What's new

Warner Archive Press Release: Tex Avery Screwball Classics: Volume 2 (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
tex.png

TEX AVERY SCREWBALL CLASSICS - VOLUME 2
New 2020 1080p HD Masters from 4K Scans of best surviving preservation elements!
Run Time: 149:00
Subtitles: English SDH
Audio Specs: DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
Aspect Ratio: 4x3, 1.37:1 Full Frame
Product Color: COLOR
Disc Configuration: BD 50
Special Feature: Documentary "Tex Avery: King of Cartoons"

Welcome back for another three-ring circus of animated comedy from the legendary leader of cartoon fun – director Tex Avery. In the first ring, Avery serves up some of his finest one-shot creations: cartoons featuring cats who hate people, wacky cuckoo clocks, kooky cavemen and lovelorn French fleas. We also meet up again with Avery's attractive Red Riding Hood, a pair of amorous wolves and his durable all-around fall guy, Spike. The second ring is a showcase for Avery's ironically deadpan "Happy Hound": Droopy. This time, Droopy appears in a number of guises – each one funnier than the last. As bandleader "John Pettybone," he leads his jazz-playing fleas to the heights of canine stardom. Out West, as a homesteader and a sheepherder, he has his final showdowns with the Wolf. The third ring offers a whimsical glimpse into the future – or at least a future from the POV of the mid-20th century – with a plethora of zany postwar inventions. While none of the cartoons "of tomorrow" foresaw smartphones or Blu-ray players, these far-fetched contraptions, gadgets, houses and farms, televisions, and various modes of transportation could only come from the madcap mind of Avery and his MGM crew. Uncut, restored and remastered in High Definition for the first time, Tex Avery Screwball Classics Collection Volume 2 is another must-own collection from the master of hand-drawn mayhem.

This 21 cartoon collection includes:
1 LITTLE RURAL RIDING HOOD
2 THE CUCKOO CLOCK
3 MAGICAL MAESTRO
4 ONE CAB'S FAMILY
5 CAT THAT HATED PEOPLE
6 DOGGONE TIRED
7 THE FLEA CIRCUS
8 FIELD AND SCREAM
9 THE FIRST BAD MAN
10 OUT FOXED
11 DROOPY'S DOUBLE TROUBLE
12 THREE LITTLE PUPS
13 DRAGALONG DROOPY
14 HOMESTEADER DROOPY
15 DIXIELAND DROOPY
16 COUNTERFEIT CAT
17 VENTRILOQUIST CAT
18 HOUSE OF TOMORROW
19 CAR OF TOMORROW
20 TV OF TOMORROW
21 FARM OF TOMORROW

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Wasn't Dixieland Droopy, which is my favorite Droopy short made for both full screen and widescreen?
from all the research I have been able to find in the last couple of hours it would seem so, an academy release and a CinemaScope presentation, the question is... if both presentations will be on the disc?

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
from all the research I have been able to find in the last couple of hours it would seem so, an academy release and a CinemaScope presentation, the question is... if both presentations will be on the disc?

I knew there were two different ratios for that short as Cartoon Network back in the 90's showed it ways. The press release says all shorts are all 4:3.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
I kind of figured with the 3 ratio aspects that WA was putting on the Curse of Frankenstein disc Academy, UK Release aspect , and US release aspect, That this would get the same treatment, it may be a typo as in the press releases it states Mister Roberts as being B/W, Uh , that would be a big no. I have faith that if there is a Cinemascope release of the cartoons in question, that George and Co. will make it right, as they possibly can. Better than WB did by not presenting A Man Called Flintstone in HD and edited.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I kind of figured with the 3 ratio aspects that WA was putting on the Curse of Frankenstein disc Academy, UK Release aspect , and US release aspect, That this would get the same treatment, it may be a typo as in the press releases it states Mister Roberts as being B/W, Uh , that would be a big no. I have faith that if there is a Cinemascope release of the cartoons in question, that George and Co. will make it right, as they possibly can. Better than WB did by not presenting A Man Called Flintstone in HD and edited.

The Man Called Flintstone, not A Man. I was a bit surprised to see the film in widescreen from the couple of screen shots I saw in bluray.com's review and not full like it was on TV and DVD.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The Man Called Flintstone was filmed open matte and received a theatrical run in WS (IMDB says the theatrical AR was 1.85:1) with TV and the DVD getting the open matte version. I've normally watched my DVD zoomed in (fills the width but crops top/bottom of the image). The new DVD collection "The Flintstones: 2 Movies & 5 Specials" supposedly has that film in a 1.78:1 AR.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Finally ! Vol.2 is coming ! :biggrin: Tom and Jerry Vol.2 is 8 Years overdue ! :wacko: Popeye the 1950's Vol.1 ?? ;) And Max Fleisher's Superman 1941-1942. Just 17 shorts were made. :)

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
The Man Called Flintstone was filmed open matte and received a theatrical run in WS (IMDB says the theatrical AR was 1.85:1) with TV and the DVD getting the open matte version. I've normally watched my DVD zoomed in (fills the width but crops top/bottom of the image). The new DVD collection "The Flintstones: 2 Movies & 5 Specials" supposedly has that film in a 1.78:1 AR.

I wouldn't take IMDB for gospel, as they're not 100% accurate, but that does sound right.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Finally ! Vol.2 is coming ! :biggrin: Tom and Jerry Vol.2 is 8 Years overdue ! :wacko: Popeye the 1950's Vol.1 ?? ;) And Max Fleisher's Superman 1941-1942. Just 17 shorts were made. :)
Max Fleischer's Superman Blu-ray is on it's way!!!!

think that may make a hell of a lot of Animation Fans extremely happy :D

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Max Fleischer's Superman Blu-ray is on it's way!!!!

think that may make a hell of a lot of Animation Fans extremely happy :D
Yes ! I know. :biggrin: It's coming in May ! :D Finally ! :dancing-banana-04::banana::dance:It's Not WBArchive it's WB Home Video. So I hope these Superman shorts look as good as the Popeye and Tex Avery Bluray's. I hope Adventures of Superman 1951-1958 is coming also this year for the 85th Anniversary of Superman. :D
A SUPERMAN 1941.jpg
A SUPERMAN 1955.jpg

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Yes ! I know. :biggrin: It's coming in May ! :D Finally ! :dancing-banana-04::banana::dance:It's Not WBArchive it's WB Home Video. So I hope these Superman shorts look as good as the Popeye and Tex Avery Bluray's. I hope Adventures of Superman 1951-1958 is coming also this year for the 85th Anniversary of Superman. :D View attachment 177978 View attachment 177979
Don't sell it short brother, you left out the theatrical serials collection I want them and high def too!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
A bit more specific to the OP's post, there are enough remaining Avery toons to fill two more volumes, if the older Warner Bros. titles are included. I will hope for "Of Fox and Hounds," a childhood favorite., heretofore only included on the imported edition of the Avery laser disc box set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks