What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I often hear this “hard matted in the camera” thing. In all my years of working with Arriflex, Mitchell, Panavision, and MovieCam 35mm cameras, I never saw a “hard matte in the camera.” If anyone has used a 35mm motion picture camera with a 1.66-to-1 hard matte in the camera, I would like to know your experience.

In all the years I worked in a film laboratory & then as a Telecine Colourist, I only ever came across one 35mm feature that was hard matted in camera, & that was when I was transfering some rushes of a French film. I'd think hard matted in camera must be a rare animal.
[/QUOTE]
I only recall a couple of examples of hard- matting in camera. Trying to recall which. Offhand, Mockingbird and Valence come to mind. Which would lead me to believe there may have been a single camera at Paramount set up in that fashion. I'll see if I can find sample frames.

marcco00

Second Unit
Real Name
marc
even tho i have the UK blu this looks to be a fantastic upgrade so i'll have to get....and geezzz look

at that cover art!!!

i'm a sucker for Universal, Hammer, and Mario Bava horror!!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
My favorite Hammer film, and perhaps the best Frankenstein film ever made (I love the original Universal film of course).

Frankenstein: The True Story is the one for me, which also tecently got a long-over remaster and finally got to BD. But love Curse as well. Wish Sony would do something with Revenge of Frankenstein.

Billy Batson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Frankenstein: The True Story is the one for me, which also tecently got a long-over remaster and finally got to BD. But love Curse as well. Wish Sony would do something with Revenge of Frankenstein.

Sony restored Revenge Of Frankenstein last year, but so far that transfer has only been released as part of a four Hammer film box set from Indicator (UK): Hammer Volume Four: Faces Of Fear, featuring, The Revenge Of Frankenstein, The Two Faces Of Dr Jekyll, Taste Of Fear & The Damned. All discs are region free, & an American posted over at blu-ray.com that he contacted Indicator & asked if he could buy just the Revenge disc, & apparently they agreed (usually the idea is that you can only buy the films individually once the box sets have sold out, but that can take years). I have that set, & as I posted, I'll be watching both Frankenstein films as a double-bill.

Amazon product

Last edited:

Holmesian

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
Sony restored Revenge Of Frankenstein last year, but so far that transfer has only been released as part of a four Hammer film box set from Indicator (UK): Hammer Volume Four: Faces Of Fear, featuring, The Revenge Of Frankenstein, The Two Faces Of Dr Jekyll, Taste Of Fear & The Damned. All discs are region free, & an American posted over at blu-ray.com that he contacted Indicator & asked if he could buy just the Revenge disc, & apparently they agreed (usually the idea is that you can only buy the films individually once the box sets have sold out, but that can take years). I have that set, & as I posted, I'll be watching both Frankenstein films as a double-bill.

Amazon product

I have the Indicator set as well...I think the Revenge of Frankenstein disc in that set was likewise from a 4K restoration...it looks fantastic.

In the past, it has been a shame having to watch the rather poor quality (with color way off, in particular—thus a very faded look) of the Lionsgate Curse of Frankenstein UK Blu-ray alongside the pristine image quality of Indicator's disc of Revenge (literally Curse's immediate sequel).

For this October's TCM event of showing a few Peter Cushing films each Monday (he was dubbed the "Star of the Month" or some such moniker), I was hoping there might be a newly restored version of Curse airing. I was disappointed to see that it was not a new master that aired, and I became convinced that it would be a while yet before one would be put out. So imagine my surprise and delight at this announcement!

Given this new Curse restoration, alongside the upcoming Blu-ray release of The Court Jester (totally unrelated, but another favorite of mine), I am absolutely thrilled with end-of-year Blu-ray offerings :)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
In all the years I worked in a film laboratory & then as a Telecine Colourist, I only ever came across one 35mm feature that was hard matted in camera, & that was when I was transfering some rushes of a French film. I'd think hard matted in camera must be a rare animal.
I only recall a couple of examples of hard- matting in camera. Trying to recall which. Offhand, Mockingbird and Valence come to mind. Which would lead me to believe there may have been a single camera at Paramount set up in that fashion. I'll see if I can find sample frames.
[/QUOTE]
Here you go:

Two examples. Same film, which is unidentified, but with far too many prints struck from the camera negative.

First, open matte, as shot:
img20201116_12051478.jpg

And next, also open matte, but as cropped in camera. The frame lines, as well as some marking on the edge of the film, outboard of the perfs, identify the print as coming from the camera negative.

img20201116_12034371.jpg

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I often hear this “hard matted in the camera” thing. In all my years of working with Arriflex, Mitchell, Panavision, and MovieCam 35mm cameras, I never saw a “hard matte in the camera.” If anyone has used a 35mm motion picture camera with a 1.66-to-1 hard matte in the camera, I would like to know your experience.

[/QUOTE]
The hard matted in camera claim seems to come out on the internet by the same people who keep pushing the myth of 1.66:1 as the correct ratio in Europe when documentation proves from 1958 1.75:1 was the European ratio with a few rare exceptions. They used it to support Horror of Dracula being 1.66:1 when documentation shows 1.75:1.

TallPaulInKy

Agent
Real Name
Paul W Urbahns
[QUOTE="Randy Korstick] Horror of Dracula being 1.66:1 when documentation shows 1.75:1.[/QUOTE]

Both the 2007 and 2012 restorations verify the film was shot in a 1:66 to 1 ratio. The title in modern Blu-Rays has been returned to he British "Dracula." Any further matting for the American market would have been done by Universal to distribution prints.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Experience111