Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
But why keep it to themselves when they can gleefully hit us over the head like a hammer over the head several times as if we didn't get their opinion the first time?
Well said, Thomas. So well said that I'm going to quote it back to you next time you dismiss Teresa Wright or Norma Shearer! :)

octobercountry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fred
I'm sure more than a few people would be happy to see Mr. Skeffington on blu ray in which Dolores Gray sings It Had To Be You.
Ha, yeah, I remembered Skeffington, which is why I made sure to specify "Dolores Gray's major films." Well, okay, Skeffington was a major film, but Dolores only has a cameo, so... I really wish Dolores was featured in more films, but by the time she hit it big musicals were already on their way out, so a notable Hollywood musical career wasn't in the stars for her...

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
For the record, I really like June Allyson (as WELL as Teresa and Norma.) The only thing in which I really don't care for June is WOMAN'S WORLD and I fault the the character as written (cutesy, gauche, and representative of the insufferably "good" little American housewife we're all supposed to prize) far more so than I fault her performance. I think that's a great little flick but give me Arlene Dahl screwing her husband's way to the top any day.

Now THE OPPOSITE SEX I've never really liked as a movie (I'm a big fan of the original) but goddamnit if all this jaw jaw isn't making me want to get it anyway!!

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
The only thing in which I really don't care for June is WOMAN'S WORLD and I fault the the character as written (cutesy, gauche, and representative of the insufferably "good" little American housewife we're all supposed to prize) far more so than I fault her performance.
I agree with that. It's the main weakness of a film I enjoy a lot.

Reactions: Will Krupp

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Helen Rose was a sorceress with fabric! I'd venture to say she might even out design Edith Head in that department but Head was a genius at self promotion which is why she's better known.
My favorite costume designer is Gilbert Adrian, better known to the world as MGM's 'Adrian' - husband of Janet Gaynor and who, in his lifetime, established more trends for women's fashion - not only at the studio, but also his own privately run Beverly Hills' couturier than any other 'movie-land' designer of his generation. A real renaissance man with many interests outside of design.

I also want to give a shout out here to Orry-Kelly and Irene Sharaff - two legendary Hollywood costume designers who somehow still don't get enough recognition in pop culture for their immeasurable contributions in that field. Exceptional talents like all three of these, we shall not see again. Pity that.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
For the record, I really like June Allyson (as WELL as Teresa and Norma.) The only thing in which I really don't care for June is WOMAN'S WORLD and I fault the the character as written (cutesy, gauche, and representative of the insufferably "good" little American housewife we're all supposed to prize) far more so than I fault her performance. I think that's a great little flick but give me Arlene Dahl screwing her husband's way to the top any day.

Now THE OPPOSITE SEX I've never really liked as a movie (I'm a big fan of the original) but goddamnit if all this jaw jaw isn't making me want to get it anyway!!
Ooooo, give me Arlene Dahl too - in just about anything. Sultry, sexy, slinky sex bomb. To quote from Ms. Dahl's song in Three Little Words - "I love you so much, I can't conceal it. I love you so much. It's a wonder you don't feel it!"

Reactions: PMF and Will Krupp

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yep, June's character in Woman's World is cringe-worthy, as I said in my review when I critiqued it several years ago. Her klutzy, bumbling airhead just turned me off completely, and I've always enjoyed her in most everything else (well, except for Battle Circus where her character also makes some bubble-headed decisions and in a war zone yet!).

Reactions: Will Krupp

roxy1927

Second Unit
Real Name
vincent parisi
It's akin to the regular as clockwork whining with each new Warners Archives announcement. They complained about Warners selections last month, they complained this month and they'll complain next month. "Nothing for me this month ..... again", "Why did they release an obscure title like XYZ when a classic like ABC still hasn't been released", etc. etc. etc.
Well it needs to be said. Repeatedly. Somebody at Warner's where the average age is probably about 24 because they are cheap and dumb needs to be told Showboat and The Harvey Girls are better films than The Opposite Sex and Summer Stock.

Ok I'm being snarky. I was stunned about The Reluctant Debutante and Romance on the High Seas. Two really worthwhile films. And who remembers them but about 10 people?

Last edited:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Somebody at Warner's where the average age is probably about 24 because they are cheap and dumb needs to be told Showboat and The Harvey Girls are better films than The Opposite Sex and Summer Stock.
Feel better now that you'e got it out of your system? :rolleyes: Insulting the hard working staff at Warners Archives where the average age is more likely 40s to 60s because I doubt 24 year olds have any interest in The Opposite Sex, Summer Stock, The Harvey Girls or Show Boat. I hope you're sitting down because this will come as a great shock to you. The Warner Archives are a business, not a personal library dedicated to giving YOU the films you demand. They have stockholders to answer to. Do you seriously think Warners Archives have no interest in releasing The Harvey Girls or Show Boat? Or High Society, Helen Of Troy, Raintree County, Land Of The Pharaohs, Mogambo, The Pirate or any other highly requested titles? They know their business and they know if they release these films in their present condition without the expensive restorations needed to make them ready for HD, the few of us left who still collect physical media would have a hissy fit!!! What's the point of releasing a sub par transfer in HD? Films like The Opposite Sex and Summer Stock most likely required very little work (or certainly less expensive) to make it HD ready so why not release them? As physical media dwindles down, I'm grateful for whatever plums Warner Archives tosses my way. The sense of entitlement that certain people feel toward the Warners library (Warners, RKO, MGM) astounds me. How about the Archives close up shop and give us nothing? Would that make you happier?

roxy1927

Second Unit
Real Name
vincent parisi
Mea Culpa.

But I AM the audience for these films. As are people like me and we ARE getting old. And I wasn't even alive when these films were made.

marcco00

Second Unit
Real Name
marc
ok what you are saying, really, is that warners are in this only for the money, they are too cheap

to work on their very vast film library, and we the consumer should just take what we can get and

be happy with that. ok. good to know.

roxy1927

Second Unit
Real Name
vincent parisi
But do they make money on such releases? It just seems odd that a bluray of The Opposite Sex would make enough of a profit to be worth it for a corporation.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tikmanshubtdulu