What's new

Warner Archive Press Release: The Opposite Sex (1956) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
ok what you are saying, really, is that warners are in this only for the money, they are too cheap to work on their very vast film library, and we the consumer should just take what we can get and be happy with that. ok. good to know.

Seriously? And just what do you think Warners is in this for? Playing the good fairy and granting movie wishes for us? Spending their stockholders on money on restoring films that will never make their money back? You call them cheap. I call them good businessmen. And yes, if what we get is The Thin Man, Seven Brides For Seven Brothers, Mystery Of The Wax Museum, Jezebel, Victor Victoria, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, The Bad And The Beautiful, Father Of The Bride, Girl Crazy, Gaslight, Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, Auntie Mame. Out Of The Past, Brigadoon, Pride And Prejudice, Suspicion, Village Of The Damned, The Sea Hawk, Bad Day At Black Rock, Love Me Or Leave Me, Dodsworth, Kiss Me Kate (in 3D), Murder My Sweet, The Letter, Moonfleet, Silk Stockings, Gypsy, Home From The Hill, Bells Are Ringing, Wait Until Dark, Strike Up The Band, The Wrong Man, Picture Of Dorian Gray, While The City Sleeps, The Sea Wolf, Thank Your Lucky Stars, Days Of Wine And Roses, Footlight Parade, Summer Stock, Far From The Madding Crowd, Les Girls, Wagon Master, Cat On A Hot Tin Roof, Designing Woman, 42nd Street, Sweet Bird Of Youth, Billy Budd, Finian's Rainbow, A Patch Of Blue, Romance On The High Seas, Ballad Of Cable Hogue, Reflections In A Golden Eye (both versions yet) , The Hanging Tree, Reluctant Debutante, KIsmet, Yes, you bet I'll take what we can "get" and be happy with that

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
But do they make money on such releases? It just seems odd that a bluray of The Opposite Sex would make enough of a profit to be worth it for a corporation.

It's in MetroColor, CinemaScope, hopefully stereophonic sound and chock full of glamour and stars. On paper at least, It certainly seems to be more profitable than a B&W movie from the 1930s like Dodsworth that won't fill up their screens and "household" names like Ruth Chatterton. Not a slam against Dodsworth, it's a terrific movie with excellent performances including Ruthie and I've already added it to my collection but I'm just trying to keep it real. :D

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
But do they make money on such releases? It just seems odd that a bluray of The Opposite Sex would make enough of a profit to be worth it for a corporation.
They probably make a tiny profit on disc sales. But they're not creating new scans just so they can be released on disc. For one thing, it's protecting their library and assets. For another, having a new master allows them to release the movie to cinemas, as well digital sales and rentals, streaming services, and television.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Seriously? And just what do you think Warners is in this for? Playing the good fairy and granting movie wishes for us? Spending their stockholders on money on restoring films that will never make their money back? You call them cheap. I call them good businessmen. And yes, if what we get is The Thin Man, Seven Brides For Seven Brothers, Mystery Of The Wax Museum, Jezebel, Victor Victoria, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, The Bad And The Beautiful, Father Of The Bride, Girl Crazy, Gaslight, Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, Auntie Mame. Out Of The Past, Brigadoon, Pride And Prejudice, Suspicion, Village Of The Damned, The Sea Hawk, Bad Day At Black Rock, Love Me Or Leave Me, Dodsworth, Kiss Me Kate (in 3D), Murder My Sweet, The Letter, Moonfleet, Silk Stockings, Gypsy, Home From The Hill, Bells Are Ringing, Wait Until Dark, Strike Up The Band, The Wrong Man, Picture Of Dorian Gray, While The City Sleeps, The Sea Wolf, Thank Your Lucky Stars, Days Of Wine And Roses, Footlight Parade, Summer Stock, Far From The Madding Crowd, Les Girls, Wagon Master, Cat On A Hot Tin Roof, Designing Woman, 42nd Street, Sweet Bird Of Youth, Billy Budd, Finian's Rainbow, A Patch Of Blue, Romance On The High Seas, Ballad Of Cable Hogue, Reflections In A Golden Eye (both versions yet) , The Hanging Tree, Reluctant Debutante, KIsmet, Yes, you bet I'll take what we can "get" and be happy with that

You left out Mame.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen

A blu-ray release is just a part of the profit stream that is brought in.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland

And the Bogie and Bacall films.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
While we would all like to see our favorites get justice in hi-def (yours truly included), I think WAC has, at least of late (in the last 2 years) shown incredible due diligence where their deepest catalog is concerned. While some may question the integrity of their decision-making processes (I must admit, whenever I see a movie whose Rotten Tomato readings are well below 20% get short-listed and fast tracked to Blu-ray by WAC in lieu of mega-hits that rate a near perfect score, my head is left a bit more itchy for the scratching), WAC has shown great diversity in their output on Blu, and the ability to go back and rethink the needs of restoration/preservation on catalog like Mysteries of the Wax Museum, which yields to marvelous foresight in seeing such vintage product is not lost to us for all time.

Personally, I think that is where both the fear and the passion of many who contribute to these forum lies: that their favorites will not survive the advancing state of decomposition that undoubtedly will continue to afflict archived catalog as it sits in wait of its turn to receive the same level of support, moneys - and yes, 'love' to be resurrected from the dead - if, in fact, such a resurrection is possible in the first place. For many movies, regrettably, that day will never come.

