Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I've read that the original cut of the film was quite different as well. I mentioned this to Gene Kelly's widow Patricia Ward Kelly on her FB fan site and she said she planned to cover that in her forthcoming biography of Gene.
Apparently they changed just about every musical number with the exception of "Nina" and the "Pirate Ballet."

"Mack the Black" was originally slated to open the film as Manuela (Judy) sings it to the girls on the veranda. I don't know if this was the notorious Kay Thompson arrangement or if it was re-arranged for filming, but you can still see a snippet of this in the original trailer. There's a suspicious cut in the final film where the song should have gone.

They moved "Mack" to where it currently is because the original song for THAT scene, "Voodoo" (a song and dance duet with Gene Kelly) had to go. They staged and shot it twice before finally giving up on it and if the recording that still exists on the soundtrack is any indication, it's no wonder! They needed more Judy in the movie so they gave her a solo spot which worked out as it should as it's been reported Gene Kelly had a broken ankle during re-shoots and couldn't really get around without pain. He had to sit on the sidelines to cover it.

Freed cut Judy's solo, "Love of My Life," from earlier in the film (we still hear the reprise right before the end) which Manuela originally sang right before Kelly "invades" the town. In the final cut, she pulls a hatbox out of her closet that contains the limp, ruined hat she wore when she first met "Mack" but that originally led into her singing the solo

"You Can Do No Wrong" was originally in the same scene that it currently appears but was placed a little earlier and was staged as an ironic, comic song in which Manuela mocks "Mack." Realizing they didn't have a "love song" between the two anywhere in the picture, they decided to re-shoot it as a traditional love song that is not ironic. Again, because of Kelly's broken ankle in the re-shoots, it's convenient that she sings it while cradling him in her arms since he couldn't really walk around that well.

I don't THINK Judy was originally supposed to join Kelly for "Be a Clown" but the decision to add her was obviously made during the original shoot because Gene Kelly seems hale and hearty throughout!

Last edited:

roxy1927

Second Unit
Real Name
vincent parisi
I used to see it at the Regency and it certainly was eye popping. It was one of the reason I started disliking new movies in the 70s. Contemporary films looked so washed out. So when people complain about those film transfers today looking washed out or soft I'm like but that's exactly the way they looked when they were new!

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I’ll buy this 1948 flick of “The Pirate” without a hitch; but in staying with the year, hope that WAC will soon throw in a “Johnny Belinda”. Quick plug, I know; but I had to grab at any scant excuse and 1948, alone, seemed good enough for me.:)

And now, back to Judy and Gene.:cool:

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I used to see it at the Regency and it certainly was eye popping.
The days of revivals at the Regency are legend!! I never got to go but people still talk about it even though it's been gone since 1999! Jealous!!

large (4).jpg

Reactions: PMF

roxy1927

Second Unit
Real Name
vincent parisi
The Regency was one of New York's greatest pleasures for a movie lover in the 70s and 80s. The most popular movies were events with lines stretching both north and south Broadway. It might have been an old run down west side cinema but it was run with a lot of love and God bless Frank Rowley wherever he may be. One of the people who made New York a great city in a way it hasn't been since.

• Agreed
Reactions: Will Krupp and PMF

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The days of revivals at the Regency are legend!! I never got to go but people still talk about it even though it's been gone since 1999! Jealous!!

View attachment 81135
At one point, my friend Mort managed it and I got in for free! I also got in gratis at the Carnegie Hall Cinema and Bleecker Street Cinema because my friend Larry managed both (also borrowed 16mm prints after they played the day's run and took them home for private screenings). Alas, I left the city in 1988...

• Love
Reactions: PMF and Will Krupp

roxy1927

Second Unit
Real Name
vincent parisi
Yes the Carnegie Hall Cinema! Another great place for New Yorkers. Even for the day it was more than affordable. Every day a different double bill. And I loved the old ornate mini opera house interior. I believe that was destroyed to make into a modern recital hall. What a bummer.

The Regency played mostly old Hollywood studio product and the Carnegie more European and art house fair though they overlapped.
I went once to Bleeker Street only because I spent so little time downtown. It was an old Italian film called Noi Vivi with Alida and Rossano(like the best looking couple ever?) and based on Ayn Rand! It had a long run there. Strangely I never saw it advertised again at any revival house and I remember it being a terrific film. If it did play again somewhere I must have missed it.

Last edited:

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bhakarubneha