX RADIO THEATER with Peck, Wyman, and Jarman recreating their roles.

chrislong2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
I believe The Yearling and National Velvet were among the MGM Technicolor titles that were in the worst shape. I don't know where I read that information, some film niche magazine more than likely, but I'm glad to see this one coming to us at long last on Blu-ray.
Let's hope that means National Velvet is coming soon also. There are certain films that I just can't fathom why they haven't been released on Blu yet and both of these (esp Velvet) were two of them. I seem to recall reading many years ago that Warner maybe indicated the cost to restore National Velvet was prohibitive (in line with what you are saying) but a lot seems to have changed since then with the technologies/process they are using, so I'm hoping that the release of Yearling is a sign they may finally be tackling some of these glaring omissions.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Let's hope that means National Velvet is coming soon also. There are certain films that I just can't fathom why they haven't been released on Blu yet and both of these (esp Velvet) were two of them. I seem to recall reading many years ago that Warner maybe indicated the cost to restore National Velvet was prohibitive (in line with what you are saying) but a lot seems to have changed since then with the technologies/process they are using, so I'm hoping that the release of Yearling is a sign they may finally be tackling some of these glaring omissions.

I can’t remember the exact remark, but in one of the last podcasts, George Feltenstein said something about National Velvet which implied that a restored version of the film was a strong possibility.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I recently submitted a question to the WAC Podcast asking whether NATIONAL VELVET was in the pipeline. It came in while they were recording an episode and George said “I wouldn’t say no!” Sounds promising to me!

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
It's too bad the archive doesn't do Bonus features... I would have loved to hear an interview with Jarman about this film and his Oscar win.
that depends on the release, a trailer and commentary are good enough for some, this on the other hand has the following

SPECIAL FEATURES: Screen Guild Players Radio Broadcast; Cartoon Cat Concerto; Theatrical Trailer

straight from the press release

and I for one am happy that we are still getting "physical" releases

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks