What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Press Release: Sweet Bird of Youth (1962) (Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
New 2020 1080p master!
SWEET BIRD OF YOUTH (1962)
Run Time 120:00
Subtitles English SDH
Audio Specs DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
Aspect Ratio 2.35:1, 16 X 9 LETTERBOX
Product Color COLOR
Disc Configuration BD 50
Special Features: "Sweet Bird of Youth: Chasing Time" Featurette; Vintage Rip Torn and Geraldine page Screen Test; Theatrical Trailer (HD)

Handsome Chance Wayne never found the Hollywood stardom he craved, but he’s always been a star with the ladies. Now, back in his sleepy, sweaty Gulf Coast hometown, he’s involved with two of them: a washed-up, drug-and-vodka-addled movie queen and the girl he left behind…and in trouble. Paul Newman, Best Actress Oscar® nominee Geraldine Page, Rip Torn and Madeleine Sherwood re-create their stage roles, and Ed Begley gives an Oscar®-winning* portrayal as the town’s corrupt political boss in a bravura film version of Tennessee Williams’ Broadway hit. Sex. Money. Hypocrisy. Financial and emotional blackmail. Familiar elements of Williams’ literary realm combine powerfully as Chance battles his private demons in a desperate bid to redeem his wasted life and recapture his lost sweet bird of youth.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
There's one in every crowd. Give 'em cake and they want pie!

Ha, that must be me. I'm not complaining, just nothing for me this month (& six films, I'm obviously just too picky, where's that pie?), & if there's two words that get me running for the hills, it's Tennessee & Williams.

...I like the new photo, a smile is always better :)

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I've been anticipating this WAC release for a good long time...I first saw this great film on Canadian TV circa 1966, and it aired uncut, as opposed to it's later American network TV premiere airing which had a few strategic edits for the "provocative adult" content...which was shocking enough at the time, at least in our household...as I was only 10 at the time, the imagery of Ed Begley's face contorted with rage, his wild eyebrows rippling and his clenched teeth snarling as he perpetrates his truly awful and evil acts, has always stayed with me. Ed Begley was also seen frequently as a guest star on TV shows I watched during the '60s...QM's The Fugitive, The FBI, The Invaders among others, and more often than not as a sympathetic good guy. But I always treated him with suspicion, ever ready to expect the true visceral evil to emerge, ha, ha...but that's what his shockingly evil 'Boss Finley' character in Sweet Bird of Youth did to my tender and delicate 10 year old psyche...the whole cast is great too, and the case could be made that Geraldine Page was robbed of her Oscar in the drama filled and darkly hilarious Oscar ceremony in early 1963...about a year after the film's theatrical debut, and surely that didn't help her case in the voting process...

968full-sweet-bird-of-youth-screenshot.jpg

4794e97714a268c4bebc43134293882f.jpg

16b3e37a255e7ffa6e6c30240f7da32c.png

eb1adbb44fdd9fba90d89022becae3e7.jpg

rmQVv2dCSJJIJTGODwZbKTHyMQ8fu0Fl1HM5eGn_07sAbK58FdOtRSqTKyxMhDYSHsyF8nNXzQXIjTA_KxqwrrBYmZnJpu4G7dbzfAIQQ_0STbYo6OerJu3L3_OMVCMN8Gjz

MV5BZDNkYjFiYmUtN2FlNS00ZmI1LWI3NDctMTI1YjU0Mzg0NjdjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUxODE0MDY@._V1_.jpg

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I havent seen any of the 6 movies announced, but there are some Id be willing to try. I think for some, if it doesn't replace a DVD, its a bad month. In that sense, none of my Warner DVDs are being retired but I might wind up adding a few newbies, if I check out what they announced. Im really hoping for more Gangster films from the 30s and Noirs from the 40s..

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I havent seen any of the 6 movies announced, but there are some Id be willing to try. I think for some, if it doesn't replace a DVD, its a bad month. In that sense, none of my Warner DVDs are being retired but I might wind up adding a few newbies, if I check out what they announced. Im really hoping for more Gangster films from the 30s and Noirs from the 40s..

Different strokes for different folks. For me, it's a bad month if there aren't any never saw the light of day on DVD titles. In that sense, only Action Of The Tiger qualifies though five of the announced titles are immediate buys.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Different strokes for different folks. For me, it's a bad month if there aren't any never saw the light of day on DVD titles. In that sense, only Action Of The Tiger qualifies though five of the announced titles are immediate buys.
Everyone is different. I am for never released on home video before as long as they mix it up with titles people have been requesting for a long time...WAC does try to fill the needs but they are slow at it. Did anyone ever request Action of the Tiger ?? Few if any but its new to home video, so its bound to make a few collectors happy. Wait til next month !!! :D

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Typical. I just bought the DVD which of course is a surefire way of ensuring the Blu-ray is released :)
Yeah, a year ago, I bought the HD digital from iTunes for $4.99 and never watched it.:rolleyes: Now, a Blu-ray with a better transfer is coming out next month.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I watched a show on interesting celebrity homes, and they showed a home with solar paneling and eco friendly this and that. Of interest to me was when the home’s host pointed out in the sitting room that “not every home has an Oscar on the mantle.”

Ed Begely Jr. was showing off his Father’s Supporting Trophy for SWEET BIRD OF YOUTH.

I’ll be getting this one!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks