1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Press Release Warner Archive Press Release: Shazam (1974-1977) (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Robert Crawford, Sep 18, 2019.

1. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

The whole "Hallmark detested these shows and destroyed the masters" thing is pre-internet, though.

2. Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad Cinematographer

Brad
    Well folks, Amazon is back to their usual p—-ing contest with Warner.

I carted a copy (using the provided link on this thread) yesterday with a release date of Oct 7th. Today it shows up as “Currently Unavailable”.

3. Message #23 of 27 Sep 21, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    The deal was made in 1995 and the Internet was around then. I know because that was the first year my Dad let me use it in his office.

This is unlike the Universal fire, which was criminal negligence but never proven to be deliberate. Hallmark wasn't the only non-fan* because apparently the news was greeted with schadenfreude in some quarters of the animation industry (read: insider-inclusive Facebook groups years after the fact). Still, they hampered the ability of anyone entitled to money to get any money out of the shows. Why was there never a lawsuit over it? What else did they destroy?

*Happy now, Animaniacs? If WB ever has trouble remastering you in HD because someone pinched pennies at the expense of negatives (Spielberg forbid), don't come crying to me.

4. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

I guess what I meant to say, then, was this was before the internet was mainstream.

As for why Hallmark did some of the things they did, it helps to know that while they were syndicating these shows outside of the USA, they were flagrantly not paying any royalties to those entitled to receive them (namely, the writers).

There was a lawsuit (filed by the WGA), and the WGA won, mainly on the strength of the printed and videotaped evidence I supplied to Russell Bates (who had a personal interest in prevailing).

MatthewA likes this.
  5. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    I saw that too. I’m just going to order from Warner. I’ve had enough. Fuck Amazon.

6. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    I hate to say it, but I'm starting to like eBay better now that they let you buy stuff without an account.

7. Mark Tay

Mark Tay Stunt Coordinator

Mark
    Great news! I'm so glad Warner decided for a physical media release. For a while there, I was worried that it would be streaming only.

I wonder if the Blu-ray will include this restoration doc as an extra...