Supporting Actor
Real Name
BAP
the-opposite-sex-md-web.jpg

noel aguirre

Premium
Real Name
noel
Good news! Oh, this isn't a great film---can't compare to the original---but I do enjoy it for the cast alone. (Plus I always get a kick out of seeing June Allyson walloping Joan Collins.) And with this release, we will have all four of Dolores Gray's major films out on blu-ray---woohoo!
Amen to that!!!

AlanP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BAP
Amen to that!!!
My opinion casting is not the best, that could have been for this film.
Never found June Allyson a great leading actress. Lana Turner, Jane Wyman, Olivia DeHavilland, Vivien Leigh,, Doris Day, Grace Kelly, Jane Powell, Susan Hayward would have been better choices as leads.

noel aguirre

Premium
Real Name
noel
You're right: many will disagree and I'm one of them.
Never found June Allyson a great leading actress. Lana Turner, Jane Wyman, Olivia DeHavilland, Vivien Leigh,, Doris Day, Grace Kelly, Jane Powell, Susan Hayward would have been better choices as leads.
Agreed JA is the weakest link. I would have gone for Debbie Reynolds- she always seems to lose her man. Just sayin

Astairefan

Second Unit
Real Name
Neil Powell
Do we know if this one is still coming (at least, for September)? In spite of the "early leak," this one wasn't re-announced today with any of the other stuff for September. Was it originally supposed to be, and has been delayed, or has something else happened?

roxy1927

Second Unit
Real Name
vincent parisi
Gee both Allyson and Shearer get trashed on this thread. So who's going to take a whack at Garson?

The Opposite Sex? Well I guess Give a Girl a Break and Meet Me in Las Vegas should be next. All the Radio City Music Hall rejects. Meanwhile no Good News, Till the Clouds Roll By, Words and Music, Scaramouche...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Do we know if this one is still coming (at least, for September)? In spite of the "early leak," this one wasn't re-announced today with any of the other stuff for September. Was it originally supposed to be, and has been delayed, or has something else happened?
A press release wasn't released today by WA. It's probably coming, but apparently not in September.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin

The film was undoubtedly made to provide work for MGM's contract actresses, so June Allyson got the role.

The Opposite Sex? Well I guess Give a Girl a Break and Meet Me in Las Vegas should be next. All the Radio City Music Hall rejects. Meanwhile no Good News, Till the Clouds Roll By, Words and Music, Scaramouche...
I will jump for joy if and when Meet Me In Las Vegas comes out on Blu-ray disc.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Oh, if only Collins had walloped June...
I'll grant that Collins is infinitely preferable to Crawford as Crystal. She's younger and sexier. The rest of the cast, except for Mary and Little Mary, is a good match against the original.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
The film was undoubtedly made to provide work for MGM's contract actresses, so June Allyson got the role.

Not accurate! Allyson's MGM contract ended in 1953 after Remains To Be Seen. She free lanced after that although she returned to MGM for Executive Suite and The Opposite Sex. As to the reason she was cast ..... easy. She was box office. In 1955, Allyson and Grace Kelly were the only two women in the top 10 box office stars. Allyson had been in a string of hit movies like The Glenn Miller Story, Strategic Air Command and The McConnell Story which made her one of the most in demand actresses in Hollywood at the time. So popular in fact that she was offered the title role in Three Faces Of Eve but her husband Dick Powell talked her out of accepting it saying she was all wrong for the part (she discussed this with Robert Osborne in an interview with him on TCM) as a departure from her squeaky clean image in The Shrike did not please her fans and was a failure at the box office. Alas, a string of subsequent box office failures like You Can't Run Away From It, My Man Godfrey, Interlude and Stranger In My Arms ended her reign as a popular star.

Last edited:

roxy1927

Second Unit
Real Name
vincent parisi
Because of the box office failure of It's a wonderful Life Jimmy Stewart dumped Donna Reed from his next film in which she was also supposed to star for the more sure to bring in moviegoers June. Reed never forgot. When asked to appear at a Stewart gala she said, 'Why don't they ask June Allyson?'

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Because of the box office failure of It's a wonderful Life Jimmy Stewart dumped Donna Reed from his next film in which she was also supposed to star for the more sure to bring in moviegoers June. Reed never forgot. When asked to appear at a Stewart gala she said, 'Why don't they ask June Allyson?'
Good for Reed! And she could have thrown her Oscar at her face as well.

roxy1927

Second Unit
Real Name
vincent parisi
Robert Osborne also talked about being at the table with Reed at a Capra gala and how both Capra and Stewart went on and on gushing about how much Reed brought to the film. Reed was having none of it and said something to the effect of 'Well this is interesting. They blamed me for its failure and now I'm wonderful in it.'

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Good for Reed! And she could have thrown her Oscar at her face as well.

Her face? Don't you mean his face? If you're referring to Allyson, it wasn't her that got Reed dumped, it was Stewart! How sexist! As usual, the woman is blamed and the man gets a pass. When a man strays, it's the other woman who gets the blame for "stealing" him from his happy home as if he had nothing to do with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rai555