What's new

Warner Archive Press Release: The Jetsons: The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

likewow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kyle
What's your view on the laugh track? Since this is billed as 'original broadcasts,' every episode should have laughs, which they don't always when rerun on TV.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
In general I very much dislike laugh tracks. They're insulting and annoying. In spite of that I'd prefer this release have it as it was there originally. I think I'd miss it if it were omitted as that's how I heard the show for over a decade. If they want to have an *alternate* audio track without the laugh track I'd be OK with that too. That way I could have it either way.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Anyone remember after years of Saturday morning reruns on NBC, at some point -- I want to say the LAST time the show played on NBC, in the early 1980s -- there were cuts made to the series opening, and they looked like they were physically spliced out of the film. The intro started abruptly around the point where the words "The Jetsons" appeared on screen.

Then after the words "Jane his wife" there was an abrupt splice, cutting out the bit where he goes to hand her a bill and she instead takes his wallet. They cut to George arriving at work.

I certainly hope the shows are restored to their original state before all the 1985 revision shenanigans.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Anyone remember after years of Saturday morning reruns on NBC, at some point -- I want to say the LAST time the show played on NBC, in the early 1980s -- there were cuts made to the series opening, and they looked like they were physically spliced out of the film. The intro started abruptly around the point where the words "The Jetsons" appeared on screen.

Then after the words "Jane his wife" there was an abrupt splice, cutting out the bit where he goes to hand her a bill and she instead takes his wallet. They cut to George arriving at work.

I certainly hope the shows are restored to their original state before all the 1985 revision shenanigans.
The Jetsons' Saturday morning run had many jumps across CBS and NBC after its final run on ABC in the 1963-64 season (where its Saturday morning trek first started): it first landed on CBS's Saturday morning lineup for the 1964-65 season, and then moved to NBC for the 1965-66 and 1966-67 seasons, sitting out the 1967-69 seasons before going back to CBS for the 1969-71 seasons, and then to NBC again (on and off) from 1971 to 1983 (skipping over the 1976-78 seasons, the early part of the 1978-79 season, and the 1981-82 season). Locally syndicated (weekday afternoon) reruns of the series also simultaneously existed around 1967.

This series, along with Jonny Quest and the Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies shorts, was one of the few to have been seen on all of the "Big Three" television networks.

~Ben

Last edited:

Mark Y

Screenwriter
The Jetsons' Saturday morning run had many jumps across CBS and NBC after its final run on ABC in the 1963-64 season (where its Saturday morning trek first started): it first landed on CBS's Saturday morning lineup for the 1964-65 season, and then moved to NBC for the 1965-66 and 1966-67 seasons, sitting out the 1967-69 seasons before going back to CBS for the 1969-71 seasons, and then to NBC again (on and off) from 1971 to 1983 (skipping over the 1976-78 seasons, the early part of the 1978-79 season, and the 1981-82 season). Locally syndicated (weekday afternoon) reruns of the series also simultaneously existed around 1967.

This series, along with Jonny Quest and the Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies shorts, was one of the few to have been seen on all of the "Big Three" television networks.

~Ben

I remember it occasionally aired on Saturday mornings on WGN-Channel 9 In Chicago, and later Sunday mornings (and eventually weekdays) on WFLD-Channel 32. This was either simultaneously with the NBC Saturday morning reruns, or intermittent when NBC wasn't running it.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Looks like I will be upgrading my old DVD set to this new Blu-ray set. I've been very pleased with the Jonny Quest set so I don't see any reason not to upgrade. Plus, original broadcast versions. I'm in.

Is it verified that they are the original versions?

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
The DVD set of The Jetsons 1962-63 season is sufficent for me, I have no plans to invest in blu-ray or purchase a blu-ray player.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I've always loved The Jetsons original season and not the new seasons over two decades later, echoing what Randy K. wrote.

In the 1990's I won a contest and the prize was an animation cel from The Jetsons, autographed by Joseph Hanna and William Barbera. It's similar to the Blu-Ray cover pictured above, except it has a yellow background.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
The TV Shows on DVD Roundup thread, in today's link, says this about The Jetsons release:

NOTE: previously available on DVD format in season sets, this is the first Blu-ray Disc release, and the first time as a complete series. Date, pricing, and details are not available as of this writing...stay tuned!

So, this information is misleading, no?

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Put me down as another who doesn't care for the 80s episodes of this series. The writing was off, the voices didn't sound "right" (even though it was the same voice actors), the situations didn't click, essentially they were "lesser" than the 60s show, and "Orbitty" was horrible. Those episodes were a typical 80s Saturday morning cartoon while the 60s show was a fairly typical 60s Prime Time sitcom that happened to be animated and was aimed at adults as much as kids.

I'm thrilled with this release and that it's the original series and *only* the original series.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I haven't seen the 80's episodes in many years. Now I'm wondering if they were as well done as I had thought. I'll have to revisit them and see for myself someday on DVD or hopefully Blu-Ray.

The Orbitty hate for example isn't something I was ever aware of. The way I remember it, Orbitty barely had a presence. But you guys are making it sound like he/she/it (Do they ever say?) was a big part of the revival and that the character wasn't well received by some (Sounds like The Great Gazoo from the last season of The Flintstones).

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
The TV Shows on DVD Roundup thread, in today's link, says this about The Jetsons release:

NOTE: previously available on DVD format in season sets, this is the first Blu-ray Disc release, and the first time as a complete series. Date, pricing, and details are not available as of this writing...stay tuned!

So, this information is misleading, no?

Correct, that is misleading. The DVD included the entire 60s series but was labeled a "first season," as was Jonny Quest. Even the recent anniversary DVD reissue didn't correct for this.

sjbradford

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
sjbradford
I was also disappointed with the 1980s episodes. The voices sounded OK to me. It was the stories that were the problem - much more aimed at kids.I remember waiting all those years for new episodes and being excited that we were finally getting some. And later realizing “be careful of what you wish for”. They were OK, but not as good as the originals.

Those new episodes didn’t run on Saturday mornings, btw. They were originally aired in syndication as a strip - five days per week in the afternoons. Definitely a difference in quality between a primetime series and a weekday afternoon series.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
I was also disappointed with the 1980s episodes. The voices sounded OK to me. It was the stories that were the problem - much more aimed at kids.I remember waiting all those years for new episodes and being excited that we were finally getting some. And later realizing “be careful of what you wish for”. They were OK, but not as good as the originals.

Those new episodes didn’t run on Saturday mornings, btw. They were originally aired in syndication as a strip - five days per week in the afternoons. Definitely a difference in quality between a primetime series and a weekday afternoon series.

I remember our local station in Chicago showing the new episodes on weekdays and the original series on Sunday mornings at first.

I loved the original Jetsons, but couldn't get into the new ones for whatever reasons. However, I loved "The New Fred And Barney Show." Go figure.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
yep, this and Flintstones. I always feel so bad I didn't buy all the dvds they had at big lots so long ago. but i wouldn't feel so bad if the blu ray set of it and this come out. wonderful wonderful!

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
If I remember right, the DVD release only used one end credits segment for the entire season meaning that voice actors and writers weren't getting properly credited for their respective episodes because the same one kept being used over and over.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks