What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Press Release: The Tender Trap (1955) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1617671311409.png

THE TENDER TRAP (1955) New 2021 1080p HD Master sourced from 4k scan of Original Camera Negative!

Run Time 111:00
Subtitles English SDH
Audio Specs DTS HD-Master Audio 5.1 - English
Aspect Ratio 16 X 9 Letterbox, 2.55:1
Product Color COLOR
Disc Configuration BD 50
Special Features: "Frank in the Fifties" featurette; Excerpt from THE MGM PARADE (Ep. 7) featuring Debbie Reynolds; Excerpt from THE MGM PARADE (Ep. 8) featuring Debbie Reynolds; Theatrical Trailer.

Frank Sinatra and Debbie Reynolds star as a pair of romantic opposites in this romance classic. Fun-loving, free-spirited Manhattan talent agent and playboy Charlie Reader (Sinatra) is happy playing the field when he becomes the target of the far more formidable Julie Gillis (Reynolds) who is on a one-woman mission of matrimony. She has her life mapped out in details that fall just shy of where the wedding portrait will hang and the number of goldfish swimming in the bowl. Julie even knows she’ll be married next March 12. She just doesn’t know to whom. But it’s a cinch he’ll have blue eyes. 16x9 Letterbox

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited by a moderator:

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I'm getting it. It was maybe the second Cinemascope film I saw - after The High and the Mighty. Amusingly, it's one of the few times my memory has been wrong about where I saw what - I was positive I saw both at the Village Theater in Westwood - I had the Westwood right, but neither film played there, they both played the Picwood. I remember sitting there and being awed by Sinatra singing and doing the long walk with the blue sky behind him.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yeah, I'll be buying it, & I've never seen it, but it's Sinatra, & a CinemaScope fifties US world that I could only dream about in rainy fifties London (not that I was remotely old enough to see it then). I'm too young to love Sinatra the singer, but I always loved him in films. I have to recommend the huge two volume biography of Frank Sinatra by James Kaplan, what a great read, & a subject worth every book written about him.

Justin Ray

Second Unit
Real Name
Justin Ray
Sinatra, Reynolds, Wayne, and Holm- what's not to love? Not sure I love the new cover art, but it's at least a replica of an original poster/lobby card. I am wondering, however, why they couldn't find space for poor Carolyn Jones! It's a minor thing, I know,... guess I'm just weird :biggrin:

Attachments

• tendertrap.jpg
    tendertrap.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 94

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
My impression is that Reynolds plays a Venus flytrap, a disagreeable calculating mantrap. I've never understood why Sinatra would fall for such a woman. Celeste Holm is her usual, glorious self. I'd take her any day over Reynolds (at least in this film).

cinemel1

Second Unit
Real Name
Mel Matsil
Whenever a new Sinatra blu-ray is released it’s on my buy list. Sinatra even sings the title song and it’s wonderfully reprised by the cast at the end. Celeste Holm is always a delight. Frank’s character would have been better off with Celeste. She was also terrific in High Society. Let’s see that in blu-ray (or better 4K) with the great VistaVision and stereo sound.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
My impression is that Reynolds plays a Venus flytrap, a disagreeable calculating mantrap. I've never understood why Sinatra would fall for such a woman. Celeste Holm is her usual, glorious self. I'd take her any day over Reynolds (at least in this film).
I agree. For me the character played by Debbie Reynolds is silly and irritating, and that weakens the movie. There's great comedy potential in a romantic conflict between a predatory playboy and a strong-willed woman who values her virtue (Rock Hudson and Doris Day?) but the writer must make the woman warm, likable and modest.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

M90GM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JUSTIN
View attachment 94125

THE TENDER TRAP (1955) New 2021 1080p HD Master sourced from 4k scan of Original Camera Negative!

Run Time 111:00
Subtitles English SDH
Audio Specs DTS HD-Master Audio 5.1 - English
Aspect Ratio 16 X 9 Letterbox, 2.55:1
Product Color COLOR
Disc Configuration BD 50
Special Features: "Frank in the Fifties" featurette; Excerpt from THE MGM PARADE (Ep. 7) featuring Debbie Reynolds; Excerpt from THE MGM PARADE (Ep. 8) featuring Debbie Reynolds; Theatrical Trailer.

Frank Sinatra and Debbie Reynolds star as a pair of romantic opposites in this romance classic. Fun-loving, free-spirited Manhattan talent agent and playboy Charlie Reader (Sinatra) is happy playing the field when he becomes the target of the far more formidable Julie Gillis (Reynolds) who is on a one-woman mission of matrimony. She has her life mapped out in details that fall just shy of where the wedding portrait will hang and the number of goldfish swimming in the bowl. Julie even knows she’ll be married next March 12. She just doesn’t know to whom. But it’s a cinch he’ll have blue eyes. 16x9 Letterbox
YES!!! some great MGM "hit" films are starting to flow. We need sales to assure us of more to come....

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Rainy 50s London? You have no idea how jealous I am. I can't imagine any place more romantic.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Yeah, I'll be buying it, & I've never seen it, but it's Sinatra, & a CinemaScope fifties US world that I could only dream about in rainy fifties London (not that I was remotely old enough to see it then). I'm too young to love Sinatra the singer, but I always loved him in films. I have to recommend the huge two volume biography of Frank Sinatra by James Kaplan, what a great read, & a subject worth every book written about him.
Going to one of the great London cinemas(before Thatcherism destroyed the city patina and the skyline) to see a MGM movie on a rainy afternoon... A great place and time to be going to the movies. And just thinking of the West End theater boggles the mind. The great romance of simply the act of going to the movies is lost forever.

Last edited:

M90GM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JUSTIN
Whenever a new Sinatra blu-ray is released it’s on my buy list. Sinatra even sings the title song and it’s wonderfully reprised by the cast at the end. Celeste Holm is always a delight. Frank’s character would have been better off with Celeste. She was also terrific in High Society. Let’s see that in blu-ray (or better 4K) with the great VistaVision and stereo sound.
yes, why haven't Warner released High Society in the "glory" of BD instead of so much unknown b grade short old B/W films

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
yes, why haven't Warner released High Society in the "glory" of BD instead of so much unknown b grade short old B/W films
High Society is a holy grail title for me, however, it's been mentioned a number of times over the years on various threads throughout HTF that the elements for it are troublesome and would require a great deal of expense to create a HD master for Blu-ray.

Hopefully, that changes since they said the same thing about Seven Brides for Seven Brothers and we have that on Blu-ray now, plus digital tools for restoration keep improving which keep costs lower.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.