What's new

gjn123

Grip
Real Name
Brendan Brennan
GREAT to finally see this on Blu. Can't wait to get my hands on this one. I had an adolescent crush on Kathryn Grayson & met her while she was in "Camelot" on Broadway. She was very kind to a 17 year old fan with a crush.

Rick2Hot

Auditioning
Real Name
Terry Behm
This is super GREAT. Been waiting a long time for this. I have the DVD but does not look too great on my 85" Sony. Hope the audio is top notch. Day 1 for sure.

Reactions: PMF

filmnoirguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lon Cross
MGM's Show Boat (1951) is not only my favorite of the 3 versions, it's also my favorite movie musical period. I have the original cast album handed down from my mom with Ava Gardner doing her own vocals. It would be too terrific if we were able to choose between Ava's and Annette's singing, as Matt suggested. Either way, I'm placing my order today. Cheers~~

Taylor * D

Agent
Real Name
Taylor
Can anyone who watched the Laserdisc confirm if the stereo track is any good? Did it utilize original audio stems? Show Boat '51 is one of my favourite MGM musicals but this is the first I've heard of it in stereo. Oh, and I'm very excited. Day 1, easy.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
How fantastic, after waiting so long ... ever since Warners first promised years ago a release of all three versions in one set. Now for Two Weeks with Love and Three Little Words! Keep them coming......

Now we need a release date ...

Rick2Hot

Auditioning
Real Name
Terry Behm
If Show Boat is not enough now we get "On Moonlight Bay" in Technicolor with also a 4K scan what a month.. Now WB we need "By The Light of the Silvery Moon" also a super Technicolor film with Doris Day. WB your doing a super job.

Rick2Hot

Auditioning
Real Name
Terry Behm
How fantastic, after waiting so long ... ever since Warners first promised years ago a release of all three versions in one set. Now for Two Weeks with Love and Three Little Words! Keep them coming......

Now we need a release date ...
Feb. 9th, 2021

KPmusmag

Premium
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Can anyone who watched the Laserdisc confirm if the stereo track is any good? Did it utilize original audio stems? Show Boat '51 is one of my favourite MGM musicals but this is the first I've heard of it in stereo. Oh, and I'm very excited. Day 1, easy.

I thought the laserdisc stereo sounded great and I was really disappointed they didn't include that on the DVD. (I do not know how they achieved it - I assume they used the multi-angle recordings as they did with Meet Me in St Louis).

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
It's very good; to my ears it's far superior to the mono audio which is present on the DVD. From what I remember reading of the liner notes of the laserdisc, they did use original audio stems to fashion that stereo track.

Vern Dias

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Theodore V Dias
Can anyone who watched the Laserdisc confirm if the stereo track is any good?
Yes, it's quite good. By 1952, magnetic recording technologies were in common use, so the frequency response is fairly wide with good dynamic range and low distortion.

Last edited:

KPmusmag

Premium
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
These releases are all wonderful news but I have to wonder how George Feltenstein being laid off from Warners is going to affect product from Warner Archive. I'm trying not to allow the pessimist in me see it as a "last hurrah".

I remember Mr. Feltenstein's name back to the glory days of laserdisc box sets. I believe his last day is Feb 19th. I can't believe they are letting him go.

ColbyCo82

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
Last I heard some add’l audio may have surfaced, but don’t believe it’s complete.
The late Ron Hutchinson of the Vitaphone Project owned the missing sound discs. Ive pasted a Facebook message he posted several years ago on the topic:

Ron Hutchinson
I own the two additional Vitaphone disks, for previously missing reels 9 and 11, and have made them available to Warner Bros. Considering the incredible number of restorations that the studio is already doing, and will one day do for the '29 SHOWBOAT, my advice is to be thankful for all their efforts, and to be patient on SHOWBOAT. It will happen. TCM als play dozens of early talkies every month. The TCM FB site is the best place for folks to put in suggestions, via message.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
These releases are all wonderful news but I have to wonder how George Feltenstein being laid off from Warners is going to affect product from Warner Archive. I'm trying not to allow the pessimist in me see it as a "last hurrah".

I remember Mr. Feltenstein's name back to the glory days of laserdisc box sets. I believe his last day is Feb 19th. I can't believe they are letting him go.

I think for now there won’t be too big a change. I read that 2020 was the Archive’s most successful year. So it could be that converting him to consultant status is part of maximizing the profitablity of the Archive during the COVID economy, rather than a sign of its (imminent) demise. After all, that would mean they will probably save on payroll taxes, certain benefit costs, worker’s compensation insurance, etc. I think if they were winding down we’d have seen diminished announcements over the last 2-3 months.

At least, I hope this is the case.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
MGM's Show Boat (1951) is not only my favorite of the 3 versions, it's also my favorite movie musical period. I have the original cast album handed down from my mom with Ava Gardner doing her own vocals. It would be too terrific if we were able to choose between Ava's and Annette's singing, as Matt suggested. Either way, I'm placing my order today. Cheers~~
I've always preferred this version to the Universal, which I also own. Production values are bar none exceptional. And Ava Gardner is heartbreaking here. I think Grayson was a tad too old to reprise Magnolia, she did it first in Till The Clouds Roll By, and looked the part of the ingenue then. She's still in fine voice, but much too adult to be believed as the naive 'green' girl whose heart is captivated by the scandalous Gaylord. Otherwise, this Show Boat's a comin' to my home video on a day one purchase!!!! Can't wait.

Gerani53

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gary Gerani
Toast of New Orleans and That Midnight Kiss first, pretty please!
I won't say no to that, especially if they're three-strip Technicolor releases. FOR THE FIRST TIME would also fall into that pre-1955 category.

TallPaulInKy

Agent
Real Name
Paul W Urbahns
I wish they had put the 1936 version on there as a bonus. the 1936 is widely accepted as the best and most faithful of three screen versions of the Jerome Kern-Oscar Hammerstein II musical. As the DVD market shrinks, seems like putting "alternate" versions on the release would sweeten the pie.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I wish they had put the 1936 version on there as a bonus. the 1936 is widely accepted as the best and most faithful of three screen versions of the Jerome Kern-Oscar Hammerstein II musical. As the DVD market shrinks, seems like putting "alternate" versions on the release would sweeten the pie.
The '36 version was released by Criterion last March

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors