What's new

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
We will. Just a matter of time.

Warner Archive has not updated any of their digital transfers since the beginning of the program back in 2009. That's quite a bit of time to have already waited, don't you think?

Last edited:

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
With the latest Warner Corporate announcement of everything going to streaming, we'll see how long the Archive will be permitted to hold out. Just sayin.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
With the latest Warner Corporate announcement of everything going to streaming, we'll see how long the Archive will be permitted to hold out. Just sayin.
I don't see how that announcement changes anything as long as the streams on HBO Max are derived from the new masters.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I don't see how that announcement changes anything as long as the streams on HBO Max are derived from the new masters.

Your right. Warner is remastering the titles and releasing a blu-ray is just another money stream for them, however small it may be.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
Sadly, AT&T seems pretty clueless about running an entertainment company so far. While both TCM and Warner Archive are in-house sources of quality material suitable for HBO Max. nothing would surprise me. The fact that less than half of existing HBO subscribers have signed up for HBO Max, even though they would get it for free, is telling.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sadly, AT&T seems pretty clueless about running an entertainment company so far. While both TCM and Warner Archive are in-house sources of quality material suitable for HBO Max. nothing would surprise me. The fact that less than half of existing HBO subscribers have signed up for HBO Max, even though they would get it for free, is telling.
AT&T beside, I think it tells us that some people are either ignorant of getting HBO Max free with their HBO subscription or they're not interested in streaming.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Hey, I would love to watch HBO Max, but I have a Roku

so don’t go blaming AT&T subscribers

And by the way, what the hell does this conversation have to do with The Shop Around The Corner Blu-Ray? Shouldn’t it be in a Streaming Forum?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Hey, I would love to watch HBO Max, but I have a Roku

so don’t go blaming AT&T subscribers

And by the way, what the hell does this conversation have to do with The Shop Around The Corner Blu-Ray? Shouldn’t it be in a Streaming Forum?
Yet, you made your own streaming comment.;)

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
I was not blaming AT&T subscribers, I was blaming AT&T who bought Warner.

But you both support my comment about AT&T, since they have been inept at marketing HBO Max. I know they haven't worked out a deal with Roku, and getting the service through Comcast/Xfinity is still "pending".

I also think part of the confusion is the name. Between HBO Go, HBO Now, and HBO Max, I suspect some people have given up trying to keep up. They should follow Paramount's lead with CBS All Access and rename their product Warner+.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I was not blaming AT&T subscribers, I was blaming AT&T who bought Warner.

But you both support my comment about AT&T, since they have been inept at marketing HBO Max. I know they haven't worked out a deal with Roku, and getting the service through Comcast/Xfinity is still "pending".

I also think part of the confusion is the name. Between HBO Go, HBO Now, and HBO Max, I suspect some people have given up trying to keep up. They should follow Paramount's lead with CBS All Access and rename their product Warner+.
I never said otherwise! Anyhow, let's get back to "Shop Around the Corner" Blu-ray that's coming out next Tuesday.:)

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
I never said otherwise! Anyhow, let's get back to "Shop Around the Corner" Blu-ray that's coming out next Tuesday.:)
I know, I was referring to Mr. Weicker's comment.

But to get this back on track, I did sample "Shop" on HBO Max last night, and it does indeed look stunning. I am very much looking forward to replacing my DVD with this Blu-Ray.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I do not pre-order titles very often anymore, but I did order this one. The price wasn't too bad, and I was in the mood to see it for the holidays.

I always thought this film would make for a great drinking game, though. You have to take a drink every time one of the characters says "Mr. Matuschek". :laugh:

RPMay

Agent
Real Name
Dick May
On one of the Warner Archives podcasts Feltestein (spelling?) mentions that MGM destroyed all their negatives from their black and white films afer they made the protection masters. He mentions this in the podcast talking about PRIDE AND PREJUDICE. Not sure if he meant every single one, but that is certainly what he says so this is the best they are ever going to be - and so far they have been very good.
I can confirm that the original negative of SHOP AROUND THE CORNER does exist. Many years ago, shortly after MGM arranged to deposit their surviving nitrate negatives with George Eastman House, a memo was circulated listing a large number of titles that had been destroyed. The MGM library inventory noted this, when in fact these negatives have been in proper storage at what is now the Eastman House Museum. It is probable that the protection elements referred to were those which we made from the originals in the early 2000s.
At that time I was VP-Film Preservation at Warner Bros., and was the person who initiated making new protection fine grains when it was confirmed that the negatives were at GEH.

Richard May

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It looks like this BD release is really popular as my order from BB has been cancelled and it's out of stock at DD. Amazon has it, but for $21.99. I can wait as it's on HBO Max.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It looks like this BD release is really popular as my order from BB has been cancelled and it's out of stock at DD. Amazon has it, but for $21.99. I can wait as it's on HBO Max.
Right there with you. My order was also cancelled, and I can also wait. I watched it last month on HBO Max and it looked great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks