Shelley ...
1617849753175.png
:cool:

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Me too. I think this one and Escape me Never are the only 2 I don't like of his.
I blind-bought a Flynn DVD from Warner Archive that I did not care a lot for called Another Dawn. Looking back on it, it is kind of fun in that it is the sort of romantic love triangle movie that is often satirized in movies in which two men love the same woman and one makes a "noble sacrifice".

I think of Elizabeth & Essex as the Warner 1930's version of the sort of movies that Anne of the Thousand Days and Mary, Queen of Scots were. It's really Bette Davis' vehicle, but having Flynn as Essex brings instant recognition to Essex and establishes him as a dashing hero just because of Flynn's presence.

I find Elizabeth and her times fascinating. I especially love the British TV series Glenda Jackson did in the 1970s.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The film is based on Maxwell Anderson's verse play Elizabeth the Queen and I believe much of the dialogue in the screenplay stayed true to Anderson. Not quite Errol Flynn's cup of tea, I wouldn't think. But he's so handsome and dashing that it's easy to see why he made Elizabeth weak in the knees. Of all the movie and TV versions of this story, I do think Errol made for the handsomest Essex.

noel aguirre

Premium
Real Name
noel
For a second there I thought it might be the other Elizabeth one in black &white- I’ve never seen this one. This looks a feast for the eyes if nothing else. I recently saw Old Maid on TCM and that was simply amazing- had never heard of it. And then I saw her and Joan in an old WW2 propaganda film- no scenes together- just cheering on the boys! Both were such stars!!

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
For a second there I thought it might be the other Elizabeth one in black &white- I’ve never seen this one. This looks a feast for the eyes if nothing else. I recently saw Old Maid on TCM and that was simply amazing- had never heard of it. And then I saw her and Joan in an old WW2 propaganda film- no scenes together- just cheering on the boys! Both were such stars!!
Can you be more specific? What other Elizabeth I movie are you referring to? I can’t think of one that was in Black & White. Both of the Bette Davis versions were in color.

noel aguirre

Premium
Real Name
noel
Can you be more specific? What other Elizabeth I movie are you referring to? I can’t think of one that was in Black & White. Both of the Bette Davis versions were in color.
Sorry I was scanning thru my phone and saw the lead picture in B&w and thought it was the one w Flora Robson I recently saw which was excellent. Fire Over England to be exact. My bad.
And The SeaHawk where Flora again played Queen Liz w none other than Errol Flynn.

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Sorry I was scanning thru my phone and saw the lead picture in B&w and thought it was the one w Flora Robson I recently saw which was excellent. Fire Over England to be exact. My bad.
And The SeaHawk where Flora again played Queen Liz w none other than Errol Flynn.
That's with Flora Robson playing QE I (once again she played her again in The Sea Hawk). It also has another actress - but I've forgotten her name - you'll have to give me a little Leigh way ;) ...

Fire Over England is also on blu-ray via Cohen with three other films.

1617967375004.png

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
That Bette Davis-Joan Crawford World War II movie is Hollywood Canteen, a fictional story of the real life organization of the West Coast iteration of the canteen in which Bette Davis served as organizing president. That was Joan's first Warner Bros. appearance after she walked out of MGM after almost twenty years there.

noel aguirre

Premium
Real Name
noel
That's with Flora Robson playing QE I (once again she played her again in The Sea Hawk). It also has another actress - but I've forgotten her name - you'll have to give me a little Leigh way ;) ...

Fire Over England is also on blu-ray via Cohen with three other films.

View attachment 94335
Ah yes that actress Rock Hudson asks if she were in Gone With the Wind at George Cukor's dinner party in "Hollywood" currently on Netflix.

richardburton84

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack
It’s a shame that Warner seemingly couldn’t find a good print of the original color trailer. A color version of the trailer is on TCM and YouTube (the upload shown below is from the channel of Brendan Carroll, one of the leading authorities on Korngold), but the print is quite worn and the end is missing, replaced by a repeat of the title card from the beginning of the trailer.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The forthcoming Blu-ray is based upon a natural color scheme, as used in the 1968-71 safety re-prints.

The original color was the warm, muted palette of GWTW, and other late 1930s productions.

The difference is extremely interesting, as it shows the palette actually captured by the Technicolor process, as opposed to that as color timed for release printing.

Both are correct. If money was no object, and obviously it is, I'd have a multiple disc set, as the appearance is quite different.

