What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Press Release: Six by Sondheim (2013) (Blu-ray) (2 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1610389593495.png

SIX BY SONDHEIM (2013)

Run Time 86:00
Subtitles English SDH
Audio Specs DTS HD-Master Audio 5.1 - English
Aspect Ratio 1.78:1; 16 X 9 Widescreen
Product Color COLOR
Disc Configuration BD 25

From award-winning director and frequent Sondheim collaborator James Lapine, Six by Sondheim is an intimate and candid look at the life and art of legendary composer-lyricist Stephen Sondheim, who redefined musical theater through such works as Company, Sweeney Todd and Sunday in the Park with George. Told primarily in Sondheim’s own words from dozens of interviews spanning decades, the film is a highly personal profile of a great American artist as revealed through the creation and performance of six of his songs. It features rarely seen archival performance footage and original staged productions – created exclusively for this film – with stars including Audra McDonald, Darren Criss, America Ferrera and more.

Attachments

• 1610389437867.png
    1610389437867.png
    988.4 KB · Views: 89

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The excerpts from Merrily We Roll Along produced for Six by Sondheim just make one itch for it to be done in its entirety!

Reactions: PMF

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
To think I was one of the lucky ones to actually see the original B'way production of Merrily We Roll Along!
Decades later, I met one of the cast members because she's married to Ben Model, he who accompanies so many silent films. I was having lunch with him and her when I mentioned to her how much I adored Sondheim. Well, she told me that so did she, and that she had been in the original production of Merrily... and how she had kept in touch with most of the cast members (some very close friends to this day). It was a very enjoyable lunch!

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
To think I was one of the lucky ones to actually see the original B'way production of Merrily We Roll Along!
Decades later, I met one of the cast members because she's married to Ben Model, he who accompanies so many silent films. I was having lunch with him and her when I mentioned to her how much I adored Sondheim. Well, she told me that so did she, and that she had been in the original production of Merrily... and how she had kept in touch with most of the cast members (some very close friends to this day). It was a very enjoyable lunch!
I saw it as well. I'll never forget it. I was about to say, we may have been at the same show, but I think I saw it in previews.

Reactions: PMF

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I saw it as well. I'll never forget it. I was about to say, we may have been at the same show, but I think I saw it in previews.
I saw it during its very brief run of 16 (?) performances. It's such a devastating show as you watch the characters grow backwards into the great expectations, the illusions and the dreams of youth that you know have been shattered.
I was shattered by the end of the show.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
matt - check out the IMDB listing for Merilly We Roll Along.
Oh, I know all about that, but who knows if I'll even be alive by the time that version is completed? I wish we could get a filmed stage version where make-up is used for the aging process rather than letting nature take its own toll on the actors.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Oh, I know all about that, but who knows if I'll even be alive by the time that version is completed? I wish we could get a filmed stage version where make-up is used for the aging process rather than letting nature take its own toll on the actors.
I'll be 71 this year. Chances are...

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
I was a new-to-New York Broadway Baby back then, and made a habit seeing shows numerous times during previews, so I could learn from the masters. After five viewings of MERRILY the thing I learned is that sometimes one just needs to cut one's losses. The score, of course, was sheer genius, but Hal Prince just couldn't make it any more than a high school musical on steroids. The kids were very talented, and many went on to have great careers, but at that point they simply weren't believable as jaded adults.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I think in that marvelous documentary on the making of the stage musical, Hal Prince himself admits the material conquered him; he didn't know how to make it work.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I saw Merrily twice during its short run.
great cast, but a production that looked like every expense had been spared.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks