What's new

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I didn’t dare hope for another Day blu-ray title so soon after Young Man With a Horn (which itself was pretty soon after Romance on the High Seas) but I’m over the moon with this announcement. Keep ‘em coming!

Reactions: PMF

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I thought my DVD flipper edition was pretty good (widescreen one side of the disc; fullscreen the other) but this should be STUPENDOUS.
Like many here, I am totally thrilled . Its arrival date will be my once-a-year day.
Another reason to stay alive .......

lark144

Premium
Real Name
mark gross
I thought my DVD flipper edition was pretty good (widescreen one side of the disc; fullscreen the other) but this should be STUPENDOUS.
Like many here, I am totally thrilled . Its arrival date will be my once-a-year day.
Another reason to stay alive .......
Shouldn't that once a year day be a once a year Day, as in Doris?

Certainly the color and the grain management will be better. The grain is kind of clunky on the DVD. And the color, although pretty decent, does shift from time to time. There's one shot, at the picnic, I think, where Ms. Day appears to have just consumed a case of Mellow Yellow. And I would imagine the sound would also be superior.

roxy1927

Supporting Actor
Real Name
vincent parisi
It's funny but I think the best thing about the movie is not Doris Day or Steam Heat but the delightful simple I Would Trust Her where Reta Shaw and Eddie Foy Jr do a simple soft shoe and hit it out of the park.
Day wipes the non movie star Raitt off the screen and could have used a Howard Keel or Gordon MacRae to play off of. Also Shirley MacLaine should have played Gladys. Sometimes the original Broadway casts are not the best for the screen version. Imagine Betty Grable instead of Vivian Blaine in Guys and Dolls. What a missed opportunity.

I saw Stanley Donen speak once and he said Warner was being cheap so the film was done in mono. There is no stereo track.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Day wipes the non movie star Raitt off the screen and could have used a Howard Keel or Gordon MacRae to play off of. Also Shirley MacLaine should have played Gladys. Sometimes the original Broadway casts are not the best for the screen version. Imagine Betty Grable instead of Vivian Blaine in Guys and Dolls. What a missed opportunity.

In an interview, Janis Paige, the original stage star of The Pajama Game, said Jack Warner wanted to use as much of the original cast as possible but he knew that they would need a box office name to attract moviegoers. She said Warner told her if they could get a big name male lead then she could recreate her film role. If not, they'd try and get a name female star. The role was offered to Frank Sinatra, who turned it down and Paige lost out when they went with Doris Day. Essentially the same thing happened with Damn Yankees. They used the original Broadway cast but replaced Stephen Douglass with Tab Hunter who was popular at the box office then (though there's a rumor that Donen offered the Ray Walston role to Cary Grant). Thankfully, they kept Gwen Verdon and we have her marvelous performance on celluloid.

roxy1927

Supporting Actor
Real Name
vincent parisi
There is too little Verdon on screen.
Clearly Warner was in economy mode. Why not have both Day and Sinatra?
George Abbott hated Hunter and fired him. Of course Warner told him what was what. As in he's the reason the film is being made.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
We lucked out getting Doris instead of Janis Paige. Janis is a fine actress (she was Mame the first time I saw the musical on Broadway), but one listen to the original cast album of The Pajama Game shows she had serious pitch problems. She's not much better in Here's Love either. The role was tailor-made for Doris Day, and she's smashing in the movie.

Mark B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
We lucked out getting Doris instead of Janis Paige. Janis is a fine actress (she was Mame the first time I saw the musical on Broadway), but one listen to the original cast album of The Pajama Game shows she had serious pitch problems. She's not much better in Here's Love either. The role was tailor-made for Doris Day, and she's smashing in the movie.
Thank you for saying that. Back in 1984 when I was in a stage production I made the same comment during rehearsals. I had managed to find the Broadway cast album at the public library, but after listening I wanted to find a copy of the film soundtrack with Doris, as I found Janis had a tendency to be on the flat side of the note quite frequently. No one else seemed to notice. I am extremely pitch sensitive.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Thrilled. Wasn't sure given its Warner Color origins that we'd ever see a blu ray of this. One of my all times faves.

Reactions: PMF

roxy1927

Supporting Actor
Real Name
vincent parisi
Can we give some credit to Adler and Ross? And they allowed me to see Jerry Lewis in a Broadway musical which was terrific.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
Even though I miss the cut numbers, and I find "Once A Year Day" the worst choreographed number in motion picture history, I love this film. So happy about its Blu-ray release.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
In an interview, Janis Paige, the original stage star of The Pajama Game, said Jack Warner wanted to use as much of the original cast as possible but he knew that they would need a box office name to attract moviegoers. She said Warner told her if they could get a big name male lead then she could recreate her film role. If not, they'd try and get a name female star. The role was offered to Frank Sinatra, who turned it down and Paige lost out when they went with Doris Day. Essentially the same thing happened with Damn Yankees. They used the original Broadway cast but replaced Stephen Douglass with Tab Hunter who was popular at the box office then (though there's a rumor that Donen offered the Ray Walston role to Cary Grant). Thankfully, they kept Gwen Verdon and we have her marvelous performance on celluloid.
Jack Warner seems to have done that a lot. Even at Columbia he went all-original cast with no big names in 1776.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Jack Warner seems to have done that a lot. Even at Columbia he went all-original cast with no big names in 1776.

And don't forget My Fair Lady where he went with original cast members Rex Harrison and Stanley Holloway but wanted a box office name for Eliza so Audrey Hepburn replaced Julie Andrews. The irony, of course, that only a year later Julie Andrews became one of Hollywood's biggest stars! He okayed the original star of The Music Man, Robert Preston (after Cary Grant reputedly turned it down) but nixed Barbara Cook in favor of the more well known Shirley Jones. And then there's Mame where ..... oh wait, Warner was out of the loop at Warners by then :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hack