The rationale for going with the more natural palette is simple. Most modern viewers are ill-equipped to understand the earlier look, and appreciate it's beauty. I would presume complaints galore from many without the understanding of the background of color history in cinema.

For those interesting in seeing that original look, and with a huge tip of the hat to UCLA and color guru and archivist Barbara Flueckiger, go here:

Last edited:

Rob W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Mr. Harris, the frame grabs you refer to above are quite interesting. How much different would they look projected using carbon arc projection, which is what they were designed and timed for ? Would it significantly alter the look of those images?

Trancas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Eric
The forthcoming Blu-ray is based upon a natural color scheme, as used in the 1968-71 safety re-prints.

The original color was the warm, muted palette of GWTW, and other late 1930s productions.

The difference is extremely interesting, as it shows the palette actually captured by the Technicolor process, as opposed to that as color timed for release printing.

Both are correct. If money was no object, and obviously it is, I'd have a multiple disc set, as the appearance is quite different.

The rationale for going with the more natural palette is simple. Most modern viewers are ill-equipped to understand the earlier look, and appreciate it's beauty. I would presume complaints galore from many without the understanding of the background of color history in cinema.

For those interesting in seeing that original look, and with a huge tip of the hat to UCLA and color guru and archivist Barbara Flueckiger, go here:

Why would Warner Brothers go to all the expense of Technicolor, all those beautifully (Natalie Kalmus approved) brightly colored costumes and sets to end up with the jaundiced skin tones and strongly degraded blues, purples and greens? I'm sorry, but that doesn't make sense. Look at the snippets of blue sky that are visible at the tops of these clips. Look at Olivia's urine-colored face (where's the pink complexion and those blushed cheeks?) and the brilliant purple feathered thing that she's waving in the Warners clip above has turned to gray - it all looks oddly similar to 2 strip Technicolor.
These are 82 year old film clips on film derived from purified wood pulp with animal gelatin emulsions and various mordants and coatings. Organic substances yellow and discolor with time. I find it hard to believe that nitrate color prints are the exception.

Crowd.jpeg

Lilac feathered.jpeg

Guards.jpeg

Last edited:

Trancas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Eric
Here are snips of the 1953 documentary "A Queen is Crowned" filmed in Technicolor. Would the producers have wanted a golden colored version of current events? These are all Barbara Flueckiger sourced photos from the above linked site.

A Queen Is Crowned (1953).jpeg

Would Disney have wanted degraded color in their cartoons?

Koshofer_101_TechnicolorIV_DisneyAnimation_IMG_0246.jpg

Snow White.jpeg

Doc.jpeg

Was Hollywood still using gold skewed color tones in 1950 for Rogues of Sherwood Forest?

Rogues of Sherwood Forest (1950)1.jpeg

Rogues of Sherwood Forest (1950)2.jpeg

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Mr. Harris, the frame grabs you refer to above are quite interesting. How much different would they look projected using carbon arc projection, which is what they were designed and timed for ? Would it significantly alter the look of those images?
Slightly

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Here are snips of the 1953 documentary "A Queen is Crowned" filmed in Technicolor. Would the producers have wanted a golden colored version of current events? These are all Barbara Flueckiger sourced photos from the above linked site.

View attachment 94458

Would Disney have wanted degraded color in their cartoons?

View attachment 94462
View attachment 94468
View attachment 94469

Was Hollywood still using gold skewed color tones in 1950 for Rogues of Sherwood Forest?

View attachment 94460

View attachment 94461
Nothing “degraded” about the color. It is as intended.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Why would Warner Brothers go to all the expense of Technicolor, all those beautifully (Natalie Kalmus approved) brightly colored costumes and sets to end up with the jaundiced skin tones and strongly degraded blues, purples and greens? I'm sorry, but that doesn't make sense. Look at the snippets of blue sky that are visible at the tops of these clips. Look at Olivia's urine-colored face (where's the pink complexion and those blushed cheeks?) and the brilliant purple feathered thing that she's waving in the Warners clip above has turned to gray - it all looks oddly similar to 2 strip Technicolor.
These are 82 year old film clips on film derived from purified wood pulp with animal gelatin emulsions and various mordants and coatings. Organic substances yellow and discolor with time. I find it hard to believe that nitrate color prints are the exception.

View attachment 94452
View attachment 94453
View attachment 94454
These are not organic dyes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member