I am not one who believes everything out there should receive the 'gold star' treatment in restoration before reaching the home video market. I think that studios should weigh the importance of the movie against the profits currently to be derived from investing heavily to completely restore it. So, I truly feel for those who want to see movies like The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm and Raintree County get released to Blu. However, as I said before - there are far too many movies of - arguably - more cultural significance that remain MIA on Blu and under WAC's current holdings.

These include many of my personal favorites as well. But I have no doubt WAC is doing the number crunching to make a good many of these still happen - if not in a time line equitable to some, then nevertheless, pursuing an aggressive, but appropriate course of action to ensure these movies do not simply vanish from the cultural landscape for all time, or survive only in a condition that in no way reflects the glory that once was their opening night splendor.

So, would I love to see Show Boat, High Society, Goodbye, Mr. Chips (1939), The Harvey Girls, National Velvet, Dinner At Eight, The Great Ziegfeld, The Prisoner of Zenda (1937), Random Harvest, Marie Antoinette, Romeo & Juliet, Week-end at the Waldorf, Around the World in 80 Days, Rosalie, Red Dust, San Francisco, Humoresque, Scaramouche, The Merry Widow (1934), Small Town Girl, Holiday in Mexico, Nancy Goes to Rio, Luxury Liner, Ryan's Daughter, Reversal of Fortune, The Student Prince, Ziegfeld Girl, Captain Blood, All This and Heaven Too, A Woman's Face, Easy to Love, Bathing Beauty, Mrs. Parkington, The White Cliffs of Dover, The Valley of Decision, The Brothers Karamazov, Blackboard Jungle, Babes on Broadway, The Charge of the Light Brigade, Lovely to Look At, The Little Foxes, Wuthering Heights, Follow the Fleet, Top Hat, Broadway Melody of 1936/38/40, For Me and My Gal, Good News, When Ladies Meet, Camille, Anna Karenina, Tarzan the Ape Man, The Great Waltz, Double Wedding, Love Crazy, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, and so on and so forth, on Blu-ray tomorrow?

And yes - that's just MY short list. The answer of course is 'yes'. As I am rounding 50 the likelihood I'll live to see all of these come to fruition is unlikely. Then again, I didn't expect WAC to breathe stunning new life into Pride and Prejudice (one of my all-time favorites - adore Greer Garson) and, well...that prayer was definitely answered by WAC. So, the comments earlier made about their adolescent fancies, made by incompetent, underage underlings is not only insulting, but fairly moot.

George Feltenstein, who oversees WAC's acquisitions and releases in hi-def is a spry 61-years young! Hardly, wet behind the ears!

Note to Mr. Feltenstein. If you're looking for a valiant successor upon your retirement (hopefully not for a good many more years), look no further, sir. I offer myself and my services for the coveted post. Shameless plug, certain to incur the wrath of many here. Oh well, can't blame a guy for trying. Bottom line: WAC is in good hands, and hopefully to remain so, given the recent announcement of cuts.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Image may contain: 5 people, text that says 'BlurayDis ARCHIVE COLLECTION METROCOLOR M. M CinemaScope JUNE ALLYSON JOAN COLLINS DOLORES GRAY ANN SHERIDAN SHERID ANN MILLER THE BARE FACTS ABOUT The Opposite Sex'

NEW 2020 1080 master!
THE OPPOSITE SEX (1956)
Run Time 116:00
Subtitles English SDH
Audio Specs DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English, STEREO - English
Aspect Ratio 2.35:1, 16 X 9 Letterbox
Product Color COLOR
Disc Configuration BD 50
Includes Original Theatrical Trailer (HD)

“I’ve waited a whole year to grow claws like these. Jungle Red!” One of film’s greatest lines belongs to a wronged wife who wins back her man with the aid of an aggressive shade of nail polish. First a hit play, then an all-star 1939 (and later, 2008) movie, The Women resurfaces here as the musical The Opposite Sex, complete with an all-star cast, lines dipped in acid wit, big production numbers and fabulous ‘50s couture in scintillating CinemaScope®. June Allyson portrays the betrayed woman. Joan Collins is the siren who steals her husband. And Dolores Gray, Ann Sheridan, Ann Miller, Agnes Moorehead, Charlotte Greenwood and Joan Blondell are assorted gal pals (true-blue and envy-green) who convince their demure friend to paint her claws – then use them.

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip

You left out Mame.
Heck, even Mame left out Mame.:D

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Heck, even Mame left out Mame.:D
Just for the record, I have both “Mame” and “Auntie Mame”. Both look and sound fantastic. And both are films that are enjoyed. But “Mame” is just one of those cases of Hollywood folklore in which I ponder upon the “What If” factor.

What if the Tony Award winning actress, who originated the role, got to do the film? What if Hollywood postponed the production until Angela Lansbury became available? What if Lucille Ball, who was inspired by Angela Lansbury’s very performance, had recognized that the role was never really hers to have?

Thankfully, though, the Original Broadway Cast album of “Mame” remains intact and available; leaving us some evidence of what we might have had with Ms. Lansbury’s entire performance, as captured on film.

Now, with all that said, please make no mistakes here; as I still and forever will love Lucy, too.

On a final note, WAC can count me in as another purchaser of “The Opposite Sex”.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks