What's new

Warner Archive Press Release: Sergeant York (1941) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

PatrickDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Patrick
Gary Cooper had good competition for Best Actor Oscar and he did win. I liked Walter Huston's performance as Mr. Scratch.

GARY COOPER
Sergeant York

CARY GRANT
Penny Serenade

WALTER HUSTON
All That Money Can Buy

ROBERT MONTGOMERY
Here Comes Mr. Jordan

ORSON WELLES
Citizen Kane

Orson should've won in a landslide. But Americans often prefer the reverse snob anti-arts "less or more" approach to acting.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
I will put some thought into a purchase. That's an uneasy recommendation.

BTW, so happy to see these titles leaked before the Facebook announcements.

Warner takes an entire day to announce their lineup and it's really discouraging -- especially for someone like me that has to check back every hour for a new entry (and they take hour breaks in-between some of the announcements).

They should just either announce all their titles in one shot or allow Amazon to leak them. So much easier to compile all of them. I think we have all the titles announced for this month.

Has WAC confirmed that the four titles (Sergeant York, Drop Dead Gorgeous, Reversal Of Fortune and Space Ghost And DIno Boy) are going to be all their new-to-blu releases for October? I only ask since it would seem like the other three titles with new transfers on HBO should have a shot (unless they are being held back for November, or something). I do realize (as I have mentioned a number of times) that the pandemic has affected how much they can release, which is why I am checking.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Has WAC confirmed that the four titles (Sergeant York, Drop Dead Gorgeous, Reversal Of Fortune and Space Ghost And DIno Boy) are going to be all their new-to-blu releases for October? I only ask since it would seem like the other three titles with new transfers on HBO should have a shot (unless they are being held back for November, or something). I do realize (as I have mentioned a number of times) that the pandemic has affected how much they can release, which is why I am checking.

No, they have not confirmed. They won't confirm until the 15th or 22nd of this month. There could be an additional title announced as I believe they have announced five titles before.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
With “Sergeant York” now at hand, one can only hope that WAC will follow-up with “The Pride of the Yankees” (1942).

Last edited:

Daniel Melius

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
Reminds me of Mr. Brennan’s wonderful line from this film...

”Ever been bit by a dead bee?”

Love this film. Ties in nicely with the color version, Friendly Persuasion.
Friendly Persuasion is my next Gary Cooper warner brothers hopeful blu ray release. It also would be another William Wyler title to add to peoples collection and did get nominated for an Academy award for best picture. Gary cooper made about eight movies for warner brothers but sergeant York, the hanging tree and friendly persuation are without a doubt his best three from Warner. The dvd was released very early from warner in 1998 and looked in pretty rough shape for blu ray. I would say it would need a full restoration for blu ray release.

Last edited:

Daniel Melius

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
With “Sergeant York” now at hand, one can only hope that WAC will follow-up with “The Pride of the Yankees” (1942).
I forgot that Warner expanded its Gary Cooper library after getting MGM. Quite a few more than 8 GC titles owned by warner now. The Westerner with Walter Brennon is my favorite title that Warner picked up followed by Ball of Fire. With Pittsburgh being my closest big city I am in no ways a New York Yankees fan or even much of a baseball fan these days. The Steelers beating the Giants tomorrow on Monday night Football would be my thing these days. Yet Gary Cooper did have an Oscar nominated performance in Pride of the Yankees and i would most certainly pick it up for that if it gets released on blu ray in the future.

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I agree completely about Friendly Persuasion. It's a wonderful movie and has long been in need of an upgrade. The DVD is tolerable, and that's about it.

Real Name
Benjamin Burke
What are the other three titles with new transfers on HBO? Thank you!

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
What are the other three titles with new transfers on HBO? Thank you!

Tennessee Johnson (1942)
Life With Father (1947)
Sunrise at Campobello (1960)

I forgot that Warner expanded its Gary Cooper library after getting MGM. Quite a few more than 8 GC titles owned by warner now. The Westerner with Walter Brennon is my favorite title that Warner picked up followed by Ball of Fire. With Pittsburgh being my closest big city I am in no ways a New York Yankees fan or even much of a baseball fan these days. The Steelers beating the Giants tomorrow on Monday night Football would be my thing these days. Yet Gary Cooper did have an Oscar nominated performance in Pride of the Yankees and i would most certainly pick it up for that if it gets released on blu ray in the future.

Warner actually got Pride of the Yankees through their acquisition of the Samuel Goldwyn library (nothing to do with their ownership of most of the MGM library). I have a feeling we may be waiting a while for a restored version of this film, though they are starting to do more with the Goldwyn library (what with their release of Dodsworth earlier this year) so perhaps not.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I will put some thought into a purchase. That's an uneasy recommendation.

BTW, so happy to see these titles leaked before the Facebook announcements.

Warner takes an entire day to announce their lineup and it's really discouraging -- especially for someone like me that has to check back every hour for a new entry (and they take hour breaks in-between some of the announcements).

They should just either announce all their titles in one shot or allow Amazon to leak them. So much easier to compile all of them. I think we have all the titles announced for this month.
If you're not sure, Ron, iTunes has this on sale at times for $4.99 (I picked it up back in May). For that price, it may be worth the gamble. Personally, I like the film, but it's not one of my favorites. So the streaming version is good enough for me.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you're not sure, Ron, iTunes has this on sale at times for $4.99 (I picked it up back in May). For that price, it may be worth the gamble. Personally, I like the film, but it's not one of my favorites. So the streaming version is good enough for me.
Just to be clear, I expect this upcoming BD to look much better than my iTunes digital. However, I get your point about the $4.99 investment for a blind buy and those that don't consider this movie a favorite.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
NEW 2020 1080p master from 4K scan of best surviving nitrate elements!
SERGEANT YORK (1941)
Run Time 134:00
Subtitles English SDH
Audio Specs DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English, MONO - English
Aspect Ratio 1.37:1, 4 X 3 FULL FRAME
Product Color BLACK & WHITE
Disc Configuration BD 50
Special Features: Commentary by Film Historian Jeanine Basinger; Making of Featurette "Sergeant York: Of God and Country"; Classic Cartoon "Porky's Preview"; Vintage Short "Lions for Sale"; Theatrical re-issue trailer (HD).

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Pride of the Yankees Is a great film. I really like it. I'd love to see it on Blu. Another Goldwyn film I'd love to see is Wurthering Heights.

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Pride of the Yankees Is a great film. I really like it. I'd love to see it on Blu. Another Goldwyn film I'd love to see is Wurthering Heights.
On the vintage front, my Top 5 WAC BD hopefuls are:

The Good Earth
Goodbye, Mr Chips
Johnny Belinda
Pride of the Yankees
Wurthering Heights

In the meantime, though, WAC has done a tremendous job in satisfactorily distracting me from my wish-list with their equally enticing offerings, selections and output. No doubts here, as I’ve been more than glad to have followed their lead.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks