What's new

roxy1927

Second Unit
Real Name
vincent parisi
So Charade is still in the public domain as well? If a film goes into public domain it is permanent? A studio can no longer renew the rights once they have lapsed?

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
So Charade is still in the public domain as well? If a film goes into public domain it is permanent? A studio can no longer renew the rights once they have lapsed?
I believe the North American rights to It's A Wonderful Life have been obtained by Paramount. But I'm guessing the lawyer's fees helped to pay for several houses.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I believe the North American rights to It's A Wonderful Life have been obtained by Paramount. But I'm guessing the lawyer's fees helped to pay for several houses.
Paramount owns the negative through various mergers. They obtained the rights to the original short story the film was based on, which was still under copyright. The also obtained the rights to the music used in the film. Paramount then defended its copyright of the film and succeeded in removing all public domain home video tapes and got TV stations to stop showing the film. Paramount then made an exclusive deal with NBC to show the film. The copyright to the film itself was not renewed when it expired in about 1974 and went into public domain. However as Paramount owns the rights to the story, the film can't be shown without making a deal with Paramount.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Once a movie goes into public domain it is permanent. However as with "It's A Wonderful Life" there are ways to obtain the underlying rights to the story the film is based on, or the music in the film. While the film itself is in public domain, you still need permission of the copyright holder(s) of parts of the film the are still under copyright.

It's a lot cleaner when books go into public domain. You don't need to find a good copy and there are fewer underlying rights. The characters become available for new stories to be told. Just remember while "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz" by Frank Baum is in public domain the MGM film is not. Anything unique to the MGM film like the ruby slippers or the farm hands in Kansas being characters in Oz can't be used. So the slippers will be silver in any story you chose to write about Dorothy and her friends. In 2031, the novel "Gone With The Wind" fall into public domain in the USA. Parts of the article are out of date as copyright protection of music was extended in the EU countries. Recordings made after 1962 were extended.

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
So are Warner Archive podcasts officially over with Mr. Feltenstein leaving the company? Email announcing new releases today has a link to the podcasts but the last new one was December 8th.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thank Goodness Warner Archive is giving us another old golden MGM oldie following on from Waterloo Bridge Pride & Prejudice & Mortal Storm .... - this is a special film that lets hope today's modern "noir" fraternity - the mainstay of old films - buy this to keep the fire burning for more of MGM's golden oldies that are sumptuously produced and old fashioned - but great entertainment ..so many ...Goodbye Mr Chips, Random Harvest, Blossoms in the Dust (never given respect inspite of Best Film nomination) , Boom Town, Boys Town, Captains Courageous, Great Ziegfeld, Idiot's Delight, Maytime, Escape, Great Waltz, Camille, Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde, 30 Seconds over Tokyo, Green Dolphin Street, A Date with Judy, Lassie Come Home & National Velvet, 3 Godfathers, Little Women, Three Musketeers, more musicals ..Annie get your Gun, Three Little Words, & Student Prince and Interrupted Melody (both need restoration for full stereo & scope), High Scoiety (where is the blu ray?) & new Goodbye Mr Chips
plus many color 1950's ....Lili, Escape Fort Bravo, Scaramouche, Young Bess, Wings of Eagles, Ivanhoe, Knights of the Round Table, Prisoner of Zenda, King Solomon's Mines, Mogambo (needs restoration) Last time I saw Paris, and Ryan's Daughter and will we ver get Raintree Country (problematic sure but something is better than never).

With so many "weaker" Warner films making it to Blu Ray (Doris Day's lesser early Warner musicals) one wonders if their ownership of MGM product is regarded as valuable.....

Whatever - the company has given us the best most consistent upgrades of great masterpieces (GWTW Oz Ben Hur...) as many minor gems as well. Thank you WARNER ARCHIVE.
That’s a great list of titles. I would love to see blu rays of The Prisoner of Zenda, Random Harvest, 30 Seconds Over Tokyo. And when this thread started, I was wondering about Mogambo.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
So are Warner Archive podcasts officially over with Mr. Feltenstein leaving the company? Email announcing new releases today has a link to the podcasts but the last new one was December 8th.

He’s staying on indefinitely as a consultant. No word yet on the podcast either way as best I can tell.

richardburton84

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack
That’s a great list of titles. I would love to see blu rays of The Prisoner of Zenda, Random Harvest, 30 Seconds Over Tokyo. And when this thread started, I was wondering about Mogambo.

Depending on which version of Zenda you’re referring to, the 1937 version (my personal preference) regrettably is temporarily off limits due to elements issues, as was revealed in the podcast.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The 1937 Ronald Coleman edition of course! I’m not familiar with this podcast, so I wasn’t aware of issues with the elements.

richardburton84

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack
Yes, in the podcast, Mr. Feltenstein responded to an inquiry I made about the film saying that both the negative and the second generation dupe are lost and that they’ll have to scour archives across the globe for better elements (which had yet to begin at the time of the response back in October, but that may have changed since then).

Harold Chasen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
Just remember while "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz" by Frank Baum is in public domain the MGM film is not. Anything unique to the MGM film like the ruby slippers or the farm hands in Kansas being characters in Oz can't be used. So the slippers will be silver in any story you chose to write about Dorothy and her friends.

This indeed happened in the Broadway musical Wicked. (Presumably the book of Wicked as well, but I haven't read it). It caused audible consternation in the audience - "Why are they saying silver slippers? Don't they mean ruby slippers?" The show managed to slip in a few sly references to lines in the movie, but that's all they were allowed. As you say, anything that exists in the movie but not in the books was off limits.

Reactions: PMF

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Jack. Hopefully, there is movement going on to prepare Zenda for remastering. I have the old DVD and I thought it was watchable for now.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

RobertMG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Thank Goodness Warner Archive is giving us another old golden MGM oldie following on from Waterloo Bridge Pride & Prejudice & Mortal Storm .... - this is a special film that lets hope today's modern "noir" fraternity - the mainstay of old films - buy this to keep the fire burning for more of MGM's golden oldies that are sumptuously produced and old fashioned - but great entertainment ..so many ...Goodbye Mr Chips, Random Harvest, Blossoms in the Dust (never given respect inspite of Best Film nomination) , Boom Town, Boys Town, Captains Courageous, Great Ziegfeld, Idiot's Delight, Maytime, Escape, Great Waltz, Camille, Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde, 30 Seconds over Tokyo, Green Dolphin Street, A Date with Judy, Lassie Come Home & National Velvet, 3 Godfathers, Little Women, Three Musketeers, more musicals ..Annie get your Gun, Three Little Words, & Student Prince and Interrupted Melody (both need restoration for full stereo & scope), High Scoiety (where is the blu ray?) & new Goodbye Mr Chips
plus many color 1950's ....Lili, Escape Fort Bravo, Scaramouche, Young Bess, Wings of Eagles, Ivanhoe, Knights of the Round Table, Prisoner of Zenda, King Solomon's Mines, Mogambo (needs restoration) Last time I saw Paris, and Ryan's Daughter and will we ver get Raintree Country (problematic sure but something is better than never).

With so many "weaker" Warner films making it to Blu Ray (Doris Day's lesser early Warner musicals) one wonders if their ownership of MGM product is regarded as valuable.....

Whatever - the company has given us the best most consistent upgrades of great masterpieces (GWTW Oz Ben Hur...) as many minor gems as well. Thank you WARNER ARCHIVE.
Got the laserdisc of Lassie Come Home and Roddy M signed it! Got How Green Was My Valley and both he and Maureen O'Hara signed it!

Richard M S

Supporting Actor
I really hope this leads to more Clark Gable films on bluray. After all he was known as "The King" During this year of the pandemic, my increased movie watching has been brightened by watching - and really enjoying - his films.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guardyan