What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Press Release: San Francisco (1936) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Oh man! The last few months Warner Archive has been knocking it out of the park for me! MISTER ROBERTS, LIBELED LADY, TALE OF TWO CITIES, SERGEANT YORK, REVERSAL OF FORTUNE... man! So many titles helping me complete my collection!

very happy with this one. I had never seen this film until I watched it when I viewed all (at the time) 494 best pic noms in 365 days. I enjoyed it then, and have since seen it again. Looking forward to this one!!

Last edited:

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Hey where's the Lubitsch The Merry Widow one of the most beautifully photographed and lavish films of all time? I'd like to think the nitrate elements were preserved but I kind of doubt it.

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
Hey where's the Lubitsch The Merry Widow one of the most beautifully photographed and lavish films of all time? I'd like to think the nitrate elements were preserved but I kind of doubt it.
I agree and would also like to add The Great Waltz 1938 - Joseph Ruttenberg won the Academy Award for Best Cinematography for this film and it was richly deserved. It's stunning.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I just bought the HD digital on iTunes, so I'm sure a Blu-ray will be announced next month. ;)

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
So how does it look? And why does the cast and crew not include Fifi D'Orsay who I got to meet a couple of times when I was a kid and got to see Follies? I really didn't know anything about her but had I known the film and her involvement I would have wanted to know all about the production and Lubitsch.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
So how does it look? And why does the cast and crew not include Fifi D'Orsay who I got to meet a couple of times when I was a kid and got to see Follies? I really didn't know anything about her but had I known the film and her involvement I would have wanted to know all about the production and Lubitsch.
Yes, Fifi and Follies. Unforgettable, and I didn't even know who she was at the time. But the memory lingers on.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I hope you're right, but the wording of the press release suggests something lower down the line but still better than a print.

Even if it’s not negative, it should be more than fine. I’ve reviewed maybe half a dozen Warner Archive titles since November that didn’t have original negative and they were all fantastic.

M90GM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JUSTIN
View attachment 85727
NEW 2021 1080p HD master from nitrate preservation elements!

SAN FRANCISCO (1936)
Run Time 115:00
Subtitles English SDH
Audio Specs DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English, MONO - English
Aspect Ratio 1.37:1
Product Color BLACK & WHITE
Disc Configuration BD 50
Special Features: Alternate Ending Sequence; "Clark Gable: Tall, Dark and Handsome" featurette with Liam Neeson; two vintage FitzPatrick Traveltalks: 'Cavalcade of San Francisoco' & 'Night Descends on Treasure Island'; Classic Cartoon 'Bottles"; Theatrical re-issue trailer (HD)

Romantic drama combines with humor, starpower combines with lavish spectacle and the walls come tumbling down! This Academy Award-winning extravaganza’s street-splitting, brick-cascading, fire-raging recreation of the cataclysmic earthquake remains "one of the greatest action sequences in the history of the cinema, rivalling the chariot race in both Ben-Hurs" (Adrian Turner, Time Out Film Guide).
Clark Gable plays rakish Barbary Coast kingpin Blackie Norton. Jeanette MacDonald portrays a singer torn by her love for Blackie and her need to succeed among the operagoing elite. Earning the first of nine career Best Actor Oscar® nominations,* Spencer Tracy is a priest who supplements spiritual advice with a mean right hook. He urges Blackie to change. But if love and religion can't reform Blackie, Mother Nature will.
Thank Goodness Warner Archive is giving us another old golden MGM oldie following on from Waterloo Bridge Pride & Prejudice & Mortal Storm .... - this is a special film that lets hope today's modern "noir" fraternity - the mainstay of old films - buy this to keep the fire burning for more of MGM's golden oldies that are sumptuously produced and old fashioned - but great entertainment ..so many ...Goodbye Mr Chips, Random Harvest, Blossoms in the Dust (never given respect inspite of Best Film nomination) , Boom Town, Boys Town, Captains Courageous, Great Ziegfeld, Idiot's Delight, Maytime, Escape, Great Waltz, Camille, Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde, 30 Seconds over Tokyo, Green Dolphin Street, A Date with Judy, Lassie Come Home & National Velvet, 3 Godfathers, Little Women, Three Musketeers, more musicals ..Annie get your Gun, Three Little Words, & Student Prince and Interrupted Melody (both need restoration for full stereo & scope), High Scoiety (where is the blu ray?) & new Goodbye Mr Chips
plus many color 1950's ....Lili, Escape Fort Bravo, Scaramouche, Young Bess, Wings of Eagles, Ivanhoe, Knights of the Round Table, Prisoner of Zenda, King Solomon's Mines, Mogambo (needs restoration) Last time I saw Paris, and Ryan's Daughter and will we ver get Raintree Country (problematic sure but something is better than never).

With so many "weaker" Warner films making it to Blu Ray (Doris Day's lesser early Warner musicals) one wonders if their ownership of MGM product is regarded as valuable.....

Whatever - the company has given us the best most consistent upgrades of great masterpieces (GWTW Oz Ben Hur...) as many minor gems as well. Thank you WARNER ARCHIVE.

Last edited:

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Wait a minute you left out Till the Crowds Roll By my favorite of the composer bios simply because of its Technicolor lavishness and one great musical performance after another. The story is dull but they always are. It was some kind of law.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Wait a minute you left out Till the Crowds Roll By my favorite of the composer bios simply because of its Technicolor lavishness and one great musical performance after another. The story is dull but they always are. It was some kind of law.

That film’s public domain status may negatively affect its chances of getting a Blu-ray release. In one of the podcasts, George Feltenstein mentioned a certain hesitancy towards releasing public domain films (added to the fact that we’re still waiting on a Blu-ray release of Life with Father, which has already been restored and is streaming on HBOMAX.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Like Charade isn't Clouds again privately owned?
Per WikiPedia
The film is one of the MGM musicals that entered the public domain on their 28th anniversaries because MGM did not renew their copyrights.[5]

[5]Pierce, David (June 2007). "Forgotten Faces: Why Some of Our Cinema Heritage Is Part of the Public Domain". Film History: An International Journal. 19 (2): 125–43. doi:10.2979/FIL.2007.19.2.125. ISSN 0892-2160. JSTOR 25165419. OCLC 15122313. S2CID 191633078.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks