What's new

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
The New York Times Review ---- about the film and the stunning Technicolor work with stunning Technicolor camera work, has created several memorable and beautiful sequences. It is a good film, one well worth seeing; how much better it might have been with an Essex worthy of Miss Davis's Elizabeth we can only surmise

1939 Review! Funny the snobbery of the times reviewer - Flynn was a natural Davis admitted years later! Seems Bette Davis read the Times review for her then opinion of Flynn!

It's odd that's a review without a byline. It's either an anonymous Bosley Crowther being his usual charming self or a staffer trying to emulate his bitchy style!

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

ScottHM

Premium
Real Name
Scott
I'm also old enough to have seen many, many Technicolor prints in cinemas in the 1940s and can remember the bright "lollypop" colors of, especially, Fox and MGM musicals.
That's a very impressive memory, given that 1949 was 72 years ago.
---------------

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
---------------
Memory, especially color memory, is an interesting thing. I recall zero color memory re films from my youth, and sometimes confuse color with black and white.

My more cohesive cinema color memory begins in the late ‘50s, early ‘60s in a general sense. Dye transfer memories of Ten Commandments, N x NW, Vertigo, Tom Jones, et al.

Professionally, I never trust my color memory, and always use approved color reference.

OLDTIMER

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ken S-B
---------------
I really do remember the bright colors from the (late) 40s. (I was born in 1935.) I recall wondering in the cinema why the women's lipstick in those musicals was so red for instance. I have another advantage. During my 35mm film collecting days (circa 1965 to 1985) I projected many color nitrate prints from the 40s which may have reinforced my memory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
narkeshubneha