battlebeast

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
This was a great film... I was shocked to learn it didn't get a Best Picture nom despite 6 other nominations and winninrg five of them! Instead they gave the BP noms to IVANHOE and MOULIN ROUGE, neither of which were better.

Reactions: Richard M S

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
Hoo- bloody -ray! I love Lana Turner but I'm really eager to watch in high definition ElaIne Stewart stick the knife in with that lethal speech "The picture's finished Georgia. You're business; I'm company. . . . Oh, by the way, I forgot to tell you Georgia, I saw the picture . . . I thought you were swell"
My favorite line from Elaine Stewart's character was what she said to Gaucho below:

Gaucho: He's a great man (Jonathan).

Lila: There ain't no great men, there's only men.

Reactions: PMF and Robin9

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
Do we know if a transfer made for a WA release was ever also used for it's digital release?
The Blu-ray will be derived from a 2019 HD transfer from a 4K scan of the OCN which is not what my HD digital is derived from, it's why I expect a major improvement over what I viewed yesterday on iTunes.

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
It's hit and miss - sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.
I'm still looking for confirmation that iTunes has their HD digitals derived from the same transfers as the Warner Archive Blu-ray releases. I've seen it on previously released Warner Blu-ray titles. However, those Blu-rays weren't released from Warner Archive.

Worth

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I'm still looking for confirmation that iTunes has their HD digitals derived from the same transfers as the Warner Archive Blu-ray releases. I've seen it on previously released Warner Blu-ray titles. However, those Blu-rays weren't released from Warner Archive.
I can't say for certain, but some titles look to be from the same masters - Innocent Blood, Joe Versus the Volcano, Wolfen, Time After Time, The Man with Two Brains. But there are also many that clearly aren't - The Thing From Another World on iTunes is still the same poor, cropped version as before.

Filmgazer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Louis Helman
No one's mentioned the great, modernistic score by David Raksin ("Laura"). It's the driving force of the movie.

My favorite Elaine Stewart line is when she slinks out of Kirk Douglas's bedroom and confronts Lana Turner on the staircase: " By the way, Georgia, I saw the picture. You were swell."

Reactions: PMF

roxy1927

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
vincent parisi
Baffling that the great Gloria Grahame won an Oscar for this film.
Glad to see Elaine Stewart getting so much love. That 'You're business. I'm company.' line is one of the great put downs in movies. And Turner's devastation shows there were moments when she could act. Though she was always a star.

Thomas T

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Baffling that the great Gloria Grahame won an Oscar for this film.
Actually, it's not. Not that she gave a great performance although she's wonderful in the part. But 1952 was a banner year for Grahame. In addition to The Bad And The Beautiful, she gave stellar performances in Sudden Fear, Greatest Show On Earth and Macao. I suspect that Grahame's Oscar was for her collective work in 1952 and she could have gotten nominated for any of those films but Bad And The Beautiful was the one.

Last edited:

Robin9

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Actually, it's not. Not that she gave a great performance although she's wonderful in the part. But 1952 was a banner year for Grahame. In addition to The Bad And The Beautiful, she gave stellar performances Sudden Fear, Greatest Show On Earth and Macao. I suspect that Grahame's Oscar was for her collective work in 1952 and she could have gotten nominated for any of those films but Bad And The Beautiful was the one.
That's an interesting argument. I've always felt Gloria Grahame's performance in The Bad And The Beautiful was nothing special so I'm inclined to accept your theory.

Billy Batson

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Of course what doesn't help is that Gloria Grahame's southern belle character is slightly annoying...as she's supposed to be.

Ha, now I've got David Raksin's main theme going around in my head.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
I think Gloria Grahame's southern accent was a little too thick for somebody from Virginia, but, perhaps that's just me as somebody that visited that state a number of times in my youth I have no problem with Gloria getting an Oscar that year, however, Jean Hagan was really good in "Singin' in the Rain".:)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

As an Amazon Associate Home Theater Forum will earn from qualifying purchases.

I hate to throw away your business, but I have to be honest here...

I don't know what is going on with Amazon and Warner Archive product.

DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK is the latest example of stock issues. It was just released and Amazon is citing 2-3 week delay. Those delays usually turn into months. I am not confident if you order this from Amazon that you will actually receive it on release day.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
badritbneha