roxy1927

Second Unit
Real Name
vincent parisi
Mame was epic in it's failure. Though a guilty pleasure is watching It's Today on youtube. Lucy sings it as a dirge as if she were dreading the day ahead. At any age she was wrong for the role. She couldn't put on the effortless sophistication both Russell and Lansbury could but she could do the comedy like in the Macy's sequence.

That being said I saw it on a Sunday afternoon at Radio City after waiting 2 hours on line. The place was packed and I'm telling you the audience sang along with the title number(really) and applauded at the end of most of the songs including Gooch's Song(really.)
I don't think I've ever been with an audience that enjoyed a film more. It was as if they were at the best movie musical ever. I guess all that hard work brought a bit of joy into their humdrum lives and Lucy's work wasn't in vain. Bless them.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
But “Mame” is just one of those cases of Hollywood folklore in which I ponder upon the “What If” factor.

What if the Tony Award winning actress, who originated the role, got to do the film? What if Hollywood postponed the production until Angela Lansbury became available? What if Lucille Ball, who was inspired by Angela Lansbury’s very performance, had recognized that the role was never really hers to have?
While "what if" casting is often fun to ponder, one has to keep one foot in reality. And the reality is that Mame just isn't a very good movie. Would the presence of Angela Lansbury in the film of Mame made it a good movie? No! It may have made it slightly more enjoyable but a bad movie is still a bad movie. The casting of Lucille Ball as Mame didn't turn a good movie into a bad movie. A better script, a more creative director might have turned it into a good movie.

Similarly, using the "what if" scenario, what if Vera Miles hadn't gotten pregnant and played Judy/Madeline in Hitchcock's Vertigo as originally intended, would Vertigo been ruined? No, because it is a great movie. But it would have been (imo) slightly less effective because Miles lacked Kim Novak's screen presence, ethereal quality and vulnerability which all contributed to the film's spell.

Bottom line: a bad movie is still a bad movie regardless of who stars in it and a good movie is a good movie regardless of who stars in it. There are always exceptions of course. If A Streetcar Named Desire had starred Henry Fonda as Stanley and Marlene Dietrich as Blanche, I'd say we had a turkey! :D

Reactions: PMF

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
...Bottom line: a bad movie is still a bad movie regardless of who stars in it and a good movie is a good movie regardless of who stars in it...
True, but casting decisions can have unintended ripple effects. Had Either John Gavin or James Brolin played James Bond in Diamonds are Forever or Octopussy, respectively, as they nearly did, I think it would have killed off the series and changed the trajectory of the careers of Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton, Prierce Brosnan and Daniel Craig.

• Insightful
Reactions: Thomas T and PMF

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
IMHO, the attributes of “Mame”(1974) were the
Orchestrations by Ralph Burns, Cinematography by Philip H. Lathrop, Costumes by Theadora Van Runkle, the commanding ease of Robert Preston and, for good measure, I’ll even throw in the cameo role of the fox, as well.

BTW, wasn’t this thread about “The Opposite Sex”?;)

Last edited:
Reactions: B-ROLL

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
True, but casting decisions can have unintended ripple effects. Had Either John Gavin or James Brolin played James Bond in Diamonds are Forever or Octopussy, respectively, as they nearly did, I think it would have killed off the series and changed the trajectory of the careers of Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton, Pierce Brosnan and Daniel Craig.
There's something in that but remember, the casting of George Lazenby didn't kill off the Bond franchise :) But yes, I suppose we'd better get back to The Opposite Sex before the moderators slap our wrists. They hate it when we get off subject :D

• Haha

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
I don't think The Opposite Sex is a bad movie, I just think it doesn't ever get off the ground. If you call it a turkey, that's fine. Because believe it or not, turkeys can fly for short distances. They just don't wanna.

• Insightful

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I don't think The Opposite Sex is a bad movie, I just think it doesn't ever get off the ground. If you call it a turkey, that's fine. Because believe it or not, turkeys can fly for short distances. They just don't wanna.
Turkey is delicious, much better than chicken. For some of us, The Opposite Sex is a little oasis of pleasure.

Reactions: PMF and ahollis

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightRacerKL