1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Press Release Warner Archive Press Release: The Jetsons: The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ronald Epstein, Jul 16, 2019.

1. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    So they did the same thing as their Jonny Quest DVDs?

2. Mark Y

Mark Y Screenwriter

I'm surprised the lawyers let that slide. I remember Earl Kress saying lawyers made them split each Wacky Races show into two separate cartoons, each with its own show opening and closing. Maybe because it was marketed as having "34" episodes when there were really only 17 half-hours.

bmasters9, Tony Bensley and likewow like this.
  3. ClassicTVMan1981X

ClassicTVMan1981X Screenwriter

Benjamin
    Right... on the original DVD release of the O-R Jonny Quest, most of the episodes use the closing credits from episode 4 ("Pursuit of the Po-Ho," the last episode of the series to feature John Stephenson as the voice of Dr. Quest), except for episode 9 ("Double Danger"), which likewise also uses the wrong end credits, in that case, from episode 3 ("The Curse of Anubis").

~Ben

Tony Bensley, likewow and Flashgear like this.
  4. Mark Y

Mark Y Screenwriter

Am I missing something -- I don't see a release date for this.

Reading this announcement prompted me to pull out the original Jetsons DVD set. I've been watching several of the episodes. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed this show watching it on Saturday mornings (and later in syndication). I would actually rank it among my favorite cartoon shows.

I am somewhat annoyed at the 1980s title cards added to the episodes, but I'm a little ambivalent about it. I can understand why they did it -- the writers of each episode are properly (?) credited, for one thing. Each show has the same closing, just from one episode -- I honestly don't remember if that was the case on the Saturday morning reruns or not.

After a quick check of the episodes on the DVD set, am I correct that all but "A Date With Jet Screamer" include the laugh tracks? That was there originally, right?

5. dawnshadow

dawnshadow Stunt Coordinator

Dawn
    Release date is September 10.

6. Message #46 of 77 Aug 10, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    That was nothing compared to the after-the-fact hate-cult for Scrappy-Doo in the early days of the Internet.

I was a kid during the Jetsons reboot years; I barely remembered Orbitty at all except that he wasn't in the 1990 movie. Nobody noticed because that was overshadowed by Janet Waldo getting pushed out for Tiffany when they moved heaven and earth to get George O'Hanlon and Mel Blanc right before they died (they missed Daws Butler by that much making Elroy's replacement necessary). Why couldn't they just let Tiffany have the songs and let Janet do the speaking voice, other than the Billboard charts overruling common sense? Disney would go on to do the same thing with Jasmine, Simba, Pocahontas, et al by having vocal doubles for the songs Marni Nixon-style. In this case, I blame Universal and not H-B; they retained Janet for the two TV-movies they made before the theatrical film without Universal's involvement. Both studios were being sold again around that time.

As for the difference in quality, part of that is because the original ABC series was done in prime time when they were still at Screen Gems, but the later years were in daytime syndication when Taft Broadcasting still owned them. It was then that they migrated to Saturday morning and their output got more child-centric; even when they got Tom and Jerry back in the 1970s after a decade with Gene Deitch and Chuck Jones, their new adventures were bowdlerized beyond belief. Considering The Jetsons had only one season originally, it's amazing how long they were in reruns when The Flintstones ran six years originally and then got reboot after reboot after reboot. It was only a matter of time before The Jetsons came back. They tried to reboot it in the 1970s, but the networks passed that up; H-B turned it into Partridge Family 2200 AD and only then did CBS want it. But was its reboot any more disappointing than the Comedy Central Futurama reboot? Or the Netflix Arrested Development? Perhaps you really can't go home again.

bmasters9, Tony Bensley and Flashgear like this.
  7. sjbradford

sjbradford Stunt Coordinator

sjbradford
    This was the beginning of the practice of having “names” do voices in animated features, rather than trained voice actors. It’s a real shame.

“The Jetsons” was our “Honeymooners”, which only had 39 episodes available for the longest time. We watched those same 24 episodes of “The Jetsons” over and over again, and it didn’t seem to matter. There was something special about the series that made it rewatchable despite the relatively small number of episodes.

8. Mark Y

Mark Y Screenwriter

I don't like that practice at all. It's gimmicky and probably just intended to bring in more moviegoers. I have noticed that often they are not credited as voice artists, they are listed as "cast" as if they themselves are actually in the movie, and often character designs seem to be based on the voice actors themselves.

But there are numerous other things about movies these days that turn me off. 90% of them being remakes, "reboots" and sequels, just for starters. Lazy bums.

I concur. When I first used to see it, it only aired once a week on Saturday mornings, so that probably helped (versus weekdays where they would go through the episodes much faster).

I also recall that during the years when it was on Saturday mornings on NBC in the 1970s, WGN-Channel 9 in Chicago ran it for a time, also on Saturday mornings only. (I don't know if the syndicated runs overlapped the network runs.) Later WFLD-Channel 32 picked it up and they initially only showed it on Sunday mornings.

Later WFLD did air it on weekdays, but I remember one summer when the Jetsons ran weekdays for a month, then they switched to Underdog. (Normally their summer lineups were pretty stable. At first I thought maybe their rights had expired, but I think they ran it the next summer as well. I bet it was so they didn't repeat them too much.)

bmasters9, Tony Bensley and BobO'Link like this.
  9. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    The price link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Tony Bensley likes this.
  10. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    About time Amazon, I've been checking every day for a link.

11. sjbradford

sjbradford Stunt Coordinator

sjbradford
    In Boston, we did have an independent, WSBK, that occasionally ran the original 24 episodes on weekdays or Sundays at the same time that NBC was airing it on Saturday mornings.

12. David Norman

David Norman Producer

13. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    Oooo my cable company carried WSBK back in the late 80's and early 90's. The Movie Loft was one of my favorites. Along with Ask the Manager. Great days...

http://old-school-boston.blogspot.com/2016/06/dana-hersey-and-movie-loft-on-channel.html

14. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I just received an email from Amazon with an updated delivery date. It moved from November 1st to October 7th. Why am I not surprised that a title from Warner Archive is "delayed" from Amazon?

In all honesty I'd not payed much attention to the release date and now see that it was Sept. 10th. I've missed a few opportunities to get it for less than Amazon's price from other vendors - something I'd planned to do anyway, in spite of having ordered from Amazon.

15. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I just sent a very pointed email to Jeff Bezos at Amazon about the Disney and Warner situation.

Now before you laugh...

I know Jeff doesn't read all his emails. However, from past practice, they do get answered by Amazon Executives (not regular customer service).

I will let you know what kind of response I receive

16. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate

I've done the same in the past and always got some kind of response (and not just a cookie-cutter response). Will be interested to hear what they say.

Tony Bensley likes this.
  17. David Norman

David Norman Producer

I have a prediction -- a version of

A) "What problem, there are no issues with Disney or Warner"
    B) "It's all their fault. Neither will send us any product b/c they're mean and aren't looking out for the consumer like we are"
    C) "We're setting up a consultant group to study the issue"

Is there a poll to predict the closest combination -- personally I'm voting on B and C or possible All of the Above

Tony Bensley likes this.
  18. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    So each cartoon of each episode was deemed a separate episode?

19. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    I've cancelled this order from Amazon. Like V: The Miniseries (which has been out for more than a month and I never received), I was tired of waiting for this. I ordered from Warner Archive, knowing the extra money will save me aggravation.

JohnMor likes this.
  20. Nick*Z

Nick*Z Screenwriter

NICK
    Bravo. I did as much a few weeks ago. Tired of waiting for stuff to arrive or have it delayed by weeks, if not, in fact, months. Have gone through third-party sellers on Amazon (paying more) but getting my Warner/Disney product on time from them. No conflict of interest there!

MatthewA likes this.