What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Press Release: The Bermuda Depths (1978) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
1612219476821.png

NEW 2021 1080p Masters Sourced from 4K scan of Original Camera Negative!

THE BERMUDA DEPTHS (1978)
Run Time 97:00
Subtitles English SDH
Sound Quality DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English, MONO - English
Aspect Ratio 1.85:1, 16 X 9 Widescreen (International Theatrical presentation), 1.33:1, 4 X 3 (U.S. Television presentation)
Product Color COLOR
Disc Configuration BD 50
Special Features: Includes Both the 1.33:1 US Broadcast Television Version and the 1.85:1 International Theatrical Version; New Audio Commentary by Author/ Film Historian Amanda Reyes (Are You in the House Alone? A TV Movie Compendium: 1964-1999) and Kindertrauma co-founder Lance Vaughan.

What secret lurks 20,000 feet below the waves in the paranormal realm called the Bermuda Triangle? That’s the question a scientist (Burl Ives), his student (Carl Weathers) and a young man (Leigh McCloskey) haunted by nightmarish memories of his Bermuda childhood ask themselves. The answer involves a beauty (Connie Sellecca) who has sold her soul for eternal youth and a giant sea turtle that leaves death in its wake. Eerie and hypnotic, The Bermuda Depths was produced by Arthur Rankin, Jr. and Jules Bass (The Year Without a Santa Claus), who meld their imaginative fantasy style with the live-action horror genre.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited by a moderator:

Dick

Premium
Real Name
Rick
Never heard of it. Rankin-Bass? Could be good, could be worthless.

Trancas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Eric
Intriguingly oddball cast and plot. Connie's character sold her soul to what; the turtle, local voodoo priestess, Burl Ives....? Does Leigh get her soul back so they can have a happy together forever? Or does she die and have rapid-onset aging like "She". All this and 4K from OCN + dueling formats! Wow!

ConnieS2.jpg

Last edited:

Bob Cashill

Senior HTF Member
Not “worthless,” but certainly offbeat, a love story about a man, a woman of mystery, Burl Ives, and a giant prehistoric turtle. Like its more grounded RB companion The Last Dinosaur I watched it as often as ABC aired it in prime time, then didn’t see it for decades until the Archive released it on DVD-R.

JeffBD

Auditioning
I really enjoyed the cinematography and music in this. I loved it as a teenager, and I will definitely buy. Where did you see the pre-order information? I looked on Warner Archives website and did not see it.

TheSteig

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Im getting this one. Three of their announcements today were all in my wheelhouse. Open up the flood gates !! :D

Billy Batson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Never heard of it. Rankin-Bass? Could be good, could be worthless.

Me neither. It seems it was a TV movie that also got a theatrical release in some countries, but not in the UK (according to the IMDB). It doesn't interest me.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Yes this came out shortly after The Last Dinosaur and played in prime time several times. I saw it once when it was originally aired when I was 12 and never forgot it. I forgot the title for years when I searched for it but never the movie. The story is a little corny like most giant creature movies but it also done very serious and has a very haunting quality with music to match this is probably why I never forgot it. I was very happy to finally see it again when WAC released it on DVD 10 years ago.
Will get this day 1. Nice that they added both formats. It was made for TV in US but intended for theatrical in Europe so it would have been protected for Widescreen.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I just pre-ordered this. Worth it for Connie Selica, and an awesome Carl Weathers, who knows what a turkey he is in, and hams it up.

sbjork

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stephen
I ordered the MOD DVD from Warner Archive years ago back when it was originally released, along with The Last Dinosaur. I have never been able to get that disc to play in any device. I was floored when I saw their Blu-ray announcement on Facebook -- never in a million years would I have expected that one to get an upgrade. Can't wait to get mine. I have actually not seen the movie since it first aired in 1978. Revisiting fond childhood memories is always a dicey proposition, but The Last Dinosaur still held up after all these years, so I can't wait to give this disc a go.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
The commentary on this film is awful beyond belief. Amanda Reyes talks rapidly and in a whisper and you can't understand a word she says, and then she loses her credibility when she decides to regale us with all the other programs and TV movies that drew high ratings at the same time Bermuda Depths aired and she mentions the TV-movie "Flying High" and when her partner tries to suggest Connie Sellecca was in that she says no she wasn't. Sellecca WAS in "Flying High" and that included the pilot. It's so infuriating to hear these so-called "experts" who don't know the first thing about what they're talking about.

sbjork

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stephen
For the record, the Blu-ray is stunning. I watched the full frame version rather than the matted version from the European theatrical release, as it looks like it was pretty clearly framed for 1.33:1. (The disc defaults to the full frame version, so clearly WAC felt that the matted version is a bonus feature since that is where it is included.) The image is finely detailed, but is still almost immaculately clean. Someone at the Archive gave this transfer an abundance of TLC, one frame at a time. The colour balance is accurate, with very good contrast & black levels. The opticals are of course softer and grainier than the surrounding material, but that would be baked into the negative and not a fault of the transfer. This is an honest-to-God reference quality disc.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
For the record, the Blu-ray is stunning. I watched the full frame version rather than the matted version from the European theatrical release, as it looks like it was pretty clearly framed for 1.33:1. (The disc defaults to the full frame version, so clearly WAC felt that the matted version is a bonus feature since that is where it is included.) The image is finely detailed, but is still almost immaculately clean. Someone at the Archive gave this transfer an abundance of TLC, one frame at a time. The colour balance is accurate, with very good contrast & black levels. The opticals are of course softer and grainier than the surrounding material, but that would be baked into the negative and not a fault of the transfer. This is an honest-to-God reference quality disc.
Absolutely beautiful picture quality, I agree. The full frame is the way to watch in my opinion.

sbjork

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stephen
Absolutely beautiful picture quality, I agree. The full frame is the way to watch in my opinion.
It is not the kind of movie that I would ever have imagined describing its transfer as "reference quality." But it absolutely is. Given how many companies are perfectly willing to dump tired old masters into the market for movies which are far better known than this one, I would never have guessed this disc would look so good. I suspect that it was a passion project for someone at the Archive. You can see the love in every frame.

Now, if we can get them to remaster The Last Dinosaur with the same kind of TLC, we will really be cooking with gas!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alain A.
Recent bookmarks