What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Press Release: The Set-Up (1949) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Mark VH

Second Unit
How you spend your monies is your business, but I was just pointing out that you considered this a "terrific" film and that the DVD is 15 years old from a video transfer that might be closer to 20 years old. Also, to remind other people that it's been a good while since the DVD came out.

Sure, I get it. As I said, I’m sure it’ll look great. But so did the DVD, older transfer or not, and it’s not like it’s a new restoration or anything, just a remaster. The dirty little secret about some of these Warner Archive blus that some folks are reticent to admit is that they don’t look THAT much better than their DVD counterparts. Some are just a marginal upgrade. And if some folks are good with dropping another 20 bones on that, then good on them. A man must have a code.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sure, I get it. As I said, I’m sure it’ll look great. But so did the DVD, older transfer or not, and it’s not like it’s a new restoration or anything, just a remaster. The dirty little secret about some of these Warner Archive blus that some folks are reticent to admit is that they don’t look THAT much better than their DVD counterparts. Some are just a marginal upgrade. And if some folks are good with dropping another 20 bones on that, then good on them. A man must have a code.
Well, I guess you and i just disagree then on that assertion.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I watched this disc last night. An excellent Blu-ray that presents the film far better than I've ever seen it before. I'm very pleased. Is there a review of this disc here at HTF?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I watched this disc last night. An excellent Blu-ray that presents the film far better than I've ever seen it before. I'm very pleased. Is there a review of this disc here at HTF?
Unfortunately, we never reviewed this Blu-ray here, though, I did a quasi review in this post. This is a Blu-ray review from a movie critic that I respect quite a lot.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Anyone that does not own this -- buy it!

I bought it blindly thanks to the RCR!

Great film with edge-of-your-seat boxing sequences.

Really loved this film!

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Anyone that does not own this -- buy it!

I bought it blindly thanks to the RCR!

Great film with edge-of-your-seat boxing sequences.

Really loved this film!
Right on, Ron! I had this in DVD from the original Warner Noir set that also included GUN CRAZY & OUT OF THE PAST. I tried to watch it a few months ago but had trouble--not because of the film itself, which is an edge of your seat compulsive watch if there ever was one--but due to the low resolution. And then Warner announced this was being released. It not only looks perfect, but finally the quality of the direction and acting is matched by the photography.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Right on, Ron! I had this in DVD from the original Warner Noir set that also included GUN CRAZY & OUT OF THE PAST. I tried to watch it a few months ago but had trouble--not because of the film itself, which is an edge of your seat compulsive watch if there ever was one--but due to the low resolution. And then Warner announced this was being released. It not only looks perfect, but finally the quality of the direction and acting is matched by the photography.
James Wong Howe, a former boxer did his usual excellent job as cinematographer on this film.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Another boxing movie I highly recommend is "Body and Soul" (1947) that's been released on Blu-ray by Olive.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
My favorite fight film from that era is Champion, but because the main character (Midge Kelly played by Kirk Douglas) doesn't find redemption by the end of the film (he's the very definition of an antihero), it's never been as popular as Body and Soul or The Set-Up. But I think it's a tougher, grittier film than the others.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
My favorite fight film from that era is Champion, but because the main character (Midge Kelly played by Kirk Douglas) doesn't find redemption by the end of the film (he's the very definition of an antihero), it's never been as popular as Body and Soul or The Set-Up. But I think it's a tougher, grittier film than the others.
Champion is my Favorite Boxing film. I wish it would get a Restoration. Olive's Blu-ray is good, but needs Much cleaning up.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Being tougher and grittier doesn't necessarily mean it's a better film in my opinion. Furthermore, "Champion" was directed by a person that wanted boxing banned.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks