What's new

Warner Archive Press Release: The Opposite Sex (1956) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Loving June Allyson? Are you turning into Sally/Dorothy Collins?

Hahahahah! What can I say? Sometimes I stand in the middle of the floor, not going left, not going right.

In all seriousness, it's no secret that I've always been in the pro-June camp! I've often said (and THINK I may have said it earlier in this very thread) that the only time I disliked her was in WOMAN'S WORLD and I blame the way the character was scripted rather than June personally. No one could have been convincing in that role as written. It's a great movie other than her character but, as a corporate wife, I choose Lauren Bacall (or EVEN the deliciously slutty Arlene Dahl, sleeping her husband's way to the top.)

So let me be clear, I am an unapologetic June Allyson fan and always have been! To quote Mrs. Slocomb, "And I am unanimous in this!"

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Sadly, my highly anticipated Blu-ray of The Pirate did not arrive as scheduled, so I took the opportunity to watch the only other musical on my To-Watch shelf, The Opposite Sex on Blu-ray.

It is a major advance on the DVD in picture quality. Besides being able to see lots of textures and details in those fabulous gowns designed for the great cast of ladies and in backgrounds (like the woven background of the Sydney's sign in the opening scene after the credits), color is majorly improved, especially flesh tones. The women have always looked as pale as milk on the DVD and in all the TCM broadcasts I've caught, but they now actually have flesh tones that de-zombie them.

The mono sound while strong and clear is disappointing in not offering a stereo option.

BTW, why on Earth didn't the hairdresser, I assume Sydney Guilleroff, give June Allyson a longer wig to wear in the "Young Man with a Horn" flashback set during World War II? That short bob she wears throughout the movie was not in style in the mid 1940s.

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
View attachment 76691

Special Features and Technical Specs:
  • BRAND NEW RESTORATION OF THE FILM
  • Original trailer
  • Optional English SDH subtitles for the main feature

NEW 2020 1080 master!
THE OPPOSITE SEX (1956)
Run Time 116:00
Subtitles English SDH
Audio Specs DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English, STEREO - English
Aspect Ratio 2.35:1, 16 X 9 Letterbox
Product Color COLOR
Disc Configuration BD 50
Includes Original Theatrical Trailer (HD)

“I’ve waited a whole year to grow claws like these. Jungle Red!” One of film’s greatest lines belongs to a wronged wife who wins back her man with the aid of an aggressive shade of nail polish. First a hit play, then an all-star 1939 (and later, 2008) movie, The Women resurfaces here as the musical The Opposite Sex, complete with an all-star cast, lines dipped in acid wit, big production numbers and fabulous ‘50s couture in scintillating CinemaScope®. June Allyson portrays the betrayed woman. Joan Collins is the siren who steals her husband. And Dolores Gray, Ann Sheridan, Ann Miller, Agnes Moorehead, Charlotte Greenwood and Joan Blondell are assorted gal pals (true-blue and envy-green) who convince their demure friend to paint her claws – then use them.

I just received mine and popped in my player. I'm sad to inform that while the remastering job is superb (no surprise from Warner Archives), the stereo sound has been mixed down to mono. All of my previous discs, both Laserdisc and DVD, are in stereo. TCM broadcasts it in stereo. The original release had 4 channel sound. The packaging says stereo. I fast forwarded the entire disc and all of the musical segments are in mono. I even switched my Home Theater to 2 channel to be sure. Yup, no stereo. So disappointed. Any others encounter this?

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
This blu looks stunning, but I admit that I am disappointed in the mono sound, since previous versions (including streaming) have been in stereo. I would hope for a replacement on this one, as I always thought the stereo was quite good.
Absolutely. This would have been a deal breaker had I known about the mess up with the sound. How will we know if Warner will correct the problem and offer replacements?

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
You didn't read my post right above yours?
Missed that. Do we have any way of contacting The Archive regarding the lack of a stereo option? There was obviously an error made. Packaging clearly says stereo and all previous incarnations, including TCM broadcasts, have been in stereo. I posted a review on the Warner site including the sound issue. Let's see what happens.

Last edited:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Somehow, I missed the discussion about the faux pas with the sound. I finally received my November sale order and was crushed upon realizing that the sound is MONO! Good grief, has Kino invaded the Archive? Where’s the disc replacement program? Because it IS an error. WAC posted a sample of the new transfer on Youtube which has full stereo sound!

Last edited:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I tried contacting WB regarding the error. Crickets.
I sent an email just now and got an automated reply that they are out of the office until Monday. I hope they correct it. If not I may have to hunt down a used cheap DVD and then rip the video from the Blu-ray and the audio from the DVD to make my own digital copy. :(

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
The most recent management shake-up at Warner, and the loss of George Feltenstein - the chief proponent of the archive, suggests to me no replacement disc program will be forthcoming. In fact, we'll be lucky as film lovers, if they don't decide to scrap the archive entirely. Regrets.

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
The most recent management shake-up at Warner, and the loss of George Feltenstein - the chief proponent of the archive, suggests to me no replacement disc program will be forthcoming. In fact, we'll be lucky as film lovers, if they don't decide to scrap the archive entirely. Regrets.
:emoji_frowning2::emoji_frowning2::emoji_frowning2::emoji_frowning2:

tigereyes

Agent
Real Name
Paul B, Scott
View attachment 76691

Special Features and Technical Specs:
  • BRAND NEW RESTORATION OF THE FILM
  • Original trailer
  • Optional English SDH subtitles for the main feature

NEW 2020 1080 master!
THE OPPOSITE SEX (1956)
Run Time 116:00
Subtitles English SDH
Audio Specs DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English, STEREO - English
Aspect Ratio 2.35:1, 16 X 9 Letterbox
Product Color COLOR
Disc Configuration BD 50
Includes Original Theatrical Trailer (HD)

“I’ve waited a whole year to grow claws like these. Jungle Red!” One of film’s greatest lines belongs to a wronged wife who wins back her man with the aid of an aggressive shade of nail polish. First a hit play, then an all-star 1939 (and later, 2008) movie, The Women resurfaces here as the musical The Opposite Sex, complete with an all-star cast, lines dipped in acid wit, big production numbers and fabulous ‘50s couture in scintillating CinemaScope®. June Allyson portrays the betrayed woman. Joan Collins is the siren who steals her husband. And Dolores Gray, Ann Sheridan, Ann Miller, Agnes Moorehead, Charlotte Greenwood and Joan Blondell are assorted gal pals (true-blue and envy-green) who convince their demure friend to paint her claws – then use them.
This was a big disappointment as it is in Mono 1 channel Mono.
The DVD is in Stereo and quite a nice mix.
The Bluray is Mono and sounds poor by comparison.
Warner dropped the ball on this one.
what happened Warners.?

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Somehow, I missed the discussion about the faux pas with the sound. I finally received my November sale order and was crushed upon realizing that the sound is MONO! Good grief, has Kino invaded the Archive? Where’s the disc replacement program? Because it IS an error. WAC posted a sample of the new transfer on Youtube which has full stereo sound!

This is flat-out embarrassing. Who at WA thought a sequence that is 100% opticals was the best way to showcase the quality of the new transfer ